“Best choice for special & romantic occasions :)” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Balmoral Hotel

The Balmoral Hotel
Ranked #9 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Poznan, Poland
“Best choice for special & romantic occasions :)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2011

On the 12th June 2011 I was realising my engagement dream day :) I live in Poland and for this very special occasion I wanted to surprise my girlfriend in a very romantic way. In short, I have planned with my friends to come visit them in Gdansk for a weekend, but in secret I have booked a tickets to Edinburgh for a one day. I've choosed to engage to my girlfriend on an Edinburgh Castle because I knew that it was her dream to engage on some Scotish castle. Surprisingly after I've booked tickets my girlfriend started to talk about beauty of Scotland (women intuition?:) and that there is one most beautiful and stunning castle, The Eilean Donan. Of course my heart decide to change the plans and I took my time to organise the travel from Edinburgh to The Eilan Donan. It was a bit challenging for a one day trip and some travel companies from Scotland have told me it’s simply impossible, but I've always believed that impossible can be possible if one have a strong and honest heart desire :)

Kneeling on the Eilean Donan Castle and proposing to my girlfriend I've heard YES! from her :) It was very romantic and memorable time we've spent on the castle, and the castle staff was really really great!

I wanted to recompense the tiring bus trip by choosing the best and romantic hotel in Edinburgh for the stay after engagement. Surprisingly I've found it on The Princess Street! :) It was The Balmoral and it was very close to the bus stations.

The stay in the hotel was amazing experience for us. When I’ve got my fiancée inside The Balmoral Hotel she stood with admiration and joy and she could not believe that this is real :) She was really happy and all the tiredness have disappear in a second :)

Everything in the hotel and our room looked so exquisite. It was feast for the eyes and for our souls. There was a surprise for us from the hotel staff, there was pink rose petals laying on the bed . The room was very beautiful, big and most comfortable. The stuff was very kind and still very professional. Breakfast was really delicious. We have really enjoyed our time in a hotel and we were simply happy :)

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (628)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2011

good service and accommodations
no free in-room wireless and we had a problem accessing it even after we paid -- outrageous to charge for internet considering the price of the room
no a la carte breakfast menu -- buffet very pricey
location not as good as the Missoni

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Halifax, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2011

This is a really fantastic hotel! The whole ambience of the place is very special indeed. The staff are incredibly attentive with their heads screwed on firmly. We stayed for two nights; a mix of business and pleasure. We had intended to stay for only one night but enjoyed it so much we decided to stay for a second night. This meant we had to change rooms which, whilst a little bit inconvenient, was really well handled by the hotel. The food at breakfast, lunch and dinner was great. I liked the fact they had sustainable fish on the menu, i.e. Pollack. Now, it is quite expensive but as I left I didn’t feel I had over-paid. I thought the price matched the service and quality very fairly indeed. The location of the hotel is terrific, right at the end of Princess Street. We were traveling by car; the fact I could draw up in front of the hotel and have the concierge take it all from there was great and completely stress free. I would recommend this hotel highly.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
roscommon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2011

This hotel is amazing. We just checked out this morning and I have to say it is one of the best hotels we have ever stayed in. The staff are friendly but extremely professional. Could not fault anything. We were on our honeymoon and they even had a lovely welcome plate with chocolates in our room on arrival. Thank you for making our stay so enjoyable - we will definitely be back!!!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Torquay, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2011

We decided to stay at the Balmoral as a treat as we were dining at No.1 Restaurant on the Sunday Evening and it was my wifes Birthday.
Our room was very spacious and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay,however there were 3 things that for me let us down.
When we arrived our room was not ready(fine we were early) and we were told our daughters room would be next to ours.
When we returned to collect our keys my daughter was on the 6th floor and we were on the 4th
Breakfast was brash and for me over crowded,the second day we had breakfast in the bar.
I did enjoy my stay at the Balmoral ,however ,it was at best very good but not great and at those prices I except Great

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
glasgow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2011

stayed in balmoral december and had a memorable stay the hotel is truly 5star was there to meet friends who were staying in Sheraton.
We booked deluxe room which was very nice although the beverges and food in mimi bar were far to exspensive £7 for jelly beans is just and example.
We had booked the resturant and were not let down every course was delicious with fantastic staff serving.
We went down to the spa which excellent ,there is realy nothing that i could complain about even down to breakfast following day it is a top class hotel which will set you back over £200 a night to stay not incl meals but a very classy hotel right next to waverley station. Big thumbs up for Balmoral

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2011

Excellent hotel right in the centre of Edinburgh. The view from our bedroom towards the castle was superb. Staff polite.

However, we left feeling a little 'empty'. Requires a bit of 'Oomph' .

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple