“Beautiful rooms and great location”

Hotel Indigo Edinburgh
Ranked #56 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
London, United Kingdom
“Beautiful rooms and great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2012

Stayed at this hotel for two nights in September 2012. It has a small bar/lounge area and a breakfast room/restaurant. We were a little disappointed to find that we had been allocated a room at basement level thinking it would be dark and dingy. Happily we were completely wrong and the room was gorgeous with two large windows to let in light during the day and plenty of lamps for evening lighting. I loved the decor of the room which was very colourful with a small seating area to include a chaise longue. The bed was huge and very comfortable. The bathroom was very modern with a very efficient shower. Everything was spotlessly clean. The hotel is very well situated with a bus stop right outside and approximately 15 mins walk from Waverley Station or a short taxi ride. There were only two minor negatives as far as I am concerned, the first was the breakfast - food not great quality, service a little shoddy and tables far too close together and the other negative was that our room seemed to be next to a staff room of some kind which was used at all times of day and night and caused some disturbance due to slamming/squeaky door. All said, I would stay there again without any hesitation and just have breakfast at Jenners or one of the many other alternatives locally available.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank CazzalovesLewis
DominicKutschera, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Edinburgh, responded to this review, 15 October 2012
Dear CazzalovesLewis,

Thank you very much for your kind words about your stay with us at Hotel Indigo Edinburgh.

I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed the decor and comfort of one of our basement rooms. These are a real feature of the Edinburgh New town and the Georgian Townhouses that make up Hotel Indigo Edinburgh.

I have discussed your comments regarding breakfast with our food and beverage manager. We take great pride in the locally sourced produce we serve in our Turquoise Thistle restaurant and are very disappointed that you have not found your breakfast to be of our high standard.

I do hope that we can welcome you back to our neighbourhood in the near future and thank you again for your comments.

Dominic

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
Bathurst, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2012 via mobile

We arrived at this hotel only to be told that their computer system went haywire & they did not have a room for us for night 1 (we stayed 3 nights). The gentleman on the front desk was very apologetic, booked us another hotel & got us a taxi there (we are very patient people, so we were happy with this).

We called the hotel on day 2 & they arranged a taxi back (at their expense). We left our bags & went out for the day sightseeing.

We were originally told that because of their glitch, our room had been upgraded to the king junior sweet. The room was amazing - we loved it. Very spacious & so funky.

The bed was very comfortable, the shower was very spacious & the separate small seating areas allowed us to chill out & relax.

We got back after our day out on day 3 only to find that our room was open. Everything was there, however, it was a bit disappointing. From our observations the next morning, it appears that the maid forgot to lock it (we noticed she was holding other doors open with the security latch).

Breakfast was average & very slow. Toast came before breakfast (got cold whilst waiting). However, like the bedroom, dining area was very nice.

We ordered room service - it was great - however, the salt shaker had no salt in it.

It was a nice room & good sleep, however, not sure if we'd stay again.

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank flutterbybecs
Dear flutterbybecs,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay with us at Hotel Indigo Edinburgh.

I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed the complimentary upgrade to one of our Junior Suites and please do accept my sincere apologies for the issues you have encountered with your reservation.

I have met with our housekeeping manager to discuss your experience with us and have reiterated the correct procedures with the housekeeping team.

I hope that we can welcome you back to our hotel in the future to restore your faith in Hotel Indigo Edinburgh.

Stay original,

newcastle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2012 via mobile

We paid £99 for our room and were upgraded to a Junior Suite which was lovely. That said it faced the main road with a bus stop outside so I thought we would get quite a bit of noise. Thankfully not. The noise didn't transfer into our room and we had a lovely nights sleep. We arrived early for check in and our room wasn't ready but they offered to keep our bags whilst we went sight seeing. Breakfast was excellent with local produce making for a very tasty start to our day.

• Stayed August 2012
Dear Tedsmammy,

Thank you for taking the time to write such lovely words about your stay with us at Hotel Indigo Edinburgh.

We are very luck y to have excellent secondary glazing in all our bedrooms which really keeps the noise of our buzzing city center outside and let's our guests have a great nights sleep.

