“GOOD FOOD/STAFF”

GreenLeadersGold level
NORTH LANARKSHIRE
“GOOD FOOD/STAFF”
Reviewed 27 April 2013

I visited the King Manor Hotel last week for lunch and was welcomed with a smile and shown to my table. I was then given the menu and my drinks order was taken, by the time my drinks arrived I was asked what I would like to order. Again this was taken with a smile and a bit of advice on what was on the menu.

Over all I was very happy with the service and the food is out of this world, there is no skimping on what is put on your plate.

This is well worth a visit, when you leave the hotel it is just a short walk across the road to the beach.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Fifescribe, Manager at Best Western Kings Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 3 May 2013
Thank you for posting a review of your lunch. It is very kind of you to take the time to do so. I know our bistro staff are very encouraged by your comments

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
  • Hungarian first
Ayrshire
Reviewed 22 April 2013

My wife and I spent two nights at King's Manor prior to a Wedding elsewhere in the city.Staff at reception were most welcoming and over the two days dealt with any enquiries from our group in a most courteous manner. Our two bedrooms were very clean (allowances were made for us all changing for the wedding by the cleaning staff) and bright (with a nice view along the Forth of Forth - as well as of Cockenzie power station! The room also had a good selection of tourist information and usual tea/coffee etc. Bed was spotless and very comfortable, while bathroom was also very clean. Evening meal was taken in the Zest Bistro, which was fairly busy, but no-one had to wait very long for their meal. There was a varied choice on the menu, but I made the mistake of opting for the pizza Why a mistake? It was delicious, and freshly made, but I could not finish it, it was so big!
After the meal our party adjourned to the adjoining bar, which was not at all noisy. Our only minor criticism here was that the bar which served the Bistro and bar had only one till serving both sides, and sometimes only one member of staff serving at the bar (on a Friday night?). We were there to chat to old friends, but did hear a few mutterings from people waiting to be served.

Room Tip: Avoid the view of the power station, even if it is a fair distance away.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for your kind review. I am sorry that bar service was not as speedy as it could have been. It is always difficult to predict demand at weekends and normally we an pull in staff from other departments if it gets unusually busy.
I am delighted that you enjoyed the sea view covering all of the scenic splendour and industrial past of the area.
IL
Reviewed 20 April 2013 via mobile

This is a nice enough hotel out in the suburbs. The place has seen better days but the staff is friendly and the restaurants are good. There is a spa and work out area which seemed nice.

The most annoying thing is that while the wifi is free they seem to have a lot of trouble with it and getting on was very hit or miss, usually miss.

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Thanks for taking the time to post a review. I am disappointed that you felt ‘ we had seen better days’ We have a full time maintenance team of 4 to cover painting etc and spend in excess of £200K every year on new furnishings, carpets etc. It is a large building but we feel that we keep largely on top of things to keep the hotel in good order. Unfortunately you obviously are not of the same opinion.
You have touched on a tender spot with WiFi! Regular readers of these reviews will see that we have had issues with Wifi at different times over the years. Although the system continues to be a free service to our guests we sympathise when things do not work as they should. We have light at the end of the tunnel! Having basically changed every single part of the system over the past 3 months . our internet provider has now admitted that there is a fault on the incoming line to the hotel from the local exchange( which we suggested 2 years ago!). The line has now had a temporary repair but there is no scheduled date for a permanent fix. We have signed up with a new provider to give us a fibre option line with speeds over 60mb. This should be operational in a couple of weeks and WiFi issues will hopefully be a thing of the past!
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2013

This was in an excellent location as l was at Musselburgh Races for a few days, unfortunately l believe this is what caused our main problem with Kings Manor. The welcome as we arrived at the check in desk was superb, genuine people with great people skills. Check in was efficent and we were in our room in minutes.

The room was spacious, very comfortable and had a good sized television. There was internet available but it was not very good, take a mifi or dongle with you. We had room service which was quick but the food was average. The room that we had was a disabled room so we could sleep 4, problem with 4 people having showers (no bath) is that an extractor fan is vital. After 2 of us had used the shower the bathroom had flooded, the disabled access shower didn't help.

