“Just average”

GreenLeadersGold level
Ipswich, Australia
“Just average”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

As the title of this review states, this hotel is just average. Having spent 2 nights here, I was able to experience most of the facilities located within the complex, including the restaurant (for breakfast), the bistro (for dinner) as well as the bar.
I will split this review into 2 sections, firstly the negatives and then the positives.
The first initial negative would be the location and kerb appeal of the hotel. Its a little bit away from everything and is screaming out for a bit of a make-over. The bistro food was adequate, not the best I've had but definitely not the worse. Finally, the room was fairly small, but at least it was clean.
Now, the positives. The staff are friendly and helpful. The breakfast buffet was fantastic. But, for me, the best positive was the bar area - good service, good layout, and great range and prices.
Overall, with a bit of a refurbishment, this hotel would be a good place to stay.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Fifescribe, Manager at Best Western Kings Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Thank you for posting such a well ordered review. I am delighted that you found the hotel friendly and Welcoming.
The hotels suburban location suits many with its quieter atmosphere and large free car park. Some guests may prefer to have the hubbub of the city being in the midst of everything including the traffic and late night revellers, and of course the cost of a city centre location. The choice is yours.
The hotel reinvests around £300K a year in repairs and general decorative items – not including major projects. At present it is around 2/3 of the way through our annual external maintenance and painting the effect of this is already making a difference

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
  • Hungarian first
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2014

This is going to be quite a difficult review to write, because as the title suggests I have some conflicting opinions of the hotel and it's associated facilities.. but in the interests of a fair review it's only proper that I try to give examples of both.

Firstly, the BIG question is.. would we recommend this hotel to others, and the answer would most certainly be yes we would!

The hotel itself doesn't have a tremendous kerb appeal in my opinion, don't get me wrong it doesn't look bad in any way... it just doesn't look 'stand out good'! However the exterior looks are deceptive, the rooms (specifically Club Rooms) are comfortable, spacious and clean with all the facilities one might expect from a 3* hotel.

If I had to gripe about anything regarding the room was that they can feel somewhat stuffy on a warm day.. ventilation proved to be something of an issue on these days despite having the windows wide open. I realise this might be appear to be a trivial point to some, but subjectively this did impact on my sleep.

The staff at King's Manor are first rate, they are in my experience all very friendly, polite and helpful. They did their absolute utmost accomodate our needs or to rectify any issues that we faced during our stay. I couldn't really offer anything other than high praise for all the staff that I dealt with.. they are a credit to the hotel.

Reading the previous paragraph though, one might come to the conclusion that there were some issues during our stay.. and unfortunately yes there were, hence the conflicting opinions mentioned earlier.

Some of the issues were simply minor maintenace problems that can happen anywhere at anytime and were duly reported (if you don't report these things it could be a long time before the hotel realises there is a problem), although the inability to rectify at least one of the problems all week was a little disappointing.

The other issues that we had were in our opinion a little more serious, and for us indicated a potential problem with 'quality control' with regards to food preparation that needs addressing even if simply to ensure these were isolated incidents!

On two sperate occasions we ordered food from the Bistro (by room service & in the Bistro itself) and it arrived in what can only be described as improperly cooked. Normally I accept that mistakes can be made but to happen twice in less than a week (and that was just to us) is not acceptable.

The best way I can describe the problem was that it was akin to the food being microwaved unevenly somehow, where some parts of the dish are piping hot while others were stone cold.

I do have to say that on both occasions the problems were raised, and the staff again dealt with the immediate issues admirably and to our satisfaction. But the problems caused by eating cold grey prawns might not have been quite so easy to deal with!

So that's it in a nutshell, while yes I've been critical I do have to reitterate that we enjoyed our stay at Kings Manor, and if we decided on another Edinburgh break would seriously consider staying here again, even if to simply try out the many varied helath and spa facilities available that we just didn't have time for!

Room Tip: Upgrade to a Club Room!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to provide such a detailed review of your stay. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and would come back again. Thank you for highlighting the issues with the bistro food. No food is prepared by using a microwave. The small kitchen in the bistro, which also provides the room service menu uses traditional solid top stove, oven griddle and pizza oven to cook all items. The only issue that we are currently aware of , before your review, is that food going up to room service is not staying as hot as would like, The metal plate covers are not providing enough insulation , particularly if a guest is eating a starter before tackling the main course. Plate covers providing better insulation that we have been able to source so far really do not look at all attractive. We have are awaiting alternatives from other suppliers which will hopefully help this issue.
The idea of serving ‘grey’ prawn whether hot or cold does fill me with a great deal of dread. I certainly would like to get to the bottom of this. If you have time maybe you could contact one of our management team to get some more feedback.
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2014

We spent 2 nights here last weekend and had a lovely stay. The building itself doesnt look to appealing from outside and needs a lick of paint, but the inside is fine. Our room was lovely, bed was comfy and big. Had a bath and shower in the bathroom which was great. Staff were very helpful too and the bar very reasonably priced for a hotel. Short walk from the brustane train station, where trains run every half an hour straight into the city center in less than 10 minutes. Would definitley return.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your comments on your recent stay. You will doubtlessly have noticed that the exterior of the hotel has just started its summer make over with the car park being resurfaced and painted , the atrium at the front door re painted and work starting on the other entrances. Hopefully things will look a bit tidier when next you visit.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2014

The King's Manor used to have an excellent bistro, and I was there nearly every week. However, standards began to fall a couple of years ago, so I stopped going. I went back for a very poor Christmas Day dinner last Xmas, and gave the bistro one more try recently. Sadly, the quality is as bad as it was two years ago. The staff are all delightful, but the bistro decor is rooted in the seventies, there is no ambience, and the food looks and tastes like its been through the microwave more than once.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Fifescribe, Manager at Best Western Kings Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your disappointment at your meal in Options Bistro.
The bistro was not built in the ‘70s’ So I am unclear as to how it has ‘70s’ decor. But peoples tastes in decor are purely individual. Generally the reaction to the room is one that is relaxing and comfortable.
I am sorry that you did not enjoy your food. It unfortunate that you did not raise any issues with my colleagues whilst you were in as we could have looked at any issues that we could do something about.
Fortunately , as your fellow reviewers indicate your opinion of the standard of food is a minority one.
We would be delighted to discuss any issues with you to try to convert you back to a regular user.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I chose this hotel for our weeks stay in Edinburgh because of the facilities and location and was delighted when it lived up to expectations. The gym & indoor pool were more than adequate and exceptionally well maintained. The front of house staff were helpful in recommending good restaurants and the range of choice offered at breakfast was huge. The hotels location in a quiet suburb, just 10 minutes by cab from the heart of the City was ideal. We occasionally also used the local bus service given that it was frequent and there is a bus stop next to the hotel. The rooms were comfortable and quite large and featured both a bath and walk-in shower. Given the very reasonable cost and the good experience, I will be happy to use this hotel again.

Room Tip: The hotel consists of the older traditional part and a newer more modern extension. We were allocate...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your kind comments, I hope that we can welcome you back again at some future date.