“Beautiful Place”

Ranked #130 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
Seattle
“Beautiful Place”
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

Somehow my husband and I got to stay in the family room which was beautiful and huge! Such an unexpected treat! Rooms were very clean and decorated on a way that made you feel like you had gone back in time. Breakfast was good however in the future I wouldn't pay the extra to get breakfast there. Rather I would go to one of the many cafes around the city. About a 15 minute walk to Princes Street and the Royal Mile.

• Stayed May 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We stayed in the Twins room. Very nice, tidy and cosy place close to the centre and most important places there. Stuff was friendly and helpful. It's nice that we could leave out luggages at 12 pm so we had enough time to visit Edinburgh. Thanks a lot for warm meeting and early breakfast.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Pavia, Italy
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

We were in the 4 poster room. The decor is to a very high standard and both mattress and pillows were very comfortable. The room is very large and quiet. The owner is very friendly and breakfast SERVED promptly. Minor issues such as no shower gel only soap bars.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank davide t
Middlesbrough, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Stayed at this hotel as a birthday surprise, my husband booked this hotel through a booking agent on wednesday 9th october he put all his details in and received confirmation on his mobile it was booked. He was not told at any point that he would have to pay a depoist or read email as confirmation. We arrived on friday night 11th october, to be told that our booking had been cancelled, we were shocked! The lady went on about it being our fault and we should read our emails. She did have one room but it had been painted the smell was terrible, i suffer with allergies so didnt sleep. Next morning my husband tried to find alternative accomadation, but everywhere was full, we asked if we could move room. We have never experienced anything like it, the lady went on about how customers made her life difficult, people didnt put correct credit card details in deliberately, I was brought to tears I kept saying it's my birthday please dont spoil it. At one point after ranting on and on she said we could leave. In the end she said she had lots of problems, I think she was refering to running the hotel. I said so have I I have had cancer. I think this must have jolted her because she kept hugging me! She gave us a lovely large room, clean and nicely presented. When we arrived back later that day she had left a box of chocolates and a small bottle of wine. The hotel is in a great location, breakfast was good and rooms are lovely, owner think you need to look at your booking system. I think you should invite us back and show us how good you could be.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Andjay65
Plant City, Florida
Reviewed 5 October 2013

So glad we found this Hotel as a last minute replacement! Manager was very accommodating, she could not do enough for us. Room was clean & spacious, breakfast very good with all the normal fare. Close to all and very reasonably priced for Edinburgh. Highly recommend.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank DLM319
Sweden
Reviewed 14 August 2013 via mobile

This guesthouse is nice and the staff very friendly. Rooms are big and the location is good too. Breakfast was a bit boring, but ok. Wifi worked alright, sometimes it wouldn't connect at all, but when it did, was fast. I would stay there again.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank BrasseSwe
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2013

I found this guest house by looking for places to stay near railway stations in central Edinburgh so I could walk to the Fringe Festival and also travel to work in Livingston.

Not only did this place fit the bill logistically but also in every other way. My single room was competitively priced for the locality and season, and was extremely comfortable. There was plenty of furniture, stools, hangers, shelves etc to make yourself feel at home, and the bathroom was modern and immaculate.

The hotel itself retains its Victorian charm and is beautifully decorated with vases, pictures and ornaments. The staff are friendly, efficient and the owner even asked me when I would be leaving in the morning to ensure I would have time for breakfast (served from 7:45am). Breakfast itself is substantial, with a big bowl of fruit served every morning, and a range of cooked or cold items available. The food came within 10 minutes which fitted in brilliantly with my morning routine.

If you are heading to the centre, I would recommend veering north and taking the back streets via Lansdowne Crescent as there is an impressive church and a variety of lovely 'tucked away' restaurants and bars down some cobblestoned streets.. and it gets you away from the noisy tramworks near the Haymarket.

I thoroughly recommend this place.. its is a real gem!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business