“Fab hotel in great central location”

Hotel Indigo Edinburgh
Ranked #59 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
freckles1982
“Fab hotel in great central location”
Reviewed 18 June 2013

I was booked into Hotel Indigo by my employer as I was attending a conference. Having ended up in Travelsplodges in the past I was a bit worried... As it happened, hotel indigo was perfect for an overnight or even a coupe of nights, business, romance or a city break. The rooms are generously proportioned, beautifully decorated and cleverly equipped with fab toiletries, complimentary nibbles in the mini bar (SO nice not to get stung with a £4 charge for a can of juice!) intelligent use of ICT and sockets in all the right places ( hotels seem to get this wrong all the time). Very clean, very comfortable. Brekkie was good too, self serve continental and served hot food. I'll definitely be back! Well done Hotel indigo. x

Room Tip: As mentioned by others, there are currently tramworks outside ( and will probably be there for ages...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
DominicKutschera, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Edinburgh, responded to this review, 7 July 2013
Dear freckles1982,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Indigo Edinburgh on your recent trip to the city.

I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed all the comforts of your bedroom and your breakfast at the Turquoise Thistle restaurant.

I have passed your feedback to our team and they were so happy to read it.

Dominic

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
Tempe, Arizona, United States
Reviewed 18 June 2013

Found this place on the Internet. Booked here before a biz conference to see the city. Came in before midnight, tired, frazzled and without one of my bags. Staff were beyond welcoming; they helped me deal with the airlines.

This place is small and very personal. Within a day I felt I knew the staff and they knew me. Just one example: I mentioned that I tried to book the weekend after the conference but they were booked. On Monday, I got an email from Matt at the front desk saying a room opened up and they were holding it for me. This attention to details was the norm.

The room had a fabulous view of St. Mary's cathedral. While there is construction during my stay, it wasn't a problem with sleeping. The bed is comfortable; the room is well appointed. And I love the free Internet. (I spent 50% more at the conference hotel and only got 30 minutes per day free.)

The bar area is small and again, very personal. Felt safe there the entire time.

This hotel made my trip so enjoyable. I am definitely going back and taking my husband.

Room Tip: I was told that the rooms on the 4th floor has a lower ceiling. Not recommended for folks like my hu...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Dear Vickie S,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Indigo Edinburgh on your recent trip to the city.
The whole Indigo team and myself were so happy to read that you enjoyed both your stays with us. It was our pleasure to look after you while you were in the city for a conference.

We look forward to welcoming yourself and your husband back.

Hjärup
Reviewed 16 June 2013

Stayed two nights probably upgraded to one of the junior suites. Spacious and very good room. We were there during a weekend but the whole street outside is a working place which might be a sound problem during the weeks.
The "tapas" in the bar is just perfect. The continental breakfast was a little sparse out of a Swedish perspective but good. Would definetly recommend it.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Johan B,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Indigo Edinburgh on your recent trip to the city.

York Place has now reopened for traffic between the Leith walk roundabout on the east and Elder Street on the west of the hotel. Direct access to the hotel is still restricted and we recommend to call our front desk team should you decide to travel by car.
All our rooms have excellent secondary glazing and it does a great job in keeping the hustle and bustle of our city centre outside so you can relax in your room.
Our chefs at the Turquoise Thistle restaurant take great pride in sourcing fantastic fresh local produce and we are so glad you enjoyed your experience at the restaurant and bar.

Stay curious,

Reviewed 16 June 2013

The hotel was amazing. The rooms are really clean and very modern with a huge bathroom and a complimentary mini bar which is always a bonus. The staff are so friendly they will do anything for you. We went for my girlfriends birthday and they put rose petals on the bed with a birthday card and some little treats freshly made by the chef aswell as a welcome message with her name on the tv in the room. Overall superb hotel best hotel ive stayed in within the uk.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Jamessmitherz,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a lovely review of your stay with us at Hotel Indigo Edinburgh.

I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed all the comforts of your bedroom and that my team were able to take such good care of you during your stay. I am glad that yourself and your girlfriend had a great stay to celebrate your girlfriends birthday.

Stay Original,

Reviewed 13 June 2013 via mobile

Good clean hotel in a very good central location

It will be a lot better when the tramworks currently blocking the approach are done with.

Excellent service , good staff , good breakfast , excellent TV, well appointed rooms

Overall a good experience

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Connoissiyer
Dear Connoissiver,

Thank you very much for writing a great review of your stay with us at Hotel Indigo Edinburgh.
We love our neighbourhood. We are in a great location to explore all that Edinburgh has to offer. From the Playhouse theatre or the designer shops on Multrees walk, to the bars and Pubs on Rose and George street.

I hope that we can welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 11 June 2013

Stayed here for one night, the room was fab! Looks the part even decked out with a lovely ipod radio with good sound! (Much to my liking) As I stayed for work we were given basic option as breakfast option was an additional £30!! Yes no typo.
Room was very comfortable, large bed, no suitcase stand though. Well equipped with iron, board kettle and the usual. Very sneakily they stocked the mini bar with fizzy spring water, which is complimentary, when I called to ask for still, yes you guessed you had to buy it!
Shower was a walk-in wet room style, over head looked the part but was a firm trickle, lovely and hot though. Not much thought had gone into the slope of the foot well as my shower leaked into the bathroom every time I used it. (snag list candidate) .
Cocktails, we had the classic Mohito , wasn’t that great for £9 more ice that drink to be honest.
Breakfast – was very lean, one coffee no toast (I had eggs) poor service, as they forgot my colleagues request and very basic but was a £10 menu. We were all thinking what would the £30 option have been...?
I’d certainly go back if I have i have work there again, OI would opt to eat out for brekky though.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Dear Yourstrulyb,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Indigo Edinburgh for your recent trip to the city.

Our chefs at the Turquoise Thistle restaurant take great pride in sourcing fantastic fresh local food especially when it comes to the breakfast we serve. I was disappointed to read of the service you received in restaurant. We do offer very competitive rates including breakfast at a supplement of £15 per room per night and you also have the choice to prebook breakfast at check in for £9.95. I have discussed your feedback with our restaurant manager and Head Chef. Our mini bars are generally stocked with a selection of complimentary soft drinks, snacks and fresh milk and this includes a bottle of still and sparkling water.

Stay curious,

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2013 via mobile

Hotel Indigo is exactly the kind of hotel Edinburgh needs more of: central, modern, nicely decorated rooms, reasonably priced and with up to date facilities.

We had a lovely big room, which unfortunately looked over the tram works, but it was very quiet and we weren't disturbed at all. There was a lovely welcome plate on arrival, with some truffles, shortbread and cake and also a complimentary soft drink mini bar, with water, fresh milk, snacks and other soft drinks, which was a lovely touch. If I have one criticism, it's that a hotel of this standard should really have a 'proper' mini bar. There was also complimentary wi-fi though, which is great.

The hotel staff were excellent, from the duty manager, a lady called Sarah, down they couldn't have been more helpful and friendly.

On the whole I find Edinburgh hotels to be overpriced, especially those in the city centre, but I really like Hotel Indigo, so much so that I've booked to stay again in a couple of weeks - finally a decent Intercontinental Group hotel in Edinburgh!

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear LSPAberdeeN_Scotland

I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed all the comforts of your bedroom. I am so glad to hear that my team were able to take such good care of you during your stay.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Stay Original,