“Brilliant staff”

Best Western Kings Manor Hotel
Ranked #48 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Stayed here for a week while on business and couldn't have asked for a better place. When I arrived my company had not booked me in properly but seeing how tired I was the reception staff helped me out with a temporary room which ended up being a suite! They said I would probably have to movemext morning but management morning to keep me there for the week. It was luxury for me. Having a restaurant and bistro on site was great and everyone was so helpful. Would not be able Trafford this place on vacation but if you can do as it is worth it. The only possible downside is limited parking although I never had a problem finding a space. Thankyou to all the staff.

Room Tip: Room at back is best for quietness
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Fifescribe, Manager at Best Western Kings Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. I am delighted that we managed to look after you well on your stay and hope that we may welcome you back at some point in the future.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,305)

Reviewed 5 November 2012

We spent 5 nights here. We picked this location for the free parking, location, and price. Edinburgh downtown is an easy bus ride from the front of the hotel. Not worth driving there. Our room was upgraded to a club room before we arrived. Very nice room. Did not use the pool area but it did look very nice. Had a lovely dinner in their hotel. Front desk employees were all helpful.
I would recommend this property to anyone and would stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us. I am delighted that ‘doing your homework’ prior to your visit have borne fruit with an enjoyable stay.

Reviewed 2 November 2012

My daughter and I stayed at this hotel from friday 26th October until the 28th October. On arrival we were allocated our room which was a disappointment. I am a member of this hotel and expected better. I returned to reception and had a chat with the receptionist who was lovely, she said the hotel was really busy at present due to a lot of youngsters in doing workshops over two days, she would try and find an alternative room that day, but if that wasn't possible, would saturday morning be OK, I agreed to this and went out for the afternoon. On my return the receptionist said she had found us another room which would be ready in about 1/2 an hour, to go and pack up our belongings just now. She then called our room to advise the new room was ready and escorted us to it, This new room was a club room and much more to our liking and what we are used to in Best Western hotels, she then called about an hour later to ask if the room was fine and if we were happy, which was an extra wee touch, the rest of our stay was fine. We enjoyed the facilities in the fitness centre and in the restaurant for breakfast, although on the sunday, the staff seemed a bit harrassed and had to clear a table for us to sit at, they then forgot to ask us if we wished tea or coffee and toast, we had to ask them. The food however, was excellent and we thoroughly enjoyed it. I would recommend this hotel to family and friends.

Room Tip: Ask for a club room
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay after an initial hiatus with your room.

Reviewed 30 October 2012

Just got back from a 4 day/3 night trip to Edinburgh, during which we stayed at the Kings Manor. We've been to Edinburgh many times, but never to this hotel before. Main reason we chose the hotel was price, we like two twin rooms and the cost for this at hotels we've previously stayed in was very high.

Booking

We stumbled across the hotel accidentally during an Expedia search, the price on a room-only basis was very reasonable, it had leisure club facilities which the kids enjoy and the option for interconnecting rooms was a bonus. I phoned the hotel up directly to enquire about breakfast and to get more details about the possibility of interconnecting rooms, and whilst I was on the phone asked for a quote directly from the hotel. It was £170 more than Expedia, which seems very odd to me - how can going through a third party which takes a cut be better business for the hotel? As such, I booked through Expedia and requested adjacent/interconnecting rooms if possible.

Arrival

We arrived around 1pm and were pleased to hear our rooms were ready. They were adjacent but not interconnecting, a minor inconvenience but one I'd hoped the hotel would be able to address as we had made the reservation over a month ago. We were directed to our rooms and offered assistance with our luggage.

Rooms

Rooms are decent enough, beds were comfortable, TV with Freeview channels, hairdryer, tea/coffee facilities. Bathrooms were very nice, appear to have recently been renovated. Plenty of coathangers which makes a change. We asked for a fridge in one room, and one was more or less immediately brought up (small tabletop beer fridge).

Location

The hotel is 7 or 8 miles outside the city centre and apart from houses there isn't really anything else (pub/srestaurants/shops) nearby. The beach and promenade are around a half mile walk away, sure this is very pleasant on a warm summers day (decent enough on a clear chilly October morning). Bus service (44) to the city centre is very good, stops outside the hotel, every 10 minutes through the day and every half hour in the evening. It can get quite busy on the bus (lots of stopping) but you should be on Princes St in 20-25 minutes. The hotel has free booklets with bus information on, which is useful.

