“Wow. Would stay here again but ask for a room with a view.”
Review of The Balmoral Hotel

The Balmoral Hotel
Ranked #10 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Boston, Massachusetts
“Wow. Would stay here again but ask for a room with a view.”
Reviewed 30 June 2012

Pro's: location, cleanliness, fotos of Sean Connery in the bathroom (?!), service, restaurants, health club, comfy bed in a big room

Con's: UK seems to be anti-WiFi, we did not have a room with a view (we didn't know to request one), a bit pricey (but we got what we paid for)

Tips: ask for a room with a view; enjoy their facilities (including lounge & restaurants), good concierge, front desk, wake up calls and bellmen; total package

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (658)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Arona Tenerife
Reviewed 29 June 2012

We spent the last two nights of our honeymoon in this hotel, its was wonderful, when the reception staff found out we were on honeymoon, they upgraded our room at no extra cost, when we arrived in the room there was a plate with congratulations written in chocolate and some lovely fondant fancies that tasted divine. That night we dined in their restaurant No. 1 this needs to be experienced to be believed, the food, service and ambiance was fantastic. we rerurned to our room to find our bed turned down with rose petals scattered over the bed, the following day we had breakfast served in our room this i would definately recommend,we used the spa and dined in hadriens brasserie, again the food and service did not disappoint. All in all i could not fault anything in this hotel. Will definately be back ( for our first anniversary i hope)

Room Tip: Rooms with a castle view are wonderful
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Lancashire
Reviewed 28 June 2012

I took my mum here for a two night stay as a special treat - we are not badly off, but this is not something we could do regularly. I booked the hotel late, so I got an Executive Double at about half the rack rate. I requested a twin when booking online, but this did not go through to the person booking, but it was no trouble for them to get housekeeping to change it.

This is a 5 star hotel, so many of the good points are a given, but I was impressed that the hotel staff seemed sincerely pleasant, treated us as nicely as the more affluent guests (I think the staff at some 4 star hotels are snooty, but I found the staff at the Balmoral delightful). Little things made the stay good, from the loan of umbrellas to brave the Edinburgh weather, to asking us whether we had remembered to clear out the safe, to getting a personal phone call to tell us our room was ready half an hour earlier than promised.

I went down for a morning swim on Saturday morning before breakfast and I had the pool, sauna and steam room to myself. It was like I imagine a Cunard liner pool would be from the 1920s, it was beautiful, with a bar at the side to help yourself to complimentary drinks. I would recommend you steel yourself to get up early if you can, to experience it as I did.

Room Tip: If you like it quiet, and may want to open the window at night, I would recommend an inward view suc...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank rachelh9610
London
Reviewed 28 June 2012

I organised a surprise trip to Edinburgh for my parents as a Christmas present.

At the last minute I selected this hotel above the Hilton as I saw from other tripadvisor reviews that was undergoing renovation.

My parents had a wonderful time, they said the staff were lovely and the hotel was very decent -clean, modern and excellently located.

The central booking system for the hotel was a bit of a downside and I didn't find the staff particularly helpful when organising and trying to make it special for my parents, but it worked out well in the end so that's the main thing. The breakfast was apparently very good, but the hotel should try and include that cost in all bookings, as it's a big cost on top of the rooms.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
scotland
Reviewed 25 June 2012

Booked into Balmoral for son's graduation. Excellent location, staff friendly,helpful, special thanks to Andy on concierge desk. Hotel staff all deserve greatfull thanks for making the stay so relaxing. Room was excellent and the porter adjusted the air con! Breakfast was delightful and staff very attentive. I would thoroughly recommend a visit and I will return in the future. Thank you 1 an all for the luxury experience.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 25 June 2012

My daughter and I stayed here for 3 nights and we had such a wonderful time. The service was wonderful, where they accommodated us for our last night even though the travel agent had not booked the third night. They were very helpful to find a room during a very busy time. The spa was wonderful and we enjoyed room service and the restaurants as well. I definitely would recommend this hotel!

Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2012

I often travel to edinburgh on business and stay at the balmoral, it is in an excellent location, the staff are very friendly and helpful especially frank and david at the concierge desk. The hotel is very well run, even when at high occupancy the same high standards are maintained. If you are going to edinburgh on business this has to be the number one choice as i find it to be flawless in every way.

Room Tip: rooms to the front have nice views of princes street
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business