“Lovely stay at the Balmoral...........”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Balmoral Hotel

The Balmoral Hotel
Ranked #10 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Grangemouth
“Lovely stay at the Balmoral...........”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Balmoral in Edinburgh for a belated birthday treat. The service when we arrived was second to none. However, the first room we were given was very poor indeed. It was on the 6th floor (602), and can only be described as something that I would have expected in a Travel Lodge. It was dreadful. We went back to reception and were shown to another room which was lovely, just what we would have expected from a hotel of this standard. We didn't have dinner in the hotel, however we did have cocktails in the bar and the were fab. Breakfast was also excellent, however we had a long wait as our order had went adrift. The manager could not apologise enough, and we were not in a hurry, so it wasn't a big deal. The main thing I can say about this hotel is that the staff are second to none and I think this is what makes it a fantastic place to stay. We would definitely stay again. It is expensive (not posh), however I would imagine most people would know that before they booked.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nicbut

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (634)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2012

My wife and I had booked a six night stay at this hotel via Booking.Com and unfortunately on the day we were due to depart, I became quite ill.

I contacted the hotel and advised them of tyhe situation and asked the following;

1. Could the accommodation be altered to another date, and/or
2. Could my son who happened to be travelling in Scotland, use the accommodation in my place
3. Lastly, could the dinner booking we had prepaid for Xmas day be cancelled and the 75 punds be refunded

The contact at the hotel (Louisa) advsied she would discuss with her Manager and phone me back that day, no return call occurred.

I followed up the following day, again spoke to Louisa and she promised a further phone call to discuss the situation would come from her Manager, again no return call.

On the folloiwng Monday (now 4 nights wasted, very frustrating) I again Louisa and she advised her Manager was on holidays and would return Wed 27th Dec and would definately call, again no call. At this poitn, any chance of my son using the hotel had completely disappeared.

Overall for a highly rated hotel, this level of service is very poor.

on the first phone call, I spoke to Louisa who advised

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
9 Thank greggscanlan1
balmoraledinburgh, Reservations Manager at The Balmoral Hotel, responded to this review, 18 January 2012
Dear Guest

I am delighted that we have been able to resolve this matter with you following our recent correspondence and would once again like to offer my sincere apologies for the manner in which your reservation was handled over the busy festive period. Although your reservation was non-refundable, as per the terms and conditions set out during the booking process, I am pleased that we have been able to come to an agreement under these unforeseen circumstances. I appreciate that there was some inconvenience caused to you and your family due to a communication breakdown and as a result, I have reviewed our reservations follow up procedures in order to take this into account.

I am delighted that you will be staying with us in the near future and look forward to restoring your confidence in the hotel at that time.

Yours Sincerely

Justine Sanderson
Reservations Manager
Gloucestershire, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2012

On occasions, it's fun to stay at a quirky, one-off place which offers something a little "different". Other times, it's good to arrive at an hotel feeling confident that everything will be immaculately presented, exactly as expected and 100% reliable. It's into that latter category that the Balmoral falls. There are no surprises, only very comfortable accommodation and superb service which matches or exceeds one's expectations when booking an hotel such as this.

We'd booked (and paid for) superior rooms for a weekend away to celebrate a birthday. Both rooms were on the 4th floor, overlooking the Old Town. One, a large king bedded room was somewhat larger than the other, double room next door, but both were furnished with the same stylish, contemporary - but conventional - decor and each had the same cool, clean, marble bathroom. Amenities were of a similarly high quality - REN - and the whole ambiance was refreshing yet tranquil.

Other reviewers have noted the cost of internet access and here I would agree that it is excessive, considering the price paid for overnight accommodation in an hotel of this standing. But I would disagree with comments about the tea and coffee making tray, which was gladly brought to our room and replenished daily without further requests. Fresh milk was also cheerfully supplied and one call to ask for camomile tea resulted in daily supplies of that, too.

The concierge proved topnotch when recommending restaurants during this, the closed season for many of the larger ones. David's suggestions hit the spot perfectly and we were glad to discover two places we'd not have found without his help. Breakfast was included in our rate and in spite of indulgence the previous evenings, we did our best to do the ample buffet justice. Here again, the staff were friendly yet courteous, attentive but unobtrusive.