We got off to sleep around 1am and then were woke at 4am by loads of drunk jocks slobbering in the rooms around us and above us, this continued until 8am believe it or not and there was no way you could get to sleep. Consequently we had to give the breakfast we had paid for a swerve as we got a few hours extra sleep, luckily the kind staff didn't hurry us out.

I would definitely stay here again, but not when there was racing the next day, they have a great set up in a good location and lm sure that there was loads we never seen in the hotel, the gym and spa looked great! I also had a dog with me which was welcomed and there was plenty of grass areas around the hotel that could be used for excercise and the toilet....

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Fifescribe, Manager at Best Western Kings Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 17 April 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.
I am sorry that you were disturbed by fellow guests. We have a manager on duty 24 hours a day – as it says in the guest information folder. We take very seriously any behaviour by guests that impinges on the comfort of other guests. Should such unruly behaviour been pointed out to us at the time we would have certainly taken prompt action to sort things out. Unfortunately at this stage all I can do is offer an apology and an assurance that if you were to stay with us again in the future, in the unlikely event of guests behaviour being and issue, we would deal with it immediately and effectively.
I am sorry that you had a problem with excess steam from the shower. I have asked our maintenance team to check out the extractor fan in that room.
Glasgow
Reviewed 16 April 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night ahead of a half-marathon. Check in was great. The young man on reception arranged for an early breakfast delivered to our room. A request for porridge was no problem. He ordered our taxi for the morning, which he then arranged to be shared with other runners to keep costs down.
Service in the bistro from Victor was excellent. Food was great and keenly priced. Lots of locals in too which was a good sign.
Rooms have everything you need for a comfortable stay. Free wifi was a bonus.
There's a train station five minutes walk from the hotel, which takes 9 minutes to get to Waverley. Hotel is easy to find from the city by-pass.

Avoid the soul-less city centre chains. This family-run gem offers superb value for money with exceptional service from the staff.

• Stayed April 2013
Thank you for your kind review. I am delighted that we managed to give you a good nights rest prior to your exertions in the half Marathon.
I hope that you had a good run and that we may welcome you back at some future date ( Edinburgh Marathon 26 May?!)
Lake Villa, Illinois
Reviewed 15 April 2013

The staff was extremely helpful and pleasant during our stay, however the rooms are noisy. The walls are thin and you can hear people talking in the rooms next door, doors slamming, and the windows didn't seal properly so the wind cam right through along with the noise. The rooms could do with some rearranging to make the beds closer to the TV.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for your review I am sorry that noise from other rooms disturbed your stay. As is the case with all large buildings maintenance is a constant task. We have only just replaced windows in 22 rooms and still have a few rooms still to be done.
Bewdley
Reviewed 15 April 2013

WOW!!! I stayed here for 1 night on business and didnt have very high expectations as I had left until the last minute and booked what I could at the time.

I am now SO glad that I did. From the moment of arrival, everything was excellent. Plenty of free parking spaces right outside the front door. The reception team were really warm, friendly, welcoming and couldnt have been any better.

Once checked in, I was personally led by a member of the team to the lift and advised exactly where my room was.

The room its self was on the first floor and was truely huge. Nicely decorated with a few nice touches including as PS2 should I have wanted a DVD or a game! Bathroom again was a good size and very modern looking.

Free wifi in room was a real bonus and I was able to do a couple of hours work in the room which had a peaceful view over the garden.

I used the gym and leisure facilities which were well equipped and not too busy, which allowed me to use what I wanted when I wanted. The pool was a good size and I loved the Steam Room, Sauna & Jacuzzi.

Normally when I stay in hotels I rarely eat in the onsite restaurant, preferring to eat out. As the nearest places to eat were around 1.5 miles away, I decided, after a long day driving, to settle in the Bistro.

Again I was met by friendly warm staff who were so efficient and helpful, a real credit to the hotel. The food was nice & served efficiently.

The buzz/vibe in the whole hotel and dining areas was really good and quite refreshing compared to some stuffy places that I have stayed before.

I really enjoyed my stay. Even though it was only for 1 night and on business, i felt really refreshed and satisfied when I left on the Friday morning.

Thanks to all the team and the really good service.

Cant wait to stay again!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your comprehensive and kind review following your recent stay.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to welcome you back at some future date.