Our chefs take great pride in the fresh local produce they use in our Turquoise Thistle restaurant which does make for an excellent full Scottish breakfast. I recommend you try our afternoon tea or dinner the next time you stay with us.

I will certainly pass on your great comments to our team and I hope that we can welcome you back to our beautiful hotel soon.

Erskine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2012 via mobile

Having stayed in hotel indigo Glasgow, we had to book indigo Edinburgh to compare. Absolutely loved it, staff lovely, room amazing, bathroom great, location was excellent as we were there to see phantom of opera at the playhouse, plenty of restaurants close by, only downside is the tram works, but not hotels fault. We stayed B&B due to a special offer, it wasn't great and wouldn't book breakfast again.

• Stayed October 2012
DominicKutschera, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Edinburgh, responded to this review, 16 October 2012
Dear Shazbo2,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at Hotel Indigo Edinburgh.

I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your time with us. It is always great to hear such lovely comments from our guests. We are ideally located to visit the Edinburgh Playhouse and with Dirty Dancing coming up soon I hope that we can welcome you back.

Charlotte, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2012

I just spent 4 nights in Sept 2012 here and was thrilled with the hotel. Very friendly yet professional staff from the front desk to the Turquoise Thistle restaurant. Daniel at the desk gave me great tips for restaurants near the hotel, and another staff member loaned an umbrella for the day when it rained. My room was compact to the point where it was difficult to pull out the chair at the desk without hitting the bed, but it was beautifully furnished with all the amenities. I loved it!

I had breakfast every morning, one dinner and afternoon tea in the restaurant. Delicious and great service. I highly recommend the hotel and would love to stay there again sometime.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2012

Stayed here for a 2 night stay on the Indigo Indulgence package in September 2012. The service was absolutely incredible and check in was fast and easy. The rooms are lovely with complimentary mini bar and tea and coffee facilities and a massive bed. With the indigo indulgence package a 3 course meal was included on your chosen night. The food was to die for, and I am a really fussy eater and still managed to clear my plates. The drinks were quite expensive but I expected it for such a fancy hotel. Breakfast was a full Scottish breakfast, only thing was on the first morning we went for breakfast I would say they were slightly under staffed and did over-hear a few mix ups with breakfasts and coffee but the next morning the staff had increased and they were a lot more organised. We had tickets to see Phantom of the Opera and the theatre was a 2minute walk from the hotel.
I would definitely recommend this hotel as it is close to the shops, theatre, bars and restaurants.
Overall it was a fabulous stay and I will definitely be returning.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Ibiza2010274,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a lovely review of your stay with us at Hotel Indigo Edinburgh.

I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your two nights with us. Our Indulgence package is great as you do not only get to stay in our amazingly stylish and comfortable rooms but you also get indulge in a three course meal at our Turquoise Thistle restaurant. Dan our head chef takes great pride in only using the most local and fresh produce and you can certainly taste this in the excellent dishes we serve.

I will certainly discuss your comments with our team and I hope that we can welcome you back soon, maybe for Dirty Dancing at the Playhouse.

Stockton, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2012

Great new hotel. We arrived early with the intention of leaving our bags until the rooms were ready but the receptionist swapped our room so we could check in early. The room we were given was spacious and comfortable. Bathroom had an excellent shower. Complimentary snacks were tasty and had plenty of gadgets!

Breakfast was delicious. It was almost a shame the buffet had so much choice because we didn't get to taste everything and the full Scottish cooked breakfast was excellent

I would have given this 5/5 except for the fact we had a knock on the door at 1:30am asking us to keep the noise down which spoilt the experience a little bit. We did get back late but myself and my partner were quiet and respectful of other guests. We were surprised to get disturbed 10 minutes after we got back to our room informing us a complaint had being made against us, we were already in bed by this point. It's a little bit harsh marking the hotel down on this point as the manager was only acting on another guests complaint but for us, it detracted from our overall experience which was a shame.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear SafeNath,

I am delighted to hear that overall you have enjoyed your stay with us and is great to hear that our freshly cooked breakfast set you up perfectly for your day in Edinburgh.

Please accept my apologies for being disturbed by our night manager. As you say he was acting on the comments another guest has made and I have since discussed this with our night team.

I hope that we can welcome you back to our beautiful hotel in the near future.