“Excellent Hotel, Excellent Food”

Hotel Indigo Edinburgh
Ranked #59 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
South Shields
“Excellent Hotel, Excellent Food”
Reviewed 15 March 2013

We stayed at the hotel in January for 2 nights and could not fault the hotel at all. Someone from the hotel contacted us the evening before we were due to arrive to confirm our stay, and when we arrived the check in process was friendly, courteous and helpful, with someone showing us to our room and confirming that we were satisfied. The only slight niggle was with the plumbing, as you could hear water from rooms above if someone used the bathroom, which sounded quite loud during the night; however this would not stop us from returning. Our reservation included an evening meal at the Thistle Restaurant and we were not disappointed; the food was delicious and was combined with very good service. The quality of the food was just as good at breakfast, with a good choice of continental and full breakfast. All of the hotel staff that we encountered were very friendly and the service provided was excellent, which really made our stay all the more enjoyable. We will definitely return.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights and found the hotel to be a great choice and exactly what we want in a hotel. Friendly staff, great location and lovely modern rooms with the most amazing showers. We started off in rm 304 but found the air conditioning units outside the window to be too loud even with the double glazing. We mentioned our concerns to reception and were immediately moved to rm 005 with no fuss whatsoever and we really appreciated it as it was a rare weekend away from young kids and we needed the sleep! All in all, a great modern hotel.

Room Tip: As above, we found air cond units outside rm 304 to be too loud
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
DominicKutschera, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Edinburgh, responded to this review, 12 March 2013
Dear Liz,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a lovely review of your stay with us at Hotel Indigo Edinburgh.

I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your weekend away especially as your husband mentioned it was a rare occasion. We certainly are in a perfect location for a weekend away to see Edinburgh's sights, enjoy a show at the Playhouse theatre or for some retail therapy.

I will certainly pass your comments on to our team and I hope that we can welcome you back soon again.

Cambridge, UK
Reviewed 7 March 2013

I choose this hotel because of its proximity to the Royal College of Physicians. Usually my company would book one of the hotels on the Royal Mile, but they were all full. Am I glad that I picked this place instead.

The location is great, the only caveat being that the York Place is closed to vehicle traffic due to the ongoing tramway building works That said, my taxi driver was able to drop me off approximately 100 metres from the hotel.

I have stayed in the Hotel Indigo in Newcastle upon Tyne, and the décor is very similar. However, although it is part of the Holiday Inn chain, the atmosphere is completely different. As befits an Edinburgh hotel, they had a good selection of single malt whiskies available, and I enjoyed Lagavulin and Glengoyne. Very pleasant barman, who made what could have been a dire evening of being alone in a hotel much more enjoyable.

Major points to this hotel, as I asked the barman if I could find a box to send some work kit back rather than take it on the plane. He duly checked in the kitchen, and then placed the box in the luggage room for me for tomorrow.

So, nice atmosphere, pleasant, relaxing décor, friendly and helpful staff. This is what a hotel should be. I shall be making this my first choice for future meetings in Edinburgh.

Room Tip: It is worth joining the Holiday Inn Reward Points scheme. I was upgraded to a Junior Suite on arriva...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
DominicKutschera, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Edinburgh, responded to this review, 8 March 2013
Dear Jo,

I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed the comfort of our rooms and the professional but friendly service of our team. I believe it was David that looked after you in the bar and I will certainly make sure to hand over your comments to him personally.

I do hope that we can welcome you back soon for one of your future meetings.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 March 2013

Being a local, I have visted Hotel Indigo with groups of friends on several different occasions to eat in both the Turquoise Thistle Restaurant and in the hotel bar. On each occasion both myself and friends have been highly impressed with the quality and presentation of the food, which has also been very reasonalby priced. The staff within the hotel have consistently been extremely friendly and welcoming and have provided a very good service at each visit. It is a lovely place to meet friends for lunch, dinner or drinks, and can provide an "oasis" to relax in away from the city-centre noise and bustle. A definate favourite, and although, as an Edinburgh resident, I have not yet stayed in Hotel Indigo, I am planning to treat myself to an overnight stay so that I can enjoy all that the hotel has to offer!!

