“Excellent service with friendly staff . Definitely recommend”

Hotel Indigo Edinburgh
Ranked #62 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
“Excellent service with friendly staff . Definitely recommend”
Reviewed 29 June 2012

Unfortunately with work on the tram service hotel Indigo's car park spaces are limited. However we were able to reserve one of the five that they have. We could not find where to park so one of the staff came and met us and offers to help with suitcase. Excellent first impression. There are no iron or ironing board in the room but can request. We ate here on the first night. Excellent service. And breakfast was filling too. The hotel is in walking distance to all main attractions but it is still alot of walking. U can take the bus which are frequent. The room was quite small but modern and more than adequate for us. The modern bathroom was lovely though my husband found the speakers in there annoying. I was fine myself. Overall we found our three day stay enjoyable

• Stayed June 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
Sacramento
Reviewed 28 June 2012

The Indigo is a new hotel in a good location. The staff were very friendly and attentive, although a few seemed somewhat inexperienced. We had reserved a suite and were shown to a room down one of the many labryntine hallways and down a flight of stairs to a lower level looking up at the pedestrians on the street. No other suites were available so we switched to a king room at the back, with a view of a nearby parking garage. The room was nice and the king bed was very comfortable. The next day we were given a suite on the top floor that was nice and had a view over the York Place/ Queen Street. However, the beds in both suites that we saw were queen size (by American standards), despite the assurances of the staff that the second suite had a super king. Our adult boys had a twin executive room that they liked very much although they couldn't get the air conditioning to work adequately. The chairs in all rooms we saw were chic in design but so low that they were not comfortable for us to sit in. Food for one dinner and two breakfasts was good but not special.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank sactrav8
, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Edinburgh, responded to this review, 2 July 2012
Dear Sactrav8,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay with us at Hotel Indigo Edinburgh.

I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed the comfort of your room and especially your bed. You are absolutely right, our beds are King or Super King sizes by UK standard which is 1.5 and 1.83 m by 2m which would be a Queen size bed by US standards.

I am disappointed to hear that you have not found the food in our Turquoise Thistle Restaurant to be special as we do take great pride in sourcing only the best of the locally available produce.

I hope that we can welcome you back to Hotel Indigo Edinburgh in the future.

Stay original,

Dominic
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2012

We had a really lovely time staying at the Hotel and were so impressed by the staff, cleanliness, decor and location of the hotel. Rooms were very comfortable and well presented if a little noisy but it is a city center location and therefore not the fault of the hotel. Breakfast was nice each monring although service was pretty slow on the first morning. Bacon is also char grilled which was not to my taste but generally very good. We had dinner in the hotel restaurant on Friday evening, food was nice but beware- timy portions and pretty pricey. We asked for some potatoes with our main course and were charged £4 which I thought was a bit steep and really should have been included with the main but in the main it was very nice. Special mention should be made about Neringa, who works in the restaurant an is an amazing ambassador for the hotel. All in all, a very enjoyable stay in a great location and would definitely recommend.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2012

I stayed two nights on a solo business trip. The hotel is very smart having recently been completely refurbish, apparently. My room was very well equipped though quite compact (#106). The floorplan of the hotel on the fire escape diagram suggested that other rooms were larger.. The bed was very comfortable, with top quality white linens. The bathroom also was very well equipped with a huge (~1.5 x 0.9m) shower cubicle with both 'rain water' nozzle and hand shower. Towels too were top quality plump white cotton. I could not understand the rectangular loo seat (form beyond function!!). I enjoyed the well equipped bar. I ate both continental and full Scottish breakfasts in the restaurant. The continental was a rather limited buffet, but the cooked breakfast was excellent. Also, I never like cafetiere coffee :^(. The hotel is well located with many restaurants, pubs, theatre, galleries etc all within a short walk. The staff all seemed very well trained and competent, though perhaps a little 'starchy'. I did not use the fitness suite. I would have preferred a swimming pool, though this is not common in city centre hotels. I would recommend this hotel to anyone, though a young family should discuss rooms/ beds with the hotel first as my room would not have been suitable for a family.

Room Tip: A young family should discuss rooms/ beds with the hotel first as my room would not have been suitab...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank EdB222
Aviemore, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2012

Stayed in the Indigo last week. Hotel has not been open long so is still in excellent condition. Brilliant decor in public rooms and bedrooms. Ours was not huge but comfortable and had alcove with mini chaise longue, desk, chair, coffee machine, fridge and kettle. Fresh milk in fridge. Bed large and comfy. Bathroom big with good shower and complimentary products. You can listen to music while you shower!! Loved the wall paper and curtains.
Cooked breakfast was good but buffet disappointing.
The hotel is in an excellent situation for getting around the city and is a few minutes walk to John Lewis, bus station, St James Centre and The Playhouse Theatre. Many eating and drinking places near by too.
The hotel has parking but limited spaces.
Look forward to staying again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 27 June 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Indigo at the end of April to attend a friends wedding. The hotel was in an excellent location and still had that new smell and feel about it. Working in the hospitality market myself, I know the importance of first impressions and the genuine welcome we got was well received. The room was an excellent size and the level of technology available impressive, but not intimidating. The bed was super comfy and the noise from outside kept to a minimum. Breakfast was a highlight with a lovely selection of fresh produce, including fish. The highlight though was receiving a personal visit from the Executive Chef Dan when I had a request for a sauce recipe- excellent service.
Overall a fantastic new addition to Edinburghs hotel scene, great service and value for money. Congratulations to Dominic and his team. I wish you continued success for the future.
S&A

I do still wonder about the Pringles in the fridge though haha.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank ScottyVegas88
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 26 June 2012

The hotel is very chic, very well furnished, with stylish pieces. The rooms are really impressive: big, soft and comfortable bed; relax corner with chaise longue; large bathroom with rainshower and loudspeakers so you can listen to music while having a shower :-); hairdryer; big LCD TV with lots of accessories; free wifi (though - as someone has already mentioned - having to ask for a new password every day is quite a nuisance; free tea and coffee-making facilities; free minibar. But…:
1) When you check in, be prepared to wait a very, very long time and to be kept waiting like a beggar before being allowed to see your room: you'll have to accept being charged 25 (twenty-five!) EUR per person per night as a security deposit first, as a guarantee for extras. No deposit, no room key.
2) Be prepared to have a scanty and expensive breakfast (and slow service).
3) And be prepared to climb steep and narrow stairs carrying your luggage.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank LucyKo
Dear Lucy Ko,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your stay with us.

I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed the decor and the amenities we offer in all our rooms. We do offer complimentary WiFi access to all our guests and we are currently reviewing the possibility of creating access codes for more than 24 hours.

I am very disappointed to hear that you have not received the excellent customer service we aim to provide to all our guests. During certain times we do get very busy with guests checking in and we aim to keep waiting times to a minimum. Should you wish to check in before official check in time at 3pm we will certainly do so if there is a room ready. Should this not be the case we happily store your luggage, let you explore our beautiful city and will give you a call when your room is ready.

We do take a pre authorisation of £25 per day when you check in for you to be able to charge extras to your room which is very common practice in hotels in Edinburgh. However if your room is prepaid and you do not wish to leave your card details this is not a problem either.

I would also like to apologise for the slow service at breakfast. We do prepare all our dishes fresh but do aim to deliver especially breakfast within a reasonable time frame.

I would very much like the opportunity to discuss your experience in person at a time that suits you. Should you wish to do so please contact me by email on dominic@hiedinburgh.co.uk or by phone on +44(0)131 556 5577.

I hope that we can restore your faith in our beautiful hotel and I am looking forward to your reply.

Kind regards,