Breakfast

Breakfast was a bit of a disappointment really. When on a room-only basis, it is £10 for adults/£5 for kids if you book on arrival (£12.50 adult/not sure for kids otherwise). So for a family of four for 3 nights it adds up to a lot of money. We were able to haggle, but nonetheless it was still expensive. Service was patchy, we were shown to a table each morning and told someone would take our order for tea/coffee/toast but on 2 out of 3 times no-one did and we had to ask. Decent enough selection of fruit/cereal and cooked breakfast items, however the latter wasn't very warm (particularly on Sunday when I heard others complaining). Also, all fish options (mackerel/kippers/herring) had run out by 9am on Sunday. I think if I had my time again we'd get the bus into the city centre first thing and eat there.

Other Meals/Drinks

We ate a couple of times in the Bistro at lunchtime, food selection was pretty good and there is a full menu all day at weekends (12-2:30 and 6:30 onwards weekdays, sandwich menu outside these times). Beer and soft drinks were reasonably priced (under £3 for Bud, £1.50 for a can of Irn Bru). Only down side is that Sky Sports is only shown in the bar area, and kids aren't allowed in there. As such, we couldn't watch the Liverpool/Everton game on Sunday.

Leisure Club

Very good Leisure Club, the Fountain Spa. Complimentary towels each visit, gym was decent enough and the pool area was excellent (20m long/1.25m deep, small kiddy pool, jacuzzi, sauna and steam rooms). My wife was impressed that hotel residents were able to book on the exercise classes (zumba etc) free of charge - problem was she didn't bring her kit!

Overall we enjoyed our stay and would definitely go back if we can get as good a deal.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family

If i can take up a few of the points that you raised. We have a few interconnecting rooms , but they also fulfil other categories , such as ground floor rooms. Unfortunately we were unable to free up two rooms for the length of your stay. As you say we do try to respect all requests made to us , but sometimes things are just not possible. The hotel is just over 3 miles from the city centre and the train from Brunstane takes 7 or 8 minutes if speed of access to the city is important. At the time of your booking we were working on a targeted promotion with our partners Expedia , which we are delighted that you could take advantage of. On this occasion Expedias promotion was better than we were offering directly. This is something that we are working on to ensure that 3rd party promotions can be matched by contacting the hotel directly. I do hope that we can host a future stay.

Reviewed 27 October 2012

We had our wedding day at the kings manor on the 8th September 2012 what a fantastic day we had from start to finish all went really well the service was second to none !!
The meal was lovely and served without any effort at all everyone commented that their food was delicious also disco was great
Arora was the wedding cocordinater this day and looked after us all the way
The service was 5star treatment and we would just like to say a massive thank you once again for making our day so special

Room Tip: ask for a club room
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time out from your married life to post a review of your Big Day. We are all delighted that everything went well and you chose to share this special occasion with us.
May we all wish you both a long and happy marriage

Reviewed 24 October 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for a weekend (19-21 october) our first time in Edinburgh. Not too far from the city centre however the bus is a bit of a nightmare as it must stop every 60 meters or so (this has nothing to.do with the hotel), buses stop right outside and run every 5-10 mins... Hotel facilities were great, my kids made full use of the pools.. We ordered room service, and although they made a mistake it was quickly rectified and our replacement was brought straight away. I can safely say we will be returning for another stay and are all really looking forward to it... Many thanks for a great weekend

• Stayed: October 2012
Fifescribe, Manager at Best Western Kings Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay, we are all delighted that you enjoyed your stay. The bus service is really great for getting to the city , it runs every 10 minutes at peak times. It does stop frequently, as all busses do, but sit on the top deck and get a city tour for £1.40! If you are in a hurry the train will get you to Princes Street in 7 minutes. I hope that we can welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 23 October 2012

I organised a group of 50 people to stay at this hotel. Alistair, the manager, was fantastic and so were all the staff.
After we went to the late Saturday show at the Royal Edinburgh Tattoo they had tea, coffee and shortbread waiting for us and of course the bar was available too.
It is easy to get to the centre of Edinburgh by using Lothian Bus 44 which stops outside the hotel.
The food, spa (free to residents and well worth a visit) and room facilities were brilliant, even had Playstation2 for the bigger children of the group!!
Thank you for a wonderful weekend Kings Manor and I hope we'll be back in the near future.

Room Tip: Our party were split over the new and older building and no-one could say anything about the 28 room...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay in August. I am delighted that your party enjoyed your stay with us, due in no small part to your efforts prior to arrival so that we were familiar with what you required during your stay. I hope that we can host your some of your party again in the future.