Room Tip: Have only visited for food and drink so far, however am planning an overnight stay as a treat!
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Morag,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a lovely review of your time with us at Hotel Indigo Edinburgh and the Turquoise Thistle restaurant.

It is always great to be able to welcome back our regulars and I hope you have enjoyed your lunch with us.

I do hope that we can welcome you for an overnight stay some time in the future and please do let me know before booking and I will make sure to arrange a complimentary upgrade for you.

Stay original,

Yorkshire
Reviewed 5 March 2013

Stayed here for our annual Christmas shopping trip, great room and staff. We had afternoon tea on arrival which was good, look forward to returning again for next years trip. Only negative was the distance to the car park, but it was handy for shops, bars and restaurants.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank YorkshireTraveller72
Dear Yorkshire Traveller 72,

Thank you very much for writing such kind words about your stay with us at Hotel Indigo Edinburgh.

We certainly are in a great location to explore all that Edinburgh has to offer. From the Playhouse theatre, over the designer shops on Multrees walk, to the bars and Pubs on Rose and George street.

I hope that we can welcome you back soon and please do let us know when you will be arriving and our concierge will be happy to help with luggage and car parking.

Hurley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2013

We arrived late on Friday evening and were greeted by very friendly and helpful reception staff. We were given a room upgrade, which is always a great start. The check in was quick, simple and efficient. The room, although not massive, was very nice. A very contemporary style, comfortable and very clean. The complimentary mini bar is a nice touch (no alcohol). The shower room was very nice, with a 'rainfall' shower head. The bed was very comfortable and two very good nights sleep followed.
The bar and restaurant are stylish and comfortable, if I had any complaint it would be that service was extremely slow.... but as we were having a lazy weekend, we weren't too bothered. The breakfast was exceptional! The hotel is very centrally located, being only a few minutes walk from Princes Street and the Royal Mile.
BEST TIP. contact the hotel first to get the exact location for the taxi to drop you off, as, due to the tram line works, you can't get to the door of the hotel. Our driver dropped us off almost 1/2 a mile away, only to find that we could have got to within 100m!!!
A great hotel, with great service. We recommend it.

Room Tip: The ground floor rooms are really quiet as they are to the back of the hotel away from the road.
Dear Steve,

Thank you very much for writing a great review of your stay with us at Hotel Indigo Edinburgh.

I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed all the comforts of your bedroom. It is also great to hear that you have enjoyed your breakfast and please do accept my apologies if the service was not as speedy as you expected. We do prepare all our cooked breakfast from scratch but have reviewed the cooking process in order to serve all our guests as quickly as possible.

I hope that we can welcome you back soon to our neighbourhood.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2013

Stayed here on a Saturday night for my boyfriends birthday and couldn't fault it. The hotel rang me on the Thursday before my stay asking if I had any special requirements and warning me of the road works which are taking place in Edinburgh which was really nice of them. The rooms are fairly small as it is based in an old town-house style building, but the décor and the stylish bathroom more than made up for the size. There was a complimentary mini bar of soft drinks and snacks, and the bathroom had lots of lovely Aveda products. We also stayed for breakfast which was also brilliant, although it would have been expensive if we hadn't got it included in our room package.

Dear Kate,

Thak you very much for taking the time to review your stay with us at Hotel Indigo Edinburgh.

I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us especially as it was for such a special occasion. We do aim to contact all our guests before their stay as a matter of curtesy to help with travel arrangements etc. I will certainly pass your comments regarding our breakfast on to the Turquoise Thistle team as they work very hard to make sure all our guests receive a great breakfast to set them up for the day.

I hope that we can welcome you back to our neighbourhood soon.