“Happy”

GreenLeadersGold level
North Yorkshire
“Happy”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I stayed with my daughter just few days ago.
I thought that the hotel was very good for location, service and quality.
I slept very well, the room was clean and so was the bathroom.
I will use it again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Gioinharrogate
Fifescribe, Manager at Best Western Kings Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Thank you for your very succinct review of your stay,. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
  • Hungarian first
Salina, Malta
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Very friendly receptionist on check-in and check-out. We were only there for one night, but the room was spacious and comfortable. Nice breakfast in the morning. We had dinner at the bistro which was quite good, pity they couldn't serve coffee after 10pm as they had cleaned the machine for the night!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your kind comments. Sorry about the mix up with your coffee there was an issue with the machine so they started the cleaning early. Someone should have offered to get you coffee from the restaurant machine. Sorry!
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

I'm actually in the middle of my nights stay and I'm already writing a review! I arrived around 5pm, entered my room to find the previous occupiers bottled water, sweets and other confectionery scattered around the room - I then went into the bathroom to find wet towels!! When the porter visited to remove this I didn't feel any real apology, quite the opposite I felt blame! I then went to options restaurant - as a vegetarian I ordered a pasta, which was average but then discovered what looked like chicken, when I pointed this out I was told it was quorn, definitely quorn! Why I asked as it wasn't in the menu description? A mistake by a new chef I was told - not a convincing response I think it was chicken, again no real acceptance of doing anything wrong - also charged me full price! It's a shame as the room is nice but already just want to checkout:-(

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank John G
Fifescribe, Manager at Best Western Kings Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Thank you for taking the trouble to post your review following you stay with us. There was as you point out, an issue with your room not being correctly serviced prior to your arrival. In fact two separate levels of checks failed to spot the error until it was to late and you had arrived, I think we were so shocked that this had happened, and concerned to see how it had happened, that we failed miserably to deal with the main issue, that of course being you, the customer, and the fact that you had a disappointing start to your stay. We allocated our porter to dealing with serving the room whilst the rest of us looked at what had gone wrong, and continued looking at the compiling errors that meant that room was not serviced properly. We should have obviously spent more time in apologising to you, I do this now , if somewhat belatedly.
Your pasta dish was described as ‘Roast Mediterranean Vegetable with Pesto Sauce’, I can only think that the chef got it slightly confused with its predecessor on the menu ‘Roast Vegetable and Quorn Pasta!’ . Again another mystery as to how such an error was made and one that you are undoubtedly due another apology for!
We do hope that you try us again at a future date where you will see that such errors are not common place.
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2014

This is quite an old hotel, and had by far the smallest bed we had slept in on our travels through Scotland. That said the room was good. It was a really friendly place to stay . We ate in lauders restaurant and in the Bistro on site, and both were good. It is a maze of corridors, fun to find our way around. A bus runs from just outside into Edinburgh, but this is far enough away from the city to be a pleasant place to stay. I have no problems with it being slightly old, and we really enjoyed staying here. Breakfast was buffet style and very good. Would stay there again (but not too sure I want to visit Edinburgh again, having been several times!)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your kind words, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. All our double beds are either Queen or King size beds , all single beds as standard 2 metre by 1 metre beds.
Musselburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Have just returned from my first beauty treatment at the Fountain Spa with Heather, felt as though I had known her for some time with her friendliness and extremely professional manner. Well done! Will be returning. Thank you

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Thank you for taking the time to post your report on your beauty treatment, I am delighted that the quality of the treatment was matched by the friendliness of the service
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We stayed for 2 nights in April 2014,we found the staff to be helpful and friendly but the hotel position was far from any thing except a small shopping centre about 20 min walk as we were on a coach tour we were restricted on where we could go. The hotel is old and needs to be refurbished from the outside it looks old and as if more of the hotel had been added on as time went by, the wifi did not work on the 2nd floor despite the staff assuring me it would so had to foyer to get a signal, found the elevator after the staff directed us to our room via the stairs. probably would stay else ware next time.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for posting a review of your stay in April. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay despite a few reservations.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2014

The staff here really made the place. Helpful lasses at check in always make things easy.

The main thing that got me off to an angry start was arriving in my rom to find two single beds when I'd clearly booked a double. Lots of hotels think they can get away with this lately which is getting on my nerves.
I asked the girls the quickest way to Porto beach to go for a run and asked if they'd find me a double bed and move my things whilst I was away. They did so sorted.

Other good points
-The gym and pool are great. Good size and lots of kit to play with
-Nice terrace outside of hotel if it's sunny
-TV channels have BT sport!

Where you really need to improve
-WIFI is terrible. Had to use my 3G phone to do work after an hour of trying
-Beds are springy and feel cheap mattresses. Way below expectations of today
-Terrible cheap washing / bathroom stuff

Would I stay again? Nope.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay.
Many of our guests choose to book with us via on line booking agencies in the mistaken understanding that they may be cheaper than buying direct. This is never the case and it has the very bad consequence of us not being able to contact guests before they are as these agents don’t usually give us your contact details. Any questions we have about the type of room twin or double or any aspect of your stay we have to guess and hope to rectify at check in, never the best way to start a stay. May I suggest if you are booking through an agency that you take a few minutes to double check with the hotel before you arrive to ensure that the hotel has the correct details of your booking. As you suggest changing a twin to a double on arrival is usually not an issue but it is an annoyance. No hotel would ever try to put you in a twin instead of a double as a matter of policy it makes no sense, even down to costs, its cheaper to launder two double sheets than 4 singles! As you suggest that this seems to be more prevalent in a number of hotels, I would suggest a quick contact to the hotel before your arrival would help everyone concerned.
Wifi remains one of the great unsolved mysteries of the hotel. It works really well for ages then it just refuses to work at any speed without being rebooted. We have had ‘experts’ looking at it, new equipment put in, extra node points installed and it still has issues. Normally these are solved by a quick reboot of the system. Its unfortunate that you did not let us know and we probably could have solved the issue for you.
Beds and Mattresses’ are top level contract furnishings, all being replaced every 12 to 18 months.
The bathroom soaps and shampoos are provided by Gaskill and Soames which are recognised as quality toiletry providers.
I am sorry that we did not match your needs.