“Lovely boutique hotel in a great location in Edinburgh”

Hotel Indigo Edinburgh
Ranked #63 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 25 December 2012

we stayed here for an overnight in Edinburgh and I would certainly recommend this hotel. Check in was easy, staff were helpful and the room was very quirky. The hotel is currently hampered by the ongoing tram works but this caused us no problems at all. This is an ideal location for shopping and theatre trips too. The complimentary soft drinks and sweets in the hotel mini bar are a nice touch too.

• Stayed: December 2012
DominicKutschera, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2012

Dear Lorraine,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay with us at Hotel Indigo Edinburgh.

It is great to hear that you have enjoyed your overnight stay. You are right York Place is currently closed to traffic but because we have excellent secondary glazing in all our rooms the noise of our bustling city centre is kept outside to ensure you have a great nights sleep.

I will certainly pass your comments on to our team as it always gives us a great boost when our guests enjoy their stay.

I hope that we can welcome you back to our neighbourhood soon.

Dominic

Write a ReviewReviews (1,371)

Reviewed 25 December 2012

My sister and I stayed at Hotel Indigo over the summer. The concierge, Albert was helpful with every detail of our stay. The rooms are lovely. The sound system in the room was a nice touch. The location is perfect. Walking distance to everything. The Big surprise of this hotel was the stupendous restaurant, The Turquoise Thistle. The chef Daniel Mellor is a genius with food. Do not pass up eating at The Turquoise Thistle because it is at your hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Joanne,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a lovely review of your stay with us at Hotel Indigo Edinburgh.

I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed the hospitality of our reception team and I will certainly pass on your comments to Dan our head chef. Dan and his team at the Turquoise Thistle restaurant are very passionate about the great produce Scotland has to offer and they take great pride in creating mouthwatering dishes. Our neighbourhood has some fantastic gems to discover and when it comes to fresh, local food coupled with friendly, personable service our Turquoise Thistle restaurant is certainly one you want to try for yourself.

Thank you for staying with us and I hope that we can welcome you back to our neighbourhood in the near future.

Reviewed 23 December 2012

Overnight whilst on business in Edinburgh.

Everything was as you'd hope it to be. Very welcoming reception , efficient and friendly.

Room pretty smart, minimalist(-ish) and very very clean.
Nicely stocked free minibar, with fresh milk which is a rare treat in hotels in UK. Nice touch.

Bathroom was fab too - well appointed and again blisteringly clean.

Breakfast was good too, even though I only had a few minutes to grab some food before departing.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business

Dear Andrew,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a great review of your stay with us at Hotel Indigo Edinburgh.

I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed all the comfort everyone of our 60 individually designed bedrooms has to offer. We realise that if you are travelling on business it is important to have those little home comforts and the fresh milk in our mini bars is certainly one of them.

I am glad to hear that you have enjoyed our breakfast and for your next stay with us please let us know if you are in a hurry in the morning and we are happy to put a breakfast to take away together for you.

I hope that we can welcome you back to our neighbourhood in the near future.

Reviewed 23 December 2012 via mobile

Ok, so we've been slightly spoilt by the stylish Glasgow operation at Hotel Indigo, so we came with high expectations.

Overall, the hotel in Edinburgh lacks the well-run sophistication of its Glasgow stable-mate. It is a much more 'compact' affair where every space feels cramped compared to Glasgow. The room was finished to the same high standard and the owners have sought to locate it as near to the hub of the city as possible with some success.

The street was being dug up, like the rest of Edinburgh or so it seemed, so getting to the hotel was hellish hard because of barriers and diversions. Otherwise, finding it would have been a doddle as it sits just off Broughton Street.

Breakfast was good but, once again, it all felt a bit space-limited and thrown together with the waiting staff doing an ok job.

A nice hotel experience, overall, but try the Glasgow Indigo if you want the real deal.

• Stayed: December 2012

Dear Ali and Malky,

I am glad to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Hotel Indigo Edinburgh consists of 5 original Georgian townhouses with over 200 years of history and this certainly gives each of our 60 bedrooms a very unique character. We are certainly in an ideal location to explore everything Edinburgh has to offer being only a short walk from Princes street and just around the corner from the Playhouse Theatre.

I will certainly discuss your comments with our team and I hope that we can welcome you back to our neighbourhood soon.

Reviewed 19 December 2012

Spent 2 nights at Indigo Hotel in December for a long weekend in Edinburgh.

Location is excellent - slightly off the main drag but only a 5 minute walk from Princess Street, George Street and Rose Street. Smart appearance from the outside and this continues on the inside.

Staff on check in were very attentive, showed us to our room, told us the features of the room and hotel etc, and were generally chatty. Free snacks and soft drinks in the room mini bar is a nice touch, as are the 'The White Company' toiletries. Room was modern, a decent size, very comfortable bed and modern bathroom with rain shower. Even in mid December, the room was never cold.

Breakfast booked in advance costs just £9.95 for Continental and Scottish breakfast and was very nice, with freshly squeezed orange juice. Didn't use the restaurant for dinner but the bar was nice and relaxed, with helpful staff advising which whiskeys to try. Restaurants and bars close to the hotel are aplenty so drinking and dining will never be a problem.

As others have said, there are lots of roadworks going on outside the hotel at present but these aren't heard at all from inside the hotel.

Would definitely recommend this hotel and would return myself. Get a good advance rate and you're well away.

I believe the hotel has a few parking spaces but expect these are difficult to get. Hotel offers 10% discount for parking at the Omni centre, just hand them your parking chip. Parking at the train station (5 minute walk) may be a bit cheaper.

Room Tip: Try Karen's Unicorn Chinese Restaurant for a great meal!
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear ItchyFeet,

I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your long weekend with us. We are certainly in an ideal location to explore the shops and boutiques on Princes and George street or see a show at the famous Edinburgh Playhouse theatre.

It is great to hear that you have enjoyed our full Scottish breakfast and please do try dinner or afternoon tea at our Turquoise Thistle restaurant during your next stay. Our neighbourhood is full of little gems to discover and our restaurant is certainly one of them.

I will certainly discuss your comments with our team and hope that we can welcome you back to our neighbourhood in the near future.

Reviewed 19 December 2012

I stayed at the Edinburgh Hotel Indigo in December 2012 after a Christmas celebration and I can honestly say I was impressed. This new hotel is a complete, modern and tasteful refurbishment of the old Osbourne Hotel and is in a fantastic central location on York Place – handy for just about everything in Edinburgh including the railway station. At the time of my stay the York Place was dug up for tram works but we have kind of got used to that in Edinburgh. With no car I did not require parking – I would suggest thinking very carefully before thinking about bringing a car anyway – this is a busy city centre at the best of times and, though parking is available nearby, it may be better to consider Park & Ride plus public transport (we may even get trams one day!). Noise was not a problem for me – my room looked out on to a small internal area – but I don't think it would be anywhere.

The greeting and check-in procedure was easy, friendly and a signpost for what was to come. My basic room (for which I paid £88) was on the ground level and was a comfortable size. The décor is very striking but I would have to say nowhere near as garish as it appears on the website. A comfortable king size bed, working area, seat, and great TV made the room very welcoming and the walk in shower in the bathroom (stuffed with excellent products) finished the job. The heating controls are easy to use and responsive and, unlike many hotels these days, the temperature was pleasantly cool on arrival.

What makes this hotel great rather than good is the attention to detail and a keen understanding of what customers need. For example – the mini-bar has crisps, chocolate, water and fizzy drinks all of which are included in the price – I understand that for the better rooms even alcohol makes an appearance! Another boon was the media hub – whether just watching live TV, catching a film, charging your phone or listening to music it is all easy to use and well presented. If, like me, your tasted run to an iPad or similar then an HDMI socket is provided so you can easily watch or listen to your own content.

I didn't eat at Hotel Indigo – both the restaurant and menu looked good though. Breakfast, if not included, is available – cheaper if you book in advance than taking it on the day – again I din't partake. There is also a comfortable looking bar should you require a relaxing drink.

I will definitely stay here again in the future and I am curious to take a look at the others in this small chain – being a regular visitor to Glasgow, Newcastle and London in the UK and looking at a trip to Barcelona next year I am drawn to this exciting, well executed concept that brings something different to hotels.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo

Dear Panda54,

I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed all the comforts our hotel has to offer. We are certainly in a great city centre location and being so close to Waverley station you do not need your car to discover our neighbourhood however should you be travelling by car on your next stay we have 5 car parking space close by that can be prebooked. All our rooms are equipped with secondary glazing which keeps the hustle and bustle of our city centre outside so you can have a relaxing nights sleep.

I hope that we can welcome you back to our neighbourhood in the near future and please do explore all the other gems Hotel Indigo has to offer.

Reviewed 18 December 2012

Beautifull design hotel in the midst of Edinburgh. Very sympathic staff, great rooms and excellent breakfast. Very good quality/price. Being regulary in Edinburgh so far the best hotel. Even during the festival in August they don't charge crazy prices, State-of-the-art decoration!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business