That just about sums up our experience of The Balmoral. There is nothing flashy here, nothing which could be described as trendy or cutting edge but a solid, professionally run establishment which puts the guests first. Nothing is too much trouble and the one minor issue we encountered was taken seriously and resolved to our satisfaction.

We would return to The Balmoral without question and recommend it wholeheartedly.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank elegantraveller
aberdeen
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2012

I ave stayed in this hotel many time,they ave the best service you will find in this country.
We get welcome all the time with sweets or personalised card for my daughter from the manager welcoming her.
Room service and breakfast is really good too.
Do not even try other hotel ,we did a lot of them but nothing come closed to the balmoral.

Room Tip: Castle view room are best and upper floor are very quiet.always phone before arrival if you need any...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Fred V
cumbria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2012

My sister and I had a brilliant stay at the Balmoral, we stayed in a suite, this was more than comfortable and relaxing after a busy day Christmas shopping. The in room breakfast and service was unbeatable. The staff were excellent from each department, If only everywhere could provide the same service. The location is excellent just a few minutes from the train station and 5 minutes to the quality shops e.g. Harvey Nichols.
This was my second visit, the standards and staff are 5 star.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank lollcourty
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2012

My wife and I have stayed at The Balmoral twice now - the last time during the 2011 Christmas period.

Despite only having been to Edinburgh twice, it was not by accident that we decided to stay at The Balmoral for a second time (despite a range of other high-end hotels in Edinburgh, such as The Witchery and the Missoni, being available). The reason is simple: The Balmoral is pretty close to perfect.

Every member of staff that we met or spoke with was simply charming - the management clearly does an excellent job of recruiting and motivating the hotel's staff.

The general decor of the hotel is stylish yet relaxed - very much in keeping with the ethos of the Rocco Forte group of hotels (of which my wife and I are now firm fans after spending our honeymoon in Verdura, Sicily). This was enhanced yet further by the wonderful christmas tree in the lobby and the carol singers in Palm Court that greeted our arrival. You could not wish for a more welcoming start to a stint in Edinburgh (or anywhere else for that matter).

Our room - a deluxe city view, overlooking Edinburgh castle - was very comfortable (the bed, in particular, was most noteworthy), pleasantly decorated and in good condition. My only suggestion would be that the inclusion of an iPod dock would make a worthy and useful upgrade for the rooms.

We ate in the hotel's casual restaurant, Hadrian's Brasserie, for both dinner and breakfast. Dinner, in particular, was completely faultless - festively themed, expertly prepared and good value for money. Breakfast was very good and offered a broad menu.

I had only two complaints: (1) the bathroom, although very clean and in good condition, looked a little dated (not helped by the (impeccably clean, white) shower curtain and the very large, ill-fitting window which let in a considerable, freezing-cold, draft and a good deal of street noise); and (2) the noise of construction work being carried out directly below our room. Although the construction work was clearly beyond the hotel's control, it continued throughout the entire night. Surely the hotel would (or should?) have known about this in advance, and notified its guests accordingly? The hotel was clearly not full, and I had booked the room weeks in advance, so I would like to have had the option of a different room (away from the noise) when I checked-in. Nonetheless, a brief complaint around midnight (after being unable to sleep through the noise) saw us promptly, and very politely, upgraded to a suite on the other side of the hotel.

Overall, I heartily recommend The Balmoral. I will absolutely insist on staying here on my next trip to Edinburgh.

Room Tip: If there's no construction work outside the hotel(!), opt for a room with a view of Edinburgh Ca...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DmW_LondonUK
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2012

Great 5 star hotel in perfect Edinburgh location. Very nice Saturday night stay in a Deluxe King room on the 4th floor facing the old town. Very good sized room with king bed (two smaller beds zipped together though - not ideal). Nice bathroom, would have preferred a seperate shower though. Good size LCD TV. Very quiet room with no noise from adjacent rooms. Feels 5 star, although a couple of the fittings are maybe a bit old. Excellent service throughout. The spa area was nice and relaxing, pool a reasonable size for a city centre hotel. Free coffee in the spa area was good.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple