“Delightful Hotel with panache”
Review of The Balmoral Hotel

The Balmoral Hotel
Ranked #14 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 10 September 2011

The Balmoral Hotel is certainly different. Wonderful service. Fabulous bar. Fine breakfasts
and an exquisite restaurant.We flew from Copenhagen to Edinburgh and then took a taxi
to the hotel. Booking in was a pleasure and our room was a joy to behold....nice and roomy
with a lovely large bathroom through a separate door. The Balmoral is only five minutes walk from the railway station. Definitely a very nice place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 September 2011

This hotel is spectacular, albeit a bit pricey. The lobby is elegant and beautiful and the bar is very cozy and comfortable. Our room, on the fourth floor was very large with high ceilings and generous windows overlooking the old city across the way. The service was impeccable and the gym/spa, exceptional. Even though the hotel was very busy as we stayed there during the big Edinburgh festival - a must do - we were accommodated in every way by the hotel staff.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 September 2011

We stayed for 2 nights in August for The Fringe. Lovely rooms although I was surprised the room service cart couldn't get between the bottom of the bed and the TV - hence a lot of unnecessary moving of dishes and plates! My sons had a twin room which was much larger. My only other issue was that as a small person with knee issues I found the bathtub/shower a bit of a problem, the bath is very deep and high with a wide surround - I think only the suites have a walk in shower. The service was excellent and we had a delightful stay.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank LondonPug2black
Reviewed 3 September 2011

This hotel is in a great location in the centre of Edinburgh and if you want the shops it could not be better. For a city centre hotel it is fabulous and the service is great. We did not eat in the hotel as there are so many great places to eat in Edinburgh so I cannot comment on the food except breakfast which was good, if not a little pricey. The Concierge service was really helpful and worth using especially if you only have a short time in the city. The bedrooms (classic) are fairly small but have everything you need and the beds were very comfortable. If you want somewhere to stay in Edinburgh then I could recommend this place.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank charles p
Reviewed 2 September 2011

We stayed right in the middle of festival season - and were so impressed with the hotel staff's ability to make guests feel pampered and relaxed notwithstanding the insanity outside the doors. We arrived very early and tho our room wasn't ready the front desk called us as soon as it was, and we had a lovely early morning walk on the royal mile without the crowds. Our room was spacious and comfortable, the bathroom had a kitschy picture of Sean Connery which seemd a nice touch of whimsy, and while the view was just of city rooftops we certainly felt we received great value overall. Particularly when you consider the concierge desk - if there is a better concierge in Europe I'd like to see it. These folks are brilliant - they can work miracles. Edinburgh restaurants and sights go into almost lockdown in August, yet the Balmoral can help you do just about anything you might want. This is one very special city, and to stay in a place like the Balmoral adds considerably the charm. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Jim B
Reviewed 26 August 2011

We decided to go to Edinburgh at the last minute for two nights from London. Having been to Edinburgh before, I knew which hotel I wanted to stay at for a few reasons - view and location. It is on Princes street with the best view of the Royal Mile and Castle.

We had requested a room with a view and they didnt disappoint. The view was amazing. We were however on the top floor, 6th, and this had a tiny tiny window which was very disappointing. Looking from outside, the top floor was the only floor with these windows. As we were not in the room much, we left it. With this the room felt extremely small and closed in.

Other than this, every was great from checkin to check out. Professional staff, helpful concierge, amazing bathrooms.

I would definitely recommend. If you want a castle view...make sure you ask for 5th floor or lower!

Room Tip: Castle view is a must....not on 6th floor though!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Furree
Reviewed 25 August 2011

I visited this hotel for a weekend break with my partner, the hotel from entering to check in was very nice, it looked good, on arrival to the room it was small compared to the height of the room, I can live with that, the view was disgusting. Im surprised for a hotel of that standard to have not though of someway to give it a more plesant look. I spoke to the management about another room, which they would only do if I paid a substantial upgrade,, they we're rude and uninterested, I was upset, infact tearful due to the way they belittled me, they made me feel I couldn't afford to stay there, considering I paid over £210 per night not including breakfast, it's not something to be sniffed at we we're there for 2 nights.

Would I return NEVER, did I like the reception, Manager service NO they we're only interested in the wims of those in the Rolls Royces, all guest should be treated with respect and understanding not to feel like a second class citizen like I was made to feel.

I wrote to them when I go home, again nothing but that's the way it is.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
balmoraledinburgh, Manager at The Balmoral Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2011

Dear Guest

I am sorry to learn from your review of your disappointment with the outlook from your room during your stay last September. Since your stay, our courtyard has undergone refurbishment to improve the view from our internal facing rooms. Whilst some of our guests welcome the peace that these rooms provide, I appreciate that it does not meet everyone’s preference.

We work hard to deliver high levels of service to each of our guests and generally receive great feedback so I regret if this was not the impression you were given. It is also our aim to respond to all guest correspondence but having checked our files I could not locate your letter so, again, would like to apologise if you were left with the feeling we had not taken your comments seriously.

Should you decide to return to Edinburgh in the future, please do feel free to contact me directly to discuss our room categories so that I can ensure you are reserved a room that best meets with your expectations.

Yours sincerely