“nightmare”

Ranked #131 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
Middlesbrough, England, United Kingdom
“nightmare”
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Stayed at this hotel as a birthday surprise, my husband booked this hotel through a booking agent on wednesday 9th october he put all his details in and received confirmation on his mobile it was booked. He was not told at any point that he would have to pay a depoist or read email as confirmation. We arrived on friday night 11th october, to be told that our booking had been cancelled, we were shocked! The lady went on about it being our fault and we should read our emails. She did have one room but it had been painted the smell was terrible, i suffer with allergies so didnt sleep. Next morning my husband tried to find alternative accomadation, but everywhere was full, we asked if we could move room. We have never experienced anything like it, the lady went on about how customers made her life difficult, people didnt put correct credit card details in deliberately, I was brought to tears I kept saying it's my birthday please dont spoil it. At one point after ranting on and on she said we could leave. In the end she said she had lots of problems, I think she was refering to running the hotel. I said so have I I have had cancer. I think this must have jolted her because she kept hugging me! She gave us a lovely large room, clean and nicely presented. When we arrived back later that day she had left a box of chocolates and a small bottle of wine. The hotel is in a great location, breakfast was good and rooms are lovely, owner think you need to look at your booking system. I think you should invite us back and show us how good you could be.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Andjay65

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Plant City, Florida
Reviewed 5 October 2013

So glad we found this Hotel as a last minute replacement! Manager was very accommodating, she could not do enough for us. Room was clean & spacious, breakfast very good with all the normal fare. Close to all and very reasonably priced for Edinburgh. Highly recommend.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank DLM319
Sweden
Reviewed 14 August 2013 via mobile

This guesthouse is nice and the staff very friendly. Rooms are big and the location is good too. Breakfast was a bit boring, but ok. Wifi worked alright, sometimes it wouldn't connect at all, but when it did, was fast. I would stay there again.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank BrasseSwe
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2013

I found this guest house by looking for places to stay near railway stations in central Edinburgh so I could walk to the Fringe Festival and also travel to work in Livingston.

Not only did this place fit the bill logistically but also in every other way. My single room was competitively priced for the locality and season, and was extremely comfortable. There was plenty of furniture, stools, hangers, shelves etc to make yourself feel at home, and the bathroom was modern and immaculate.

The hotel itself retains its Victorian charm and is beautifully decorated with vases, pictures and ornaments. The staff are friendly, efficient and the owner even asked me when I would be leaving in the morning to ensure I would have time for breakfast (served from 7:45am). Breakfast itself is substantial, with a big bowl of fruit served every morning, and a range of cooked or cold items available. The food came within 10 minutes which fitted in brilliantly with my morning routine.

If you are heading to the centre, I would recommend veering north and taking the back streets via Lansdowne Crescent as there is an impressive church and a variety of lovely 'tucked away' restaurants and bars down some cobblestoned streets.. and it gets you away from the noisy tramworks near the Haymarket.

I thoroughly recommend this place.. its is a real gem!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Swaps S
Waterloo, Ontario
Reviewed 30 July 2013

I visited in January; I had a confirmed reservation, but they had lost it. Still, gave me a room, but at 9.00pm it was freezing. Phoned the guy, he claimed the heat would come on soon. At 11.00 no heat, and I was very cold and very miserable miserable. So I packed up, paid for one night, and left for another hotel. They wouldn't let me leave until I'd spoken to the owner on the phone, who claimed no one else was complaining, but I don't think anyone else was staying, which is probably why the heat was turned off. It's very pretty, but my stay was short and awful. They didn't even offer to waive the fee for the night.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank Roz58
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed 4 July 2013

This is a small hotel within a five minute walk of the Haymarket Train Station and a 15 minute walk of the city center. We had a big lovely room. We had an early train the next morning and had to leave the hotel at 7:30. Since breakfast doesn't begin until 7:45, the owner made us sandwiches to take with us.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CherylR62
Milwaukie, Oregon
Reviewed 8 June 2013

We stayed at Grosvenor Gardens Hotel in the middle of our vacation, and were impressed with the size of the room. We occupied a twin-bed room, and there was actually room for two adults to move around! The bathroom was by far the largest we enjoyed in the entire trip. The breakfast was excellent, and the room was immaculate.

The location was incredibly convenient to the Haymarket train station - tip - don't bother taking a cab from the train station - it is really only two blocks away, at the outside. We used the train station as our transportation hub during our stay. We took a walk around the neighborhood, and found an excellent Chinese restaurant and a grocery co-op tucked away nearby.

Room Tip: Our room was on the ground floor, and we did not have any problems with noise from within or without...