“Fantastic service all round”

The Edinburgh Residence
Ranked #60 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Edinburgh
“Fantastic service all round”
Reviewed 23 June 2009

Myself and my wife stayed here after our wedding, and the Edinburgh Residence impressed us both.

I had to change into my kilt etc prior to the wedding, and although my room wasn't ready the staff found me a room where I could get showered and changed. Our luggage was then ready and waiting for us when we arrived back after the big day.

The staff and service were excellent, as was the breakfast and the view from the room over Dean Village and Edinburgh was stunning.

We are already planning our return visit!

Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GrumandJen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Newcastle UK
Reviewed 22 June 2009

Just returned from weekend . We had a classic suite (17) at front of hotel. Large bay window letting in a lot of light. High ceiling lovely Georgian features.
Everything you need provided from usual toiletries to bathrobe and slippers. Great having crockery, glasses and cutlery provided. Cafeterie and ground coffee and fresh milk in fridge. All these thingds made it totally different from standard hotel room. Best part was breakfast in the room - just lounge around - no need to get ready to go to a diningroom. Lots to choose from. Enjoyed our breakfast sitting at dining table in bay window - bliss!
Not far from city centre, infact a pleasant walk in.
We definitely plan to return and have recommended Edinburgh Residence to lots of friends.

Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Dickey
carmel california
Reviewed 2 June 2009

Just checked in today, June 2, 2009 from San Francisco and I am here, as I usually am when I travel, because of the great Trip Advisor ratings around the world. Pay attention to them. I would have to rate this as a single male senior traveler and a consistent one and from first impressions it's not for your grand daugher or teenager, but definetly a place to stay if you are in to old, dark and somber. The location on the West End of Ediburgh is great. I'm a foody and the nearby good restaurants are a very distant walk, but the start of the "Castle" and surroundings are not far away. So far, the staff has been great. This is part of a holding company with other such accomodations that may take staff from all over Europe and they show the great training so attendent to that schooling. Senior s will like this place.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank bluotter
Montana
Reviewed 1 June 2009

I recently had the opportunity to stay for only one night at the Edinburgh Residence, and only wish I could have stayed longer. Our suite was lovely and extremely comfortable, more like staying in a gorgeous home rather than a hotel. The staff could not have been more gracious or helpful, from check in to check out they were all kind and eager to help, We did have a bit of trouble figuring out the television system, but a young man quickly came up and gave us some excellent instructions. The west side location is quiet and leafy, but not too far from the city center. All in all it was a fabulous experience.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank VJStewart
Wrexham
Reviewed 1 June 2009

I chose the Edinburgh Residence for our anniversary break because of the good reviews and the description on the hotel's website. When we arrived we were delighted to find a welcome card and chocolates in the room, but I was rather disappointed with the "suite" (No 19) as it was just a hotel room, although the bathroom was enormous. We were also aware of next door's plumbing! The following morning I mentioned my disappointment to the lovely girl on reception. When we returned from a day's sightseeing our belongings had been moved to suite 29, which was beautiful - twice the size of the previous room and much quieter. It had two sofas, a decent sized dining table for breakfast and four floor to ceiling windows looking down on the crescent below. We were delighted.
We enjoyed the breakfasts and thought the location was ideal - clean, quiet and only 10 minutes walk from the centre. We also walked to the Botanical Gardens, in the other direction.
We ate at the Bonham (sister hotel - just down the road) one evening and enjoyed a lovely meal. We also ate at a great retro burger bar called Bells Diner in Stockridge, which is just 10 mins walk over the bridge.
All in all a relaxing break in style and comfort.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Cegidog
Wales
Reviewed 29 May 2009

The Edinburgh Residence is a beautiful place to stay, situated in a peaceful tree lined crescent in the west end of Edinburgh, a peaceful location with some lovely restaurants nearby and yet only a few minutes walk from Princess Street. We stayed here for a two night break in May, staying in one of the Grand suites. The room was immaculate and incredibly spacious and beautifully decorated with elegant furniture and and a lovely comfortable bed & sofas. The bathroom was vast, bigger than some hotel rooms! a stunning room, spotless with a large roll top freestanding bath and separate cubicle with powerful rainshower. The staff were wonderful and made us feel very welcome and were very helpful and efficient. Our stay at the Edinburgh Residence was a wonderful experience and highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MLP19
San Diego California
Reviewed 28 May 2009

We stayed at the Edinburgh Residence for 4 nights in May, 2009. We were with our daughter and boyfriend, so actually had two rooms.

Our room was on the ground floor. I have travelled extensively, but when I saw this room, my jaw dropped. It was the largest and probably one of the nicest rooms we have ever had. It was enormous, with a sleeping area, a living area and an eating area. It was decorated beautifully in a Victorian style and had windows onto the street, with a park across from it. The bathroom was also very large with both a big tub and a shower. You felt like you were in your own apartment. Our daughter's room was on the 2nd floor and faced the back. While not quite as large (but still quite spacious), it had a wonderful view.

This hotel does not have a dining room for breakfast, but better yet, you choose what you want the night before, and the time you want it, and it is delivered and served in your room. We had full Scottish breakfasts's and I loved this part of the morning. I did not have to rush to get dressed to go to a dining room, but could just take my time with breakfast and leisurely drinking my coffee. I usually opened the front blinds and just watched the going ons in the street, as I had breakfast. They also have facilities in the room for making your own coffee or tea.

The location is perfect also. It is in a lovely upscale, very quiet neighborhood and yet you are only a 8-10 minute walk to Princess Street and close to some very good restaurants.

The staff was excellent. They were available for anything that you needed. Staying here was one of the highlights of our trip through the British Isles.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family