“Great Location, Great service, Great Hotel”
Review of The Balmoral Hotel

The Balmoral Hotel
Ranked #10 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
“Great Location, Great service, Great Hotel”
Reviewed 9 May 2012 via mobile

I brought my 3 young daughters up from London for a few nights. The hotel is literally next to the train station (ALL GOOD... We heard NOTHING in terms of train noise), which was quite convenient.
We were greeted by the friendly door staff and then at reception--everyone was helpful and friendly. The girls even had kid-sized bath robes and slippers waiting for them in the rooms.
All of the major tourist sights are within a 10 minute walk and easy to get to.
The bar had some of the best hamburgers my girls have ever had and dinner in the restaurant was lovely, with many choices for all.
The pool was fantastic and a nice way to spend a few hours in the late afternoon. The spa staff were very welcoming and went out of their way to make sure the girls were settled.
Would DEFINITELY recommend a stay here to explore Edinburgh.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank CNKLONDON

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (651)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Middle East
Reviewed 9 May 2012

My rating takes in to account the price and supposed to be 5* luxury-ness of this hotel.
The good:
The outside of the hotel looks fantastic.
The restaurants, lobby, etc... look fantastic
The location is good (though many hotels in the area are similarly good)
The concierge and staff service were excellent.

The bad:
Our room was VERY SMALL. I had to move furniture to open my suitcase.
The room was cheaply furnished and looked dated. The TV stand, the bed stand, the desk, the lamps. All felt very cheap and/or looked quite old. 1970's old, not antique old.
Our room was a small, plain, white, square box. No effort at all for style of feeling.
The room was noisy at night. The hotel is on the corner of two busy streets. Our windows seemed to be a thin single pane of glass that also did not seal completely. I was woken up in the wee hours by the grinding of trucks and laughter of drunks.

I had high expectations for here but my jaw dropped when I saw the room. No romance, no character, no luxury. I would not return. Check the pictures.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
8 Thank bokad
balmoraledinburgh, General Manager at The Balmoral Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2012
Dear Guest

I would like to thank you for your positive comments regarding the appearance of our hotel and restaurants and in particular your comments on our service. Our warm Scottish hospitality is something we take great pride in and we aim to offer an unrivalled personal service for all guests. I am delighted to hear that this is something you noted during your stay. I was however, disappointed to read your comments regarding your room. The Balmoral offers a variety of room categories to suit varying needs, starting with our Classic rooms. Each of the rooms in the hotel is unique in terms of size and decor and whilst many of our guests enjoy the simplicity and understated luxury of the design and decor, we understand that this is very much a matter of personal taste and I am sorry that we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion. Perhaps a different category of room would better suit your needs. We are currently refurbishing a number of our rooms and I would be delighted to update your guest profile to reflect your preferences for a newly refurbished room.

I also regret to learn that you experienced some noise disturbance from outside the hotel. The city centre can be extremely busy at times and I do regret that the street noise impaired the enjoyment of your stay. As a Grade A listed historical building, we must maintain our original windows however our engineering team are now looking into whether we can further soundproof the room, whilst keeping within the limitations of planning permissions for a listed building, such is ours.

I hope you are able to visit the hotel in the near future in order for us to restore your confidence in our accommodation. Please don't hesitate to contact me personally to discuss this matter further.

Yours Sincerely

Franck X Arnold
Wallington, Surrey
Reviewed 5 May 2012

The bedroom we had looked out over Edinburgh Castle and Princes Street - one of the most stunning views I've ever had at a hotel, especially at night. The huge bed was comfortable and the bathroom had its own area for hairdrying - very handy. At the restaurant the staff were delightful - we went the whole hog and had the tasting menu. Every wine was explained to us before each small, perfect course. The wine waiter was delightful, as were all the staff in both the restaurant and the hotel.
The swimming pool was lovely and warm with lovely loungers by the pool. There was a steam room which I had all to myself. It has its own special lift down to the basement.
For the full breakfast every item on the plate was of excellent quality. Checkout was efficient to the point that when we were ready, the chauffeur appeared, ready to take us to the next hotel. I must add that this trip was a prize, so we only had to pay for extras. Memorable!

Room Tip: Choose a room overlooking the castle.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Vicky225
Rothley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2012

Our 4 night stay, with daughter and granddaughter was a triumphal success. Location made it very easy to visit Edinburgh's historic places of interest and helpful reception and concierge staff identified "best places" to visit. Meals, décor, public rooms, rooms and bathrooms and service were all to an exemplary standard. The use of one's names, by the staff, at every opportunity made the hotel seem caring & homely - more of a feeling that you were one of the family than just another guest. Great attention was given to our granddaughter, and to other children in the hotel, to make sure that they were comfortable at all times. We look forward to another visit.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Ian W
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2012

This is one of those wonderful but rare places which serves you by anticipating your need or by responding to requests with speed, courtesy and efficiency.This Hotel represents quality without being pretentious. The prices reflect their high standards and the number of personnel involved in making your stay what you want it to be - in my case relaxed. Fabulous fun having cocktails in the Palm Court before dinner. The brasserie is chic, elegant and serves stunning beef ! They were all very flexible about dealing with my wheelchair and very welcoming to my daughter who I was visiting as a student and who came in to join us for various drinks, meals and a Spa. I received everything I could have wanted from this superb hotel. Can't fault it. Thanks to all.

Room Tip: My room had a superb view from Arthur's Seat to the Castle. It was on the back but don't wor...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed 4 May 2012

This hotel has an excellent location, in the center of the town and at the heart of all the action. Nonetheless, I'm not quite sure it's worth the money. It's not that anything was wrong; the place is beautiful and clean, and the staff in the bar and the front door are very friendly. It just seemed to be lacking something--soul, a vibe, ambience--whatever you call it, that you find at the smaller, quirkier boutique hotels. If grand hotels are your thing (and they're often mine), this could be the place for you. On the other hand, if you're looking for something with more soul or character, you might want to try another place.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Nancy M
Naples, Florida
Reviewed 4 May 2012

I have stayed in many 4 and 5 star hotels and the Balmoral Hotel surpassed my expectations. The room was well appointed with comfortable bed and nice linens. The bath was updated and very nice. The service was excellent - they responded to each of my requests immediately and efficiently. On top of all this, it's location was ideal. I can't wait to return.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo