“Lovely place to stay”

Ranked #52 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
Worcestershire
“Lovely place to stay”
Reviewed 5 April 2010

We have just returned from staying at the Edinburgh Residence. The hotel is basically in a row of 5 storey old houses. The hotel has a restaurant which we didn't eat at, but looked very nice. The lounge is lovely but very quiet in the evening. Our room was gorgeous as was the bathroom which was enormous! Breakfast is served to your room which was wonderful. The food was great and the service second to none. It is about a 15 minute walk into the city, but worth it. I would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
n ireland
Reviewed 28 February 2010

My daughter and I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights and I can honestly say that this hotel is the best hotel I have ever stayed in. I booked a classic suite and was upgraded to the Townhouse appartment on arrival. The appartment was massive with an enormous lounge with 2 double settees, 1 armchair, large TV, a full dining room suite and a breakfast table in an alcove; it also had 2 pull-down single beds behind 'fake' bookshelves. As reported elsewhere in the review there is also a microwave, fridge and kettle etc. The main bedroom had a double bed, tv, large ensuite; and separate bathroom - again very large. The room has its own doorbell! and your breakfast is served in your room. Apart from the massive room, the staff were exceptionally nice and helpful. In terms of location, a short walk down Queensferry Street takes you on to Princess street (the Castle end); altogther it would be a 20 minute walk to Waverley railway station;it would be closer to Haymarket railway station. You can catch an airport bus at the bottom of Queensferry Street which goes past every 10 minutes to the airport (every day of the week). My daugher and I were travelling to St Andrews University for their open day. If anyone is doing this make sure to get the express train from Waverley to Leuchars as it only takes around 50 minutes as opposed to 1.5 hours ordinary service. From Leuchars you can get a bus connection into St Andrews but would be easier to get a taxi from there as the campuses are spread out throughout the town. The only depressing thing about staying at this hotel for me was the realisation that I would probably never again stay in as nice a hotel as this!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
Aberdeen, Scotland
Reviewed 24 February 2010

This hotel didn't disappoint, at all. Booked through laterooms.com and got a classic suite for £99 - bargain! Service was impeccable, afternoon tea sublime, views from the room (25) stunning and all-round experience was outstanding. I would return here in a heartbeat!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mr_Twister07
Hong Kong
Reviewed 21 February 2010

This is a very charming hotel with friendly and helpful staff. The suite was pleasant with nice view. We never had to park our car when it was -10 degrees, the staff always valet parked it for us. The breakfast was good and came very fast- within 15 mins even though we ordered it last minute.

Everything was 5 stars except the bathroom- the shower is not designed for anyone below 6 feet. The shower head must be 8 feet high, the water comes down and spreads out in a large conical shape, I could stand right underneath the shower without getting my hair wet- the water forms a perfect circle around me. It actually made me laugh out loud the first day but it wasn't so funny when I wanted to shampoo my long hair. There was no other option- no handheld shower option and none in the bath tub either. Also there's hardly any storage space near the sink area, we had to keep all toiletries including the electronic toothbrush on the shelf which was at a corner by the toilet bowl.

A lot of hotels have bathrooms that don't make sense, this is one of them and probably one of the worsts. Having said that, it's still a great hotel and I was very impressed with the friendliness of the staff.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2010

I have stayed at this hotel previously and the last time was around 5 years ago, I’m pleased to say that nothing has changed since my last stay.

Four girls on a birthday weekend and we thoroughly enjoyed it. Breakfast ( full Scottish) is served in the room and although it was late both days by around 15 minutes it wasn’t the end of the world and it was however fabulous, I can recommend the smoked Haddock and poached egg.

This is by far the best accommodation within Edinburgh City Centre and the rooms are huge, they contain all the essentials you need to make yourself at home, we didn’t want to leave.
We stayed in Room 22 (Town House Suite) I won’t go into details on the features as you can get all the information from their website. We arrived late on Friday evening and the butlers did absolutely everything including parking our car and bringing ice buckets for our wine.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank HerRubyship
North West, England
Reviewed 26 January 2010

This is a beautiful, very traditional hotel. The food served in our room (Scottish breakfast and afternoon tea) was excellent and the staff are very helpful.
We felt as if we were transported to another world, away from the hustle and bustle of family life and would definately stay here again.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
Aberdeen
Reviewed 25 November 2009

We visited the Edinburgh Residence for our anniversary recently and it is a long time since I was as impressed by a hotel.

Our suite was on the basement floor of the hotel and had a lovely view over the city. Clean, spacious, well appointed and comfortable the suite was perfect for a weekend break.

Located 5 minutes walk from princes street and 10 min from haymarket we coulndn't have asked for a better location. Given the current roadworks in the city it is imperative to book somewhere central to avoid driving and this was spot on.

The staff were fantastic and were always keen to help but never seemed to hover for a tip. Anything we asked of them was made to happen quickly and pleasantly and the staff have a real pride in their hotel. Valet parking was provided and the parking was free at the rear of the hotel.

I cannot recommend the residence highly enough and will return without hesitation.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple