“Faultless. Fantastic staff!!”

Best Western Kings Manor Hotel
Ranked #47 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 16 April 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night ahead of a half-marathon. Check in was great. The young man on reception arranged for an early breakfast delivered to our room. A request for porridge was no problem. He ordered our taxi for the morning, which he then arranged to be shared with other runners to keep costs down.
Service in the bistro from Victor was excellent. Food was great and keenly priced. Lots of locals in too which was a good sign.
Rooms have everything you need for a comfortable stay. Free wifi was a bonus.
There's a train station five minutes walk from the hotel, which takes 9 minutes to get to Waverley. Hotel is easy to find from the city by-pass.

Avoid the soul-less city centre chains. This family-run gem offers superb value for money with exceptional service from the staff.

• Stayed: April 2013
Fifescribe, Manager at Best Western Kings Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2013

Thank you for your kind review. I am delighted that we managed to give you a good nights rest prior to your exertions in the half Marathon.
I hope that you had a good run and that we may welcome you back at some future date ( Edinburgh Marathon 26 May?!)

Write a ReviewReviews (1,305)

Reviewed 15 April 2013

The staff was extremely helpful and pleasant during our stay, however the rooms are noisy. The walls are thin and you can hear people talking in the rooms next door, doors slamming, and the windows didn't seal properly so the wind cam right through along with the noise. The rooms could do with some rearranging to make the beds closer to the TV.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for your review I am sorry that noise from other rooms disturbed your stay. As is the case with all large buildings maintenance is a constant task. We have only just replaced windows in 22 rooms and still have a few rooms still to be done.

Reviewed 15 April 2013

WOW!!! I stayed here for 1 night on business and didnt have very high expectations as I had left until the last minute and booked what I could at the time.

I am now SO glad that I did. From the moment of arrival, everything was excellent. Plenty of free parking spaces right outside the front door. The reception team were really warm, friendly, welcoming and couldnt have been any better.

Once checked in, I was personally led by a member of the team to the lift and advised exactly where my room was.

The room its self was on the first floor and was truely huge. Nicely decorated with a few nice touches including as PS2 should I have wanted a DVD or a game! Bathroom again was a good size and very modern looking.

Free wifi in room was a real bonus and I was able to do a couple of hours work in the room which had a peaceful view over the garden.

I used the gym and leisure facilities which were well equipped and not too busy, which allowed me to use what I wanted when I wanted. The pool was a good size and I loved the Steam Room, Sauna & Jacuzzi.

Normally when I stay in hotels I rarely eat in the onsite restaurant, preferring to eat out. As the nearest places to eat were around 1.5 miles away, I decided, after a long day driving, to settle in the Bistro.

Again I was met by friendly warm staff who were so efficient and helpful, a real credit to the hotel. The food was nice & served efficiently.

The buzz/vibe in the whole hotel and dining areas was really good and quite refreshing compared to some stuffy places that I have stayed before.

I really enjoyed my stay. Even though it was only for 1 night and on business, i felt really refreshed and satisfied when I left on the Friday morning.

Thanks to all the team and the really good service.

Cant wait to stay again!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your comprehensive and kind review following your recent stay.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to welcome you back at some future date.

Reviewed 12 April 2013

A week after our wedding which didnt live up to expectations at all we decided to have a night away together to try and make up for stressfull wedding the weekend before. I explained on the phone what had happened and the girl could not have been more helpful! She even booked us into the honeymoon suite at no extra cost.
Yes the room was slightly dated and could do with a revamp but we had a lovely/ peaceful night away. Margaret on reception was fantastic. First class customer service skills and really made us feel so welcome! The hotel had left a congratulations card and chocolates in our room. Had already put in more effort than our wedding venue.
The leisure facilitices are lovely and clean and our meal in the bistro was great.
We will be returning and wouldnt hesitate to recommend!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your kind words following your recent stay we home that your second Honeymoon will tempt you to come back to visit us again

Reviewed 12 April 2013

I have hardly slept at all as the lift near my room is extremely noisy and is in use constantly through out the night. The poorly fitting door to my room has a large gap around it the allows a lot of light to come into the room from the hallway. The gym users get the front parking spaces so I had to park around the back and carry my heavy luggage around to the front. I was asked if I had stayed here before to which I replied no and I can honestly say I will not be in the future.

• Stayed: April 2013

I read with much regret of your dissatisfaction with your stay. Its unfortunate that you did not raise any of the points with my colleagues during your stay. I am unfortunately slightly puzzled about some of your comments. You comment that a lift near your room was in constant use throughout the night. Lifts are of course only in use when people use them and ordinarily use of lifts between midnight and 6am is very light. I was not aware of any room that was affected by noise from a lift. Perhaps you would be kid enough to contact the hotel with the room number and we can check if there is a fault somewhere.
Similarly there should be no light coming through a gap in the door as they are designed to hold back a fire for 30 minutes. Obviously if there is a gap this would not be the case. Once more I ask you to contact the hotel with the room number so we can attend to this serious fault.
Car parking is unrestricted. No spaces are specifically reserved for gym members or guests its a first come first served situation. I would suggest that if all the front car parking spaces were taken by gym users then they would all be clear within and hour or so , you can move your car to a spot more suited to you. Assistance with luggage is always offered at reception.
We do not hoover public areas at 4 in the morning
I am sorry that our hotel has not been able to meet your expectations but I would be extremely grateful if you can contact the hotel with your room number so our maintenance team can attend to the faults that you describe.

Reviewed 11 April 2013

A return trip, previously enjoyed in this hotel. This break was Sunday to Wednesday and nothing could really be faulted. All the staff were friendly, helpful, good natured and well informed. The hotel was kept spotlessly clean throughout our stay, all the public rooms and facilities were in excellent condition and run by staff happy to assist whilst being inobtrusive. The room we stayed in was extremely comfortable and well equipped, overlooking a grassed area to the rear of the hotel it was warm and very quiet, there were times when we thought we were the only people in the hotel. the meals we took both in the main restaraunt and the bistro were delightfully presented, hot and excellent value for money.
The hotel sited just outside Edinburgh but on the main road meant it has easy access to the city centre by a cheap and plentiful bus service. The staff are able to give advice about this and all aspects of anything a tourist staying near to this beautiful city might want to know...

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your kind review. We are delighted that you found both our facilities and our staffs willingness to help to be as you would hope.
I hope that you can return to Edinburgh again in the near future.

Reviewed 8 April 2013

Very pleasant two nights stay at this hotel. Rooms were very clean and food excellent. Waiting staff and receptionists very helpful. Conveniently situated for visiting Musselburgh and Portobello. Didn't have time to sample the swimming pool or the spa facilities.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your review of your stay I hope on a future stay you will have more chance to make full use of all our spa facilities