The Balmoral Hotel
      The Inn Place(Edinburgh)
      • Bar/Lounge
      • Pool
      4,103 results
      All reviewsthe palm courthadrian's brasseriescotch barrocco fortemarble bathroomsean conneryconcierge stafftrain stationbeautiful hotelturn down serviceluxury hotelprinces streetbirthday treatedinburgh castlecastle viewroyal milespa
      FilterAll languages
      Reviewed 18 September 2011

We booked 3 rooms close by each other to enable the family to get together and celebrate my husband's 65th birthday and retirement. We don't normally use 5 star hotels but as it was a special occasion....... The room was spacious and spotless, with a fantastic view of Princes Street and the castle. Plenty of seating space and a lovely marble bathroom - fantastic shower and toiletries etc, plus pictures of Sean Connery as James Bond! Lovely "dressing table" in the bathroom, well lit and ideal for doing makeup. Air con kept the bedroom cool. Turn down service every night, with slippers, bottled water etc. Very comfy bed and superb feather pillows and duvet.The staff were wonderful and couldn't do enough for us. They found us a babysitter for my 7 month grandson, willingly changed the cot, when it was found to have an annoying squeak and also produced some weetabix for his breakfast. We found the breakfast excellent but a little confusing, as to whether to order from staff, whether to go to the buffet etc. For that price, I would be happy to fetch cereals and juice but would have preferred to be able to order exactly what I wantewd in the way of cooked food from the serving staff. Bar drinks are expensive and afternoon tea of tea, scones, jam and cream in the Palm Court, complete with harpist playing, was around £11 a head.
      They obviously noted it was my husband's birthday and provided us with chocolates on a plate in our room, with a birthday wish in chocolate writing, which was a nice touch. They also gave my grandson a Balmoral teddy bear! When I asked for a complimentary tea tray, it appeared within minutes. The concierge team were brilliant and happy to help and book anything you needed.
      Slight disappointment that the Hadrian's brasserie wasn't available on Sunday night for a meal because of a private booking but otherwise an excellent stay. We also had a meal in the Number One restaurant ( Michelin starred) and I had a manicure in the spa/beauty facility, both of which were superb.
      All in all, pricey but you are paying for first class customer service, which is what you get. An excellent and enjoyable stay - highly recommended for a special occasion such as ours.

Room Tip: My son's room looked out on the courtyard and other windows. Worth paying for a larger room with a castle view.
      • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
      Reviewed 15 September 2011

I stayed just one night on a business trip and found everything to be perfect. The location is Princes St which is the main walking road right opposite the Edinburgh castle. Check in was smooth. The hotel is large yet gives a cozy feeling. The room isn't large but the size was certainly better compared to London hotels plus the ceiling is high which gave a spacious feeling. Internet is available on your tv for 5 pounds. Ordered room service for dinner and had breakfast on the ground floor restaurant and found the food very tasty on both occasions. The price of 140 pounds I got was very reasonable (but I don't know if this is a corporate rate but suspect yes).

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
      Reviewed 15 September 2011

I have stayed here a few time over the last few years for various occasions, my birthday, my mothers birthday and 2 family trips. On every occasion the service has been second to none. My family and I love the old fashioned elegance of this superior hotel. The room service is fantastic! we love the burgers! The breakfasts are superior to any others we have received in other hotels of this stature. The concierge is fantastic and is happy to arrange trips. I cannot commend this hotel enough. We just love it. Luxury at its finest.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
      Reviewed 13 September 2011

There for a wedding, so the rate was reduced-still £210/night incl.breakfast. The lobby is grand and has a great location, but the service was not of a standard I expect from a hotel like this. Exception to that were the valet/door staff, who were excellent. Had to ask 3 times for an iron to the room ,and as the room was not ready prior to the wedding (despite being called during the week about this and arranging an early entry to the room) , this really irked me. The bar was fine, nothing special, the meal at the wedding was decidedly average (& i'm sure it cost a fortune per head). i've stayed at the Radisson Blu in the Royal Mile and le Monde in George St and had a better experience--pretty poor value overall but certainly nothing special for the money. The room was nice compared to some of the other guests rooms-6th floor facing courtyard (not a great view but quiet), beds were decent but would I stay again- no!!

Room Tip: Higher floors seem to be refurbished and modernised
      • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
      Reviewed 12 September 2011

We decided to treat ourselves and stay at Fodors first choice for lodging for 2 nights. I am sorry we did. Our room was smaller than an average hotel room in the states. The bathroom was elegant and very upscale, but for about $370 a night, it was definetly not worth it. You had to pay for internet access and there was no coffee or hot water pot in the room. I guess they believe that if you can afford those prices, you can order room service! During our 14 day stay in Scotland we had stayed at much better places for the value of our money. This stay was our only mistake of our trip.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends