“Perfection!”

Ranked #70 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Colchester, United Kingdom
“Perfection!”
Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed here after picking up a brochure on it from one of Indigo Edinburgh's sister hotels; Holiday Inn Wembley. I had been so pleased with my stay in Wembley that I decided on making Hotel Indigo Edinburgh, which is part of the same owning group as Holiday Inn Wembley (Sojourn Hotels) part of a Christmas present I was planning for my mother.

We travelled up on the overnight sleeper train Friday night, and awoke almost at Edinburgh on Saturday morning. We turned up at the hotel about 08:30, so obviously the room was far from ready, but the hotel kindly let us leave our bags there all day. When we returned around 3pm, the room was ready and waiting so we were checked in and told the bags had already been taken to the room for us, and given our IHG Rewards Platinum welcome drink and snack voucher. We had room 112 on the ground floor (the one and only twin exec room with 2 king beds). The room was beautiful and very spacious. A welcome tray awaited us with canapés and drinks, as well as the teas, coffees, biscuits and complimentary non-alcoholic minibar. The beds were some of the nicest I've ever slept in. The shower was a proper rain shower, ceiling fitted, and was lovely to use. My mother also enjoyed the nice big bath which she could relax in. The TV system was well set up with plenty of channels, movies for rental, as well as information on the hotel and the ability to view bill, check out, set wake up etc.

We ate in the hotel Saturday night, expecting a reasonably good meal, and were blown away. The food really is excellent and the waiting staff polite, courteous and generally serving in excellence. I had the game terrine followed by pork belly and finally apple and dunsyre cheese butter pudding. All of these were made to perfection, particularly the dessert which was one of the nicest desserts I've had. My mother had the seafood rock pool which was similarly delightful. Breakfast was also excellently made - I had the delicious full Scottish breakfast - the poached eggs and tattie scones in particular were just perfect. The only downside of breakfast was that we could hear someone scraping our toast (so it's not burnt) and whilst it's good they made this effort, it'd be that little bit better to have it perfectly toasted in the first place - only a very minor point though, didn't affect our enjoyment of breakfast at all.

Throughout the entire stay, staff went out of their way to make sure we were having a good time, from the attentive service at dinner to the pleasant passing chats with housekeeping staff. This hotel really outdid itself and deserves recognition. If I had to give a negative then it would be that the free wifi is only 500kbps - didn't matter too much as I could tether my phone's internet connection, but it'd be nicer to make the free wifi a bit faster (say 1mbps), at least for platinum guests.

All in all though, I really do hope opportunity to return to this hotel presents itself. I would return in a heartbeat.

Stayed February 2014
DominicKutschera, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Edinburgh, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
Dear Henry C,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a lovely review of your stay with us at Hotel Indigo Edinburgh.

I am delighted to hear that your mother and yourself have enjoyed your time in our beautiful city.
Our Turquoise Thistle restaurant team take great pride in service fresh local dishes and it is great to hear that you have enjoyed your breakfast and dinner.

I will certainly pass your comments on to our team as it gives us all a great boost when our guests enjoy their stay.

I hope that we can welcome you back soon again.

Dominic

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
Glasgow
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Booked the hotel as a birthday treat for my Girlfriend and we had a lovely stay.
The hotel is clean, modern and stylish and ideally located in the city centre.

I had a few questions and requests in advance of arriving and nothing appeared to be too much trouble. Dominic, the Manager, was especially helpful and deserves thanks for helping make the trip so special.

Afternoon tea in the restaurant was really nice and provided a great start to the trip.

At night we walked to the royal mile in ten minutes, an easy stroll, the hotel is close to the Playhouse and it's easy to get around on foot.

Breakfast was great and very good quality.

We will definitely stay at the Hotel Indigo Edinburgh again and recommend to friends and family

Des

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
DominicKutschera, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Edinburgh, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Dear DJM777,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a lovely review of your recent stay with us at Hotel Indigo Edinburgh.

I am delighted to hear that you and your girlfriend have enjoyed your time in Edinburgh especially as it was for such a special occasion. Our team takes great pride in looking after all our guests and it is great to hear when our guests are enjoying their stay.

I am glad that I could help make your stay even more special and I do hope that we can welcome you back in the near future. Please do not hesitate to get in contact before hand.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 3 February 2014

What a mixed bag this hotel is! The room was just as requested in a really quiet part of the hotel which was lovely. The location of the hotel could not have been better! We had pre-booked the parking and that was great too! The room was compact but had everything you could want. The bed was comfy although the pillows were a little thin. The initial receptionist didn't really seem to be on the ball when we arrived, maybe she was at the end of her shift; she wasn't forth coming with information, we had to ask her questions to find out; but it worked out in the end, so it wasn't really a problem, just a tiny bit irritating - but everyone has an off day, right?

It was the breakfast that was a shocker! Breakfast was until 11am, we arrived for ours at 10.15am, and was informed there would be a wait. So we sat in the bar along with about 15 other people, even though we could all see empty tables. Apparently the problem was not the tables or the staff, but they just didn't have enough tableware to go round!!! We waited 35 minutes for a table. Then waited 15 minutes to have our order taken. Then a further 10 minutes for tea. Breakfast took 25 minutes from ordering to arrive and when it did, my husband's vegetarian breakfast had a huge slice of black pudding on it!!!!!!!!!!! That is about as far removed from being vegetarian as black is from white!!! Our toast turned up 10 minutes after we'd finished our cooked breakfasts. The juice jugs was constantly empty! Tables were slowly cleared of their used plates etc, but unless the tables were going to be used again by more guests they were left dirty. The staff didn't seem rushed or flustered at all. Two admin/managers pitched in for about 3 minutes then drifted away. All in all, breakfast took us a total of 1 hour 30 minutes and it was distinctly average!

So as I say, a real mixed bag of a place.

Will we be back - probably, because the location is so handy and the room was nice, but we'll try and time our breakfast arrival time better.....!

Room Tip: for a super quiet room, we had 103
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JRStanbrook
Dear JRStanbrook,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us at Hotel Indigo Edinburgh.

It is great to hear that you enjoyed the comfort of your room. We certainly are in a great location to explore everything Edinburgh has to offer. Please do accept my apologies for the delay and mix up you have experienced at breakfast on Sunday morning. This is certainly not our standard and I have discussed your comments with our restaurant manager.

I do hope that we can welcome you back to our neighbourhood in the near future.

Stay original,

Northern Ireland
Reviewed 2 February 2014

This was our first time in a Hotel Indigo and we were impressed.
The hotel is in a terrace, conveniently situated just a few minute's walk from Princes Street.
The hotel is smart and the decor fresh and modern.
We were very impressed by the young staff who were both efficient and helpful.
We were served promptly at breakfast. The continental and cooked food were excellent.
Free minibar in the room. Free wifi as standard.
We've tried a number of hotels in Edinburgh City Centre recently and this one beats them all for value for money and friendly efficiency.
We'll be back!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
DominicKutschera, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Edinburgh, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Dear Photopedia,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such kind words about your stay with us at Hotel Indigo Edinburgh.

I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your time in our beautiful city. We certainly are in a great location to explore everything Edinburgh has to offer. From May this year you will even be able to take a tram directly from the airport to our front door.
Our Turquoise Thistle restaurant team takes great pride in sourcing fresh local produce and you can certainly taste this in your freshly cooked full Scottish breakfast but also at afternoon tea and dinner.

I hope that we can welcome you back very soon.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 January 2014

I booked this hotel as a treat for my husband and I for our first wedding anniversary. We advised the hotel when we booked that it was our wedding anniversary and the receptionist wished us a happy anniversary which was very nice.
The bedroom was lovely and clean and a nice size and the shower was lovely, the only thing about the bedroom was that there was no view from the bedroom which was disappointing.
The mini bar with free juice, water, a packet of rasins and a biscuit was a nice touch and the tea, coffee, hot chocolate and milk was also good.
We asked for vegetarian breakfast in bed as I am ill at the moment and find it difficult to get up in the morning but on both days we were given a vegetarian breakfast but not what we asked for plus on the second day our potato scones were overcooked, hard and burnt and the beans were overheated and looked like they had been sitting for a long time before we got them.
The staff on reception were very helpful and friendly and were even kind enough to post out my husbands iphone charger that we left behind and we received this in the post the next day.
I would recommend the hotel but not the breakfast. We also ordered pizza for room service in the evening which was margarita but the tomato sauce on the pizza was sweet and my husband doesn't like sweet food so we did not enjoy that either.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kelly d
DominicKutschera, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Edinburgh, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Dear Kelly,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your stay with us.

It is great to hear that your husband and yourself have enjoyed your time with us, especially since it was for such a special occasion. Please accept my sincere apologies for the issues you have experienced with your room service breakfast. I have discussed your comments with our head chef and food and beverage manager.

I do hope that we can welcome you back soon, maybe for a bite to eat at our Turquoise Thistle Restaurant.

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed here last weekend on a girls trip. The hotel was excellent. We got a taxi from airport (£20) and got checked in straight away by very efficient and friendly staff. Location was perfect as it was round the corner to John Lewis, Harvey Nics and Princess Street. We only had breakfast which was excellent, small continental Buffett and then served a full Scottish cooked fry. The hotel itself was very clean with beautiful decor and I would highly recommend it. I have stayed in a lot of Holiday Inn's but never an Indigo before if they are all like this one it will be my future choice.

• Stayed January 2014
DominicKutschera, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Edinburgh, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Dear GEW5,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review of your stay with us at Hotel Indigo Edinburgh.

I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your first stay at a Hotel Indigo Hotel. All our Hotel Indigo Hotels are a great choice and you will find each of them reflect the neighbourhood they are in.
From May this year you will even be able to take our brand new trams directly from the airport to our door step.

I will certainly pass your comments on to our team. It gives us a great boost when our guests enjoy their stay as much as you have and I do hope that we can welcome you back soon.

Scotland
Reviewed 25 January 2014

Headed up to Edinburgh for a couple of nights with my wife. Very impressed with hotel. Decor modern. Bed comfortable. Free wifi and mini bar. Big shower. Breakfast was very tasty and perfectly cooked. Staff very helpful. By booking direct with hotel and joining loyalty scheme got discount. Great value for great hotel.

Room Tip: Room on floor 2 or above.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ShipsDoctor
Dear ShipsDoctor,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your stay with us at Hotel Indigo Edinburgh.

I am delighted to hear that your wife and yourself have enjoyed your time in our neighbourhood. All our hotels have a best price guarantee so you can be sure to always find the best deal at the hotel directly.
Our Turquoise Thistle team take great pride in sourcing fresh, local produce and you can certainly taste this at breakfast, afternoon tea and also dinner.

I do hope that we can welcome you back soon, maybe for a visit to the Edinburgh Playhouse theater.