“Just what we needed”
Review of The Balmoral Hotel

The Balmoral Hotel
Ranked #13 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 20 February 2012

This is one of my favourite hotels and this was my fourth visit.....twice with friends and now twice with my husband. We stayed two nights as a treat after our daughter's wedding I needed a relaxing massage on the first afternoon. We had a lovely view over Arthur's Seat and the Old Town and the room although small had everything a visitor could want. We ate in Hadrian's Resturant which has a good menu and attentive staff. The staff are what make this an extra special hotel .....they go out of their way... Eg when we asked about going to Leith to see Britannia not only were we advised which bus to get but that we needed exactly £1:30.
Five star service from every memberof staff...... Can't wait to return

Room Tip: Facing over the old town .... Much quieter than Princess Street
2  Thank lauraGTyneside
balmoraledinburgh, General Manager at The Balmoral Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2012

Dear Guest

I was absolutely delighted to read that you and your husband enjoyed a very relaxing stay with us at The Balmoral following your daughter's recent wedding.

I have shared your feedback with my colleagues who took such good care of you throughout your stay. We strive for guest satisfaction and service excellence and appreciate such positive comments from our valued guests.

Thank you once again for being so kind and taking the time to review your stay. We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Balmoral in the future.

Kind regards
Franck Arnold, General Manager, The Balmoral Hotel, Edinburgh

There are newer reviews for The Balmoral Hotel

Reviewed 20 February 2012

I stayed at the balmoral at the weekend for one night with my boyfriend. We both had such an amazing time. We are used to staying at 5 star hotels across the world, but I really feel this hotel has something extra special. From the concierge and reception staff to the bartenders, they all make you feel so special and treat you like royalty!! We didn't have dinner here, but had pre dinner drinks at the bollinger bar which is stunning with amazing cocktails.
The room was gorgeous with perfect amenities and location is excellent.
I really can't wait to go back, forget London, Edinburgh is the new city break! :) x

Reviewed 20 February 2012

Mother daughter trip in Edinburgh. Firstly the location can't be beaten in Edinburgh particularly if arriving by train as it's immediately beside Waverley station on princes street. it's a grande dame of a place with an imposing lobby and lounge but cool bathrooms and pretty luxurious bedrooms. We stayed in an executive room, one up from a classic but certainly not particularly spacious. We had champagne and oysters in the palm court lounge which were extremely good and dinner in hadrians brasserie, again very good. The spa is not especially big but well appointed. Service was very good generally but all concierges were excellent.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 February 2012

This was my first visit to the Balmoral, but certainly not the last.
The staff were friendly and efficient from the front of house to the housekeeping! My visit was a treat for myself and my friend from my husband for my birthday and everyone made it extra special, nothing was to much trouble. We dined in Hadrian's Brasserie food was outstanding!!
The room was beautiful with stunning views of the Castle, I would recommend this hotel to everyone who is searching for somewhere with outstanding service, comfort and that little something extra. Looking forward to my next visit.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 February 2012

I've stayed in the Balmoral several times over the years for business and it's always a pleasure to return to it. Nothing is ever too much for the staff, whether it's Kevin sorting out restaurants for me on the Concierge desk or Ian making sure an espresso is never too far away.

The styling of the rooms is classic but contemporary and never jars the eye (Always a nice feature of Rocco Forte Hotels). I was lucky to be given a deluxe category room and the bed was amazing...had a great night's sleep!
Room service breakfast arrived right on time the next morning and all in all I thoroughly enjoyed my stay. I only wish it had a been a bit longer.

The hotel is perfectly located, right in the middle of town and immediately above Waverley station. It has a variety of bars, restaurants and a lovely Palm Court to have Afternoon Tea.

But it's the service that always stands out for me. It's impeccable.

Room Tip: Ask for a Castle view, Suite 522 is the JK Rowling Suite where Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 February 2012

I have recently spent some time in Edinburgh, which is a great city to visit; we stayed at the Balmoral Hotel. The service is what you would expect from a 5 star hotel, but better, all the staff are helpful and friendly, from check in to check out we enjoyed our stay. It was my partner birthday, and after we had taken a relaxing swim in the pool, and had a steam, we came back to our room to find a plate with a chocolates and happy birthday on the plate, I only mentioned it at check in and the young lady picked up on it, these are the touched I have got to say make a great hotel. The Balmoral bar is brilliant, the staff where excellent, and the waitresses and cocktail makers are an asset to the hotel, catering to whatever cocktail you want and how you want it (making a strong Vespa for me) One night we had the 5-course cocktail taster menu, by the end of the 5th cocktail we where full and out for the count, very good service, excellent staff and just the type of luxury service I really enjoy. 100% recommend this hotel, brilliant location too.

Reviewed 18 February 2012

We stayed at The Balmoral Hotel in Edinburgh for four nights in February 2012. The hotel in an historical and architectural landmark, located at the top of Royal Mile. Aside from the Zoo and Royal Britannia Yacht, everything you want to see in Edinburgh is at your doorstep. The plaque upon entry says Children Welcome, and mine (ages 7, 4 & 1) were treated like royalty from the moment we arrived. The staff is friendly and the service impeccable. The rooms are beautiful and our views up the hillside were breathtaking. The concierge was also fabulous, even having two glasses of champagne sent to our table one evening at dinner out on the town. The children had bathrobes and slippers awaiting them, as well as a welcome art pack. The baby's crib was made up, diapers laid out, changing table set, bottle warmer and sterilizer prepared and baby bath (complete with custom rubber duckie) in the bathroom. On the first night there were cookies and roasted marshmallows awaiting them in the afternoon and in night two Balmoral-embroidered bathrobed teddy bears arrived. When I had to call room service and request information relating to food allergies they were fabulous (even offering to replace the plate of sweets with other items, while apologizing profusely -- I had not informed them previously of any food issues.). I cannot say enough about this hotel, this is my first posting on Trip Advisor as a result!

• Stayed: February 2012