“Good hotel and friendly staff”

Hotel Indigo Edinburgh
Ranked #65 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 24 June 2012

Had a little trouble finding this place first, and unlike the Glasgow equivalent, there wasn't discounted car parking, so it was quite extortionate to park at the nearest car park which was St James Shopping Centre.

The corridors leading to the room was a bit like a rabbit warren, but we didn't mind. The room was modern, trendy and of a good size. The food in the fridge were complimentary. We had a lovely meal in the hotel restaurant and some drinks at the bar, and the staff were friendly and attentive.

The only minor points would be: the sound system in the bathroom didn't match what was being shown on TV (unlike the Glasgow one) so all you heard was background noise but not what was actually being played. Also the bed was on wheels so every time you got in and out of bed, or turned in bed, the bed rolled forward slightly! I don't know if all the rooms are like this or just the one we were in!

Aside from that I would still recommend the hotel.

1  Thank Traveller_UK_09

Reviewed 19 June 2012

My husband and I arrived in Edinburgh on Saturday 16th to celebrate our wedding anniversary and my 50th birthday. We stayed for 2 nights and were extremely happy with every aspect of the hotel. The room, restaurant and all facilities were beautiful but it was the staff that made the stay so enjoyable. Everyone was very friendly and helpful.
We ate in the restaurant both nights and had breakfast each morning. The food was delicious and the service fantastic. I would particularly like to mention our waitress Neringa who was a pleasure to meet.
The location is superb and within easy walking distance to all the highlights of Edinburgh. I would also recommend the Stand Comedy Club which is just a few minutes walk from the hotel and a really great night's entertainment.
We will definitely be going back to Edinburgh and will stay at the Hotel Indigo again.

1  Thank SMWalton55
Reviewed 19 June 2012

Nice hotel, with new rooms, comfortable beds and very helpful concierge. We arrived late and tred from a long flight from Asia and were looked after well. Will be back again. The hotel's location is very central , although slightly disrupted by Ediburgh's apparently never-ending work on its new tram system.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 June 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay of two nights at this gem of a hotel. Although our room was on the small side, the layout could not be faulted, it was clean and the decoration was lovely and neutral, and the bed was as comfortable as I have ever slept in anywhere on my travels. I accept there was little hanging space, but this did not bother us as our stay was only short. We booked this hotel on reading the excellent reviews on this website, and we were not disappointed! I could not fault the charm of the staff, nor the excellent meals that we had at the restaurant. The hotel is situated about a ten minute walk to Princes Street or the train station. Reviews on this website can alter immensely based on one's own experiences, but our stay at this hotel made our weekend in Edinburgh very pleasurable.

Reviewed 14 June 2012

Being a relatively new hotel the decoration is quite fresh and the room is perfectly comfortable. Unfortunately it was let down by poor service and is overpriced for what it is.

Highlights included waiting 30 minutes for service at breakfast before I gave up and left having only received a glass of orange juice with a distinctly soapy taste, and finding one of the complimentary biscuits in the room half eaten. When I raised this with staff they seemed unwilling or unable to do anything about it, and just tutted and said how terrible it was.....thanks I knew that.

I would not recommend. There are plenty of better options around Edinburgh.

Room Tip: Find another hotel!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Aeneas S
Management response:Responded 2 July 2012

Dear Aeneas,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay with us.

I am glad to hear that you have enjoyed the decoration and comfort of our rooms. However I am very disappointed to hear about your experience at breakfast and how your comments were handled by our team. All our breakfast items are freshly prepared but we do aim to deliver our hot breakfast orders very quickly and this has certainly not been the case in your experience. As for the issues in your room please do accept my apologies. This is certainly not how we treat our guests and I will investigate this further with our Housekeeping manager.

I would very much like the opportunity to discuss your experience further. Should you wish to do so please contact me by email on dominic@hiedinburgh.co.uk or by phone under +44(0)131 556 5577 to arrange a time that is suitable for you.

I hope that we can restore your faith in our hotel and I am looking forward to your reply.

Kind regards,

Dominic

Reviewed 13 June 2012

We stayed at the hotel Indigo over the weekend and had a nice trip in mind for our trip out to Edinburgh, however I must point out that the rooms are really small and have a really strange smell to them and most of the technology in the room from their phone to the media hub and tv didn't work, although some one was suppose to come have a look at it no one did, and I also sense the general feeling is that no one cares enough about the actual people that stay in the hotel.

If you want to be treated like a civil human being I'll choice a cheaper much better alternative

Room Tip: A good room will be in another hotel
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 2 July 2012

Dear Ted,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay with us.

I am disappointed to hear that you have not enjoyed your stay with us. Hotel Indigo Edinburgh is a boutique hotel situated in 5 typical townhouse buildings and as such our rooms vary in size.

I would like to apologise for the lack of care that was taken when dealing with your comments. This is certainly not a reflection on the service standards we are so proud in providing and I will investigate this further with our managers.

I would very much like the opportunity to speak to you in person at a time that is suitable to you. Should you wish to do so please contact me by email on dominic@hiedinburgh.co.uk or directly at the hotel on +44 (0)131 556 5577.

I hope that we can restore your faith in our beautiful hotel and I am looking forward to your reply.

Kind regards,

Dominic

Reviewed 12 June 2012

New hotel in the New Town of Edinburgh. Staff are very attentive and the rooms are quite modern with interesting colours. Very comfortable bed with a spacious room. Be aware that some rooms are quite small but mine was more than adequate. The executive rooms are even bigger again. My friends and I ate at the restaurant one night for dinner. I had no problem with my food but my friends were not impressed with an overdone steak and what seemed to be a different meat to what was ordered. The Internet provided by the hotel is free however you have to get a new login every 24 hours for every device you have. A real pain to be honest. Also, if you are not as agile as you once were, be aware that the place has lots of stairs. However, given the standard of service, I'm sure if you mentioned this, the staff would do their best to help you out. Overall I would definitely recommend this hotel as a place to stay. The staff are great and a pleasure to deal with. The minor quibbles will be ironed out fairly quickly I'm sure.

• Stayed: June 2012