“A perfect night away”

GreenLeadersGold level
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“A perfect night away”
Reviewed 12 April 2013

A week after our wedding which didnt live up to expectations at all we decided to have a night away together to try and make up for stressfull wedding the weekend before. I explained on the phone what had happened and the girl could not have been more helpful! She even booked us into the honeymoon suite at no extra cost.
Yes the room was slightly dated and could do with a revamp but we had a lovely/ peaceful night away. Margaret on reception was fantastic. First class customer service skills and really made us feel so welcome! The hotel had left a congratulations card and chocolates in our room. Had already put in more effort than our wedding venue.
The leisure facilitices are lovely and clean and our meal in the bistro was great.
We will be returning and wouldnt hesitate to recommend!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Fifescribe, Manager at Best Western Kings Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 17 April 2013
Thank you for your kind words following your recent stay we home that your second Honeymoon will tempt you to come back to visit us again

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Hungarian first
Reviewed 12 April 2013

I have hardly slept at all as the lift near my room is extremely noisy and is in use constantly through out the night. The poorly fitting door to my room has a large gap around it the allows a lot of light to come into the room from the hallway. The gym users get the front parking spaces so I had to park around the back and carry my heavy luggage around to the front. I was asked if I had stayed here before to which I replied no and I can honestly say I will not be in the future.

• Stayed April 2013
I read with much regret of your dissatisfaction with your stay. Its unfortunate that you did not raise any of the points with my colleagues during your stay. I am unfortunately slightly puzzled about some of your comments. You comment that a lift near your room was in constant use throughout the night. Lifts are of course only in use when people use them and ordinarily use of lifts between midnight and 6am is very light. I was not aware of any room that was affected by noise from a lift. Perhaps you would be kid enough to contact the hotel with the room number and we can check if there is a fault somewhere.
Similarly there should be no light coming through a gap in the door as they are designed to hold back a fire for 30 minutes. Obviously if there is a gap this would not be the case. Once more I ask you to contact the hotel with the room number so we can attend to this serious fault.
Car parking is unrestricted. No spaces are specifically reserved for gym members or guests its a first come first served situation. I would suggest that if all the front car parking spaces were taken by gym users then they would all be clear within and hour or so , you can move your car to a spot more suited to you. Assistance with luggage is always offered at reception.
We do not hoover public areas at 4 in the morning
I am sorry that our hotel has not been able to meet your expectations but I would be extremely grateful if you can contact the hotel with your room number so our maintenance team can attend to the faults that you describe.
Selby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 April 2013

A return trip, previously enjoyed in this hotel. This break was Sunday to Wednesday and nothing could really be faulted. All the staff were friendly, helpful, good natured and well informed. The hotel was kept spotlessly clean throughout our stay, all the public rooms and facilities were in excellent condition and run by staff happy to assist whilst being inobtrusive. The room we stayed in was extremely comfortable and well equipped, overlooking a grassed area to the rear of the hotel it was warm and very quiet, there were times when we thought we were the only people in the hotel. the meals we took both in the main restaraunt and the bistro were delightfully presented, hot and excellent value for money.
The hotel sited just outside Edinburgh but on the main road meant it has easy access to the city centre by a cheap and plentiful bus service. The staff are able to give advice about this and all aspects of anything a tourist staying near to this beautiful city might want to know...

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your kind review. We are delighted that you found both our facilities and our staffs willingness to help to be as you would hope.
I hope that you can return to Edinburgh again in the near future.
Glasgow
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Very pleasant two nights stay at this hotel. Rooms were very clean and food excellent. Waiting staff and receptionists very helpful. Conveniently situated for visiting Musselburgh and Portobello. Didn't have time to sample the swimming pool or the spa facilities.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your review of your stay I hope on a future stay you will have more chance to make full use of all our spa facilities
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2013

The friendly and helpful staff made my stay really enjoyable. In particular the housekeeping staff were great, nothing was too much trouble. The spa and gym area were excellent. I will return one day soon.

Room Tip: Go for the club room a little more but worth it
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your kind review following your recent stay with us, we hope that you can return to stay with us again in the near future.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the hotel on a business trip, in a single room. The good: Helpful staff. Very clean. Quiet. Has a bus stop right outside the hotel to go to the centre of Edinburgh. Nice parking.
The bad: The wifi in the room sometimes worked perfectly, sometimes it was very slow and a few times did not work at all. Annoying for me that needed to use it for communication through Skype and mail. A few times I had to leave the room and go to the reception to get connected. Breakfast (£10) as well as restaurant were a bit over priced taking into consideration that you could find the same prices in restaurants right next to Edinburgh castle.
Location was great, but if you did not wanted to have dinner in the hotel and you did not own a car, you had to make the 40 minute bus trip to and back the city centre, as there was nothing else to eat near the hotel.

Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your review, we are delighted that you found our staff helpful.
I am sorry that you had problems with the free WiFi service. Readers of this review site will be able to track a familiar tale. Unfortunately we have had intermittent and hard to rectify issues for some time. Installing a new filter and routers has helped a great deal but there are still a few areas in the hotel whose signal is not consistent. We are working with new suppliers to try to find a solution. We have installed new hard wired points in reception to ensure consistent signals for those that need it and to offer wired security for those needing it. Hopefully this long saga will soon be behind us and we will be able to offer a consistent free WiFi service to all guests at all times.
Breakfast when booked as part of a bed and breakfast package if £7 and would challenge anyone to find a similar quality meal any where in the city for that price.
The hotel has a restaurant, bistro and an extensive room service menu. There is a small bistro next to the hotel, there are many excellent restaurants in nearby Musselburgh and Portobello . There is a guest information book showing details of these restaurants , and some past guests comments at reception. If you wished to go to the city centre the 8 minute train trip is quicker if time is of the essence. Our front desk staff will be happy to give you more information during your next stay or you can find more information on our new ‘concierge’ web pages on our hotel web site.
sherburn in elmet
Reviewed 5 April 2013

We have just got back from a three night stay at the kings manor. Our expectations weren't that high as we only paid £100 a night for all four of us bed and breakfast! I have to say we were more than pleasantly surprised at the value for money we got. Whilst its not a 5 star palace.... It is clean, the bedrooms are a good size ( we were in a family room for four and managed more than easily), and the bathroom was lovely and looked like it had just been refitted.

The facilities were great... The swimming pool excellent and it was lovely to take advantage of the steam room and sauna. The best secret was the spa treatments. Both myself and my husband had treatments and we both agreed they were of an exceptional standard - so much so I went back a second time!!!!!

Location of the hotel is fine... The no 44 bus leaves directly outside the door and takes you into edinburgh ( cost was £1.50 each way for an adult and was a lot cheaper than a taxi).

The thing we all agreed mad our stay was the staff... I stay in hotels every week with work and can say the people at kings manor have some for the best service skills I have ever known. Nothing was too much trouble, advise always available for any problems we had - even the taxi driver was great company.

We are already looking for an excuse to visit again this year.... I hope you have as good a stay as we did!!!!! Enjoy

Room Tip: The room over the pool was warm so would ask for one a little way away
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your kind comments following your recent stay. We are delighted that you found both our facilities and our service to your liking and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future