“Superb room - great value.”

Best Western Kings Manor Hotel
Ranked #41 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersGold level
Skye
“Superb room - great value.”
Reviewed 21 September 2009

We stayed here on a visit to the university. Staff are excellent. Great welcome and very efficient. Good free parking on site.
We had a superb room, kingsize bed and 2 singles. Free Wi-Fi and superb television.
Leisure club is excellent. Very friendly, helpful staff. Well organised and super pool. Excellent to relax in after a busy day in the city. Excellent bus transport into the city. £1.20 single or get a Day Pass for £3. Bus outside the hotel and an enjoyable ride into the city on the upper deck. Cheap way of seeing the sights!
We rate this hotel VERY highly. We will be returning many times as one daughter has just started at Edinburgh University and we live on the Isle of Skye!
Highly recommended.

Stayed September 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
  • Hungarian first
New Jersey
Reviewed 15 September 2009

This hotel is a little out of the way. Bus service is good on weekdays, but limited on weekends. Taxi was approx. 12 pounds to downtown Edinburgh. That being said, the rooms and service that you get for the price were worth this small inconvenience. As long as you are looking for a restful place to sleep after a long busy day sightseeing in Edinburgh and you are not looking for a party, this place is great. We had club rooms, and they were very comfortable. The beds were some of the best we had in our whole Scotland trip. We ended up taking advantage of the room service almost every night, and were quite satisfied with it. This was also one of the only places in our trip that had a pool, which we used once (our 8 yr old daughter) out of our 3-night stay. Every one of the people at the desk that we came in contact with were cheeful and helpful. Free internet access was very welcome. Free parking. To summarize, this hotel had everything we needed!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank njmom83
Sao Paulo, Brasil
Reviewed 29 August 2009

Located at Portobello Beach, Kings Manor is not a luxurious or trendy hotel, but ok just to sleep after a whole day sightseeing. The swimming pool is the high point, very nice to relax (even though the water is not as hot as I imagined). The hotel is pretty old and so the furniture looks a bit shabby. The carpet looked dusty and the bathroom was ugly. When we arrived the curtain of the shower was very smelly, and the smell had spread in the bathroom, but when we complained to the staff, they quickly sent someone to our room to change it for another one that was in good condition. The room had squeaky floorboards, and the floor was also “leaning”, I mean, one side was lower than the other (probably because of the age of the hotel).
When we booked, they said we could have a fridge in the room, but what they gave us was a tiny something that looked like an egg (see picture), a cooler to store medicine. So we weren’t able to buy snacks and things for our breakfast.
But the real problem, in my opinion, is the location. Although there is a bus stop in front of the hotel and the buses are quite frequent, it is very far from the city center, about 30 minutes on the bus, and there is nothing (I mean really nothing) near the hotel. No grocery shops, no drugstores, no restaurants. The hotel did have two good restaurants (if they didn’t, we would need a bus to go somewhere to eat) that were not very costly. The hotel is not very near the beach either, you need to go over an awkward path to get to it. And that part of the beach was empty, nothing around.
I do recommend it, though, because it was the best price we could find for a reasonable hotel in Edinburgh (50 pounds a day in July). We really searched a lot before traveling, and we found either very expensive or cheap but very ugly and dirty hotels.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Kent
Reviewed 7 August 2009

I spent a very enjoyable week in the Kings Manor. I have stayed in Best Western hotels across the country, but found this one in particular to be a cut above the rest. I was lucky enough to be in a 'club' room and this was superb in every way. The food was good, and the staff were all friendly and professional. There is a pleasant bar and the atmosphere is light and relaxed. A very clean and tidy hotel with sufficient parking. The free internet access is always a bonus too...
I will be returning very soon - and am looking forward to it.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
Aberdeen
Reviewed 16 July 2009

I have stayed at Best Western hotels elsewhere and was very pleased with this one. I was unsure how it would be with it only having a three star rating, but I found it compared very well with four star hotels I have stayed in recently. I had a good sized bedroom which had everything you would want including a plasma TV with freeview (Sky Sports in the bar downstairs). Furniture and décor was of good quality and the bed very comfortable. The standard of cleanliness in my room was high.
Dinner in the restaurant was enjoyable from an a la carte menu which offered a good choice. Service was satisfactory (not too fussy!) and the food well cooked. Same was true of breakfast.
I found this a very comfortable hotel with pleasant staff and a good range of facilities. They know how to look after business people and don’t charge single visitors the silly rates quoted by some hotels. Bedrooms have free wi-fi access and there’s plenty of on-site parking as well. I will book here again, and recommend it to colleagues.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
London, England
Reviewed 25 June 2009

I stayed in this hotel for about 6 weeks as I was working nearby and I have very mixed feelings about what to put in the review.
Pros -
good staff, friendly and professional. always helpful.
the restaurant food is really good. We went through the whole menu probably and didn't get a bad meal.
We also used the bar/cafe quite a lot for lunch and this was always good as well.
free wifi throughout the hotel
Cons -
the rooms. There is one section that has been upgrade and these are adequate but some of the other rooms are in need of a big overhaul. Its a big of an odd layout finding some as they have been added on at different times.

If I had been paying for it myself I think the standard of some of the rooms would have upset me and overridden the positives but as work was covering it I tried not to think about them too much.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
castle douglas
Reviewed 1 June 2009

I cannot speak highly enough of this hotel near Edinburgh. I have stayed in many hotels in the city but this has got to be the best. The rooms,the food. the leisure club absolutely wonderful and nothing is too much bother for the staff. The lovely breakfast really sets you up for the day and with the bus stop almost outside you are in the city in a very short time. The bus also goes past the Playhouse Theatre so it is very convenient all round. This is a privately owned family run hotel and the owners always appear to be on hand. So an excellent hotel indeed especially for a city break. 1st. class.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple