“excellent stay”

Ranked #64 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Miami Beach, Florida
“excellent stay”
Reviewed 22 July 2010

we stayed here 2 nights and suite was fabolous, very beautiful and big with nice view over the city. very friendly staff and service. very quiet and close to the center at the same time. good price. if ever to edinburgh will stay here again for sure.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dandylady

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
cornwall
Reviewed 13 July 2010

This is the second time we have stayed and we wern,t disappointed, they up graded our room when we wanted to stay an extra night into the Town House which was fab with views over the roof tops of Edinburgh, the service was great, food tasty, and the staff wrer really friendly, really near to the city centre but it was really quite, Stay and have a lovely trip!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 28 June 2010

i had originally booked Channings, a sister hotel, and received the phonecall the day before advising "Bad news and good news". Bad news, that the room was double-booked, good news that there was a "Grand Suite" available at Edinburgh Residences, for same price. "Perfect" I thought.
Infact, it was better than "perfect", it was simply wonderful... Reception service was excellent, room was fantastic - King size bed, spacious lounge area and 2 bathrooms and the breakfast was presented lovely.
A romantic weekend made even better by surprise change in hotel !! I will definitely go back to Edinburgh Residences.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Liverpool
Reviewed 2 June 2010

I booked two nights at the Edinburgh Residence as a special birthday surprise for my boyfriend and what a wonderful surprise it was! After a lot of research into accommodation in Edinburgh, I chose this hotel as I wanted to stay somewhere which was unique, romantic, traditional and importantly, reflected the City itself; the Edinburgh Residence was this and so much more! Everything I had read in previews positive reviews was true. We arrived to a host of welcoming and courteous staff. Our car was immediately valet parked in the hotel’s own parking facilities and we were quickly checked in and our bags immediately taken to our room. Although I had booked a classic suite, we were very kindly given a complimentary upgrade to a grand suite, which was absolutely beautiful. The suite was traditionally decorated, with separate sleeping and living areas, as well as a bathroom which was bigger than some hotel rooms I’ve stayed in! Although we didn’t have our evening meals in the hotel, it was such a luxurious treat to have a breakfast served in our room in the mornings. Although I was initially skeptical about how well this system would work, it was absolutely brilliant, and our breakfast was delivered on time, piping hot and delicious both days.

In terms of location the Edinburgh Residence was perfect. I was worried, as other reviews had written about a 10-15 minute walk to Princes Street but I would guess that it is a short 5 minute walk at best. It was also nice to be set away from the hustle and bustle of the main shopping street, in a beautiful Victorian townhouse in Edinburgh’s West End.

If you are looking for modern décor or top of the range technology and mod cons, then this hotel is definitely not for you. But for those looking for a more traditional and homely Edinburgh experience would love this hotel.

1 Thank angel101Liverpool
Scotland
Reviewed 2 June 2010

This was our 6th stay in this wonderful hotel. Everything about it is just perfect. Large and very comfortable rooms,at very reasonable prices. Prime location only 10 minutes walk to Princes St. The hotel is faultless. Huge breakfast brought to your room at time of your choosing!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2010

There was nothing egregiously wrong with our stay (my parents, sister and I, three rooms for two nights), but overall it was very little value for the price paid and far less than expected from a five-star hotel in the UK.

The rooms were basically fine (although stuffy at night during the heat wave, as the windows open only a couple of inches); the service was mediocre, apathetic and made you feel like you were putting people out to ask for anything from a drink in the sitting room to booking a taxi. I have to believe they are incredibly short-staffed. Staff were kind of clueless about things to do in the area (effectively no concierge function). Cleaning was spotty (they didn't clean my room one day); turn-down service sort of haphazard (one night they hit all three rooms, one night they hit none, and by hit I simply mean sticking a chocolate on the night stand and closing all the drapes (weird)). (There were two nice and helpful Scottish boys who proved exceptions to the rule.)

The experience did not inspire confidence and I was basically disappointed in the stay. The hotel should not be considered a five-star hotel, and suggesting it is is sort of a misrepresentation. I cannot recommend this hotel. I will not stay here again.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank rksdf
UK
Reviewed 19 May 2010

What can i say? Was what would have been a fantastic get away with my partner to celebrate my birthday. Was initially given a suite that wasnt as advertised on the site, and as requested, back facing and no views but nice none the less. After feeling the cold the first night and a disturbed sleep as a result, a room move was decided and we were allocated a nicer front facing suite with a fire place.
Great until we discovered that my precious sentimental diamond ring had been stolen from its box in the room! The hotel reacted poorly, failed to contact a senior member of staff straight away and advised me to check in my shoes! There was no safety deposit box in the room and even upon request, was not available. This is not a five star stay and was greatly dissapointed by this hotel. I had to then follow up by contacting the hotel for any more news about my ring. To my great dismay was never found. Big disapointment and not at all what I would have expected from such a place.

4 Thank Hotelconniseur