“Dishonest staff”

Ranked #10 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Scotland
“Dishonest staff”
Reviewed 2 January 2012

Please be careful when booking with this hotel as they will try to con you.

We had chosen this hotel for our New Year celebrations as we had heard good reports about their gala ball with its excusive view of the midnight fireworks.

They sent us a quote and then confirmed in writing that this included accomadation. We made our plans and booked our travel. However when we confirmed our booking they stated that there had been a 'typing error' and they required a further £600 per person per night.

We decided that we did not want to stay with an organisation that would change the goal posts in this way and had a wonderful stay at another Edinburgh hotel.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank scotworldtraveller
balmoraledinburgh, General Manager at The Balmoral Hotel, responded to this review, 4 January 2012
Dear Guest

Whilst I was delighted to note that you heard good reports about The Balmoral’s Gala Ball and unrivalled views of the Edinburgh fireworks, I am disappointed to read your recent review of your booking process, particularly after our written correspondence regarding the matter.

I am sorry that, due to a typing error, there was some confusion over the Gala Ball and accommodation pricing and would like to once again apologise for this misunderstanding. During the correspondence regarding your booking I was pleased that we were able to offer you an alternative menu to meet your dietary requirements for the evening. I was also grateful that you acknowledged that this was a genuine mistake and expressed that you thought the member of staff who dealt with your reservation was very courteous. In order to compensate for this mistake we offered you a 10% discount on the Gala Ball tickets. However, I was disappointed that you didn't respond to this offer, particularly as a space was held for your party at the Gala Ball.

It is also regrettable that you have posted this review rating your overall hotel experience, without having visited The Balmoral on this occasion.

Our warm Scottish hospitality is something we take great pride in and I hope you are able to visit the hotel in the near future in order for us to restore your confidence in our service and to fully experience The Balmoral. Please don't hesitate to contact me personally if you wish to discuss this matter further.

Yours Sincerely

Franck Arnold

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (658)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 1 January 2012

Myself and my husband spent three days over Christmas at the Balmoral and overall we were very happy with the experience. Firstly service is second to none. All staff we encountered were fantastic and extremely friendly and courteous. The room was quite large in comparisons to recent hotels experienced in the UK and Europe. The bathroom was great with a very large bathtub. The only issue really is that the standard room is a little dated and the lighting lets it down. Other than that I am very pleased we chose the Balmoral as it had a great christmas atmosphere which ultimately is what we were looking for. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and everyone

• Stayed December 2011
glasgow
Reviewed 31 December 2011

As Edinburgh is one of our favourite destinations, we have stayed in many boutique and big hotels in Edinburgh. The Balmoral is firmly our favourite, and our stay last night was probably our 5th stay (losing count now!). We had been given a gift of a hotel stay at the Sheraton Grand and theatre package, but we could not and would not stay there due to several issues, and so checked out and came back to The Balmoral. This saved our trip - it turned around from being a disaster to being a great stay. By the time we arrived at the Balmoral we were upset and angry at our experience just had at the Sheraton. But as soon as you walk through the door, all the staff make you feel as though you are special and all stress is dissolved. The glass of champagne at check in was a lovely touch.
Everything here is fabulous - the rooms, the comfy beds, the food, the service, the decor. I seriously cannot criticize anything. But more important than all of these things is the staff. Every member of staff without fail has genuine warmth, and all are truly focussed on ensuring that every guest has an amazing stay. Nothing is any trouble at all. If you are thinking about staying, then I would recommend it and say go ahead and book it.
Till next time..

Haworth, New Jersey
Reviewed 29 December 2011

Some people confuse this with Balmoral Castle which of course is one of the Queen's residences. However, the Balmoral Hotel does give you the royal treatment. The rooms are not huge but they have fine details with old-world charm. By our second time through the lobby the doormen were able to address us individually by name and knew just the right questions to make sure our stay was enjoyable. The location is superb - you can walk to absolutely everything. Food is overpriced at the hotel restaurants - worth the splurge for ambiance if you are celebrating a special occasion - but you are so close to every option imaginable. We have stayed at a variety of accommodations in Edinburgh and the Balmoral is really a place that will never disappoint. We got a great, great deal online and I've seen them post specials on a regular basis. Overall a top-notch stay.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Londonjack
Kent, UK
Reviewed 27 December 2011

Had a wonderful 3 night stay in December to celebrate a special anniversary - couldn't have been better - upgrade and well meant good wishes. Room was lovely, staff great and ate in both restaurants - excellent. Go there!

2 Thank FiJay12
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 December 2011

We have just returned from a two night stay at the hotel and I can not begin to tell you how much we enjoyed it. I have thirteen years experience in front of house in the hotel trade and I feel I can type this with a degree of knowledge and I was blown away by the staff and the room.

We arrived late on the evening of the 23/12/11 and upon walking to the door it was opened by the concierge who asked if he could help, when I said my name he greeted me with "Welcome Mr ##### we have been expecting you, is that your car outside?" once I replied yes he said not to worry and whilst we were booking in he would take care of the car. I was shown to the desk and there was a warm transfer between the concierge and the receptionist. I booked in and was shown to my room and we exchanged conversation with the receptionist who went out of his way to explain where everything was and what time things were open to etc.

We had booked a deluxe double room and when we went in again it was a stunning room with plenty of space and a view of the old town which just made it all the better. Within five minutes of being in there the luggage arrived and the concierge had really emptied the car of all the presents bags etc, which was placed in the walk in wardrobe.

Breakfast the following morning was suburb and on our way down we were greeted with a good morning by all the hotel staff which I felt was a nice touch.

At every twist and turn this hotel and staff were well above what I expected, the concierge desk went well above and beyond even offering to go and get the car filled up with fuel on the the in case there were no garages open on Xmas day.

In this day and age they say you get what you pay for and I can say for the £165 per night I felt we got very good value for money.

Every time we go back home and stay in Edinburgh I can assure you this will be the first booking we make.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the old town its a stunning view
3 Thank jockieluv
Mumbai, India
Reviewed 25 December 2011

Having stayed at this hotel a few times over the past year, primarily on business. The thoughts to describe the experience are - great hotel, great service, warm & friendly staff, excellent location, lovely breakfast and lovely spa, fitness center and pool...just great stuff!

Gets a top notch recommendation for business or pleasure - whatever the sort of trip may be. Perhaps one of the best, at least in UK.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business