“Absolute luxury”

The Balmoral Hotel
Ranked #9 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
“Absolute luxury”
Reviewed 15 July 2012

We stayed in the Balmoral for 2 nights for Simon's 30th. Everything was perfect. We had a champagne soirée in the Palm Court Bar where the Harpist played happy birthday and the staff brought out strawberries. This was a surprise to both of us. We also had the cocktail tasting menu at the Balmoral Bar which was so novel! The staff here are attentive, enthusiastic and make you feel like nothing is too much trouble. From our bath ritual to our breakfasts in bed-eveything was perfect!

• Stayed July 2012
balmoraledinburgh, General Manager at The Balmoral Hotel, responded to this review, 18 July 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the trouble to write following your visit to The Balmoral for a 30th birthday celebration.

We are delighted that our team helped to create a perfect and memorable experience for such a special occasion in Palm Court with its beautiful setting and soothing harpist playing in the background and our stylish, relaxing Balmoral Bar with its wide selection of cocktails.

Thank you once again for your generous comments and we hope you will return soon to The Balmoral for another memorable experience.

Franck X Arnold

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (642)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Jeddah
Reviewed 15 July 2012

I am usually picky when it comes to choosing a hotel for my stay, and I take it very seriously.

This place has managed to impress me from day 1. I have stayed here for a week. They had great attention to detail. (one tiny negative: They were a bit too worried about cleaning, that they would throw away my bottle of water before its finished, until I asked them no to).

The hotel is located in a marvelous area, between a bridge, the royal garden, and many many shops around.

The breakfast was DELICIOUS and varied kinds were served. Room service wasn't the 100% delicious, was a bit less.

The spa was VERY impressive as well, discrete, professional, precise, and PAMPERING!

WILL DEFINITELY go there again next time I pass by Edinburgh <3

Room Tip: Better to choose a room with a view, as the views at the rooms at the back are blocked by other buil...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank madihakhayat
Dear Guest

I was delighted to read your positive impressions following your one week stay at The Balmoral.

We are inspired to maintain a high level of service and attention to detail and appreciate such positive feedback from our valued guests.

As you indicated, The Balmoral's prime location provides guests with a plethora of sight-seeing activites and attractions, as well as shopping whilst admiring the beautiful views of the castle and stunning architecture of the city. I was also pleased to learn that you enjoyed The Balmoral Spa which is a sanctuary of escapism for those looking for a relaxing retreat within the heart of Edinburgh.

We are delighted that you will definitely stay with us again when visiting Edinburgh and we very much look forward to your return.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 13 July 2012

My husband and I spent the first 3 nights of our UK/Ireland trip at the Balmoral. The building is beautiful and in a wonderful location (you have to ignore the construction). From the minute we arrived, we were treated like royalty-every staff member called us by name. The service is impeccable! The food is excellent-splurge and have dinner at Number One-I promise it will be unforgettable! It was one of the highlights of our 3 week trip. We also had dinner at Hadrian's, which was delicious too. Breakfast was a mixture of hot and cold buffet foods, which were all tasty. It was very busy every morning, but the staff seemed to handle things well. My only disappointment was the room. We were put on a high floor-the 6th floor, which I requested and it was acknowledged-fantastic I thought. Upon entering the room, I was truly disappointed. The room was extremely small and bare. There was hardly enough room for 2 suitcases on the floor and to walk around. The furnishings were OK-2 small chairs and a desk. The bathroom was nice though (seemed refurbished when the room wasn't), it had a large tub/shower, sink and toilet area. The only reason I didn't request another room, was that we had a beautiful view of the castle, which I'm assuming was an upgrade. Hated the room, but loved the view of the castle. I do have to say that we slept soundly and the construction on Princes Street didn't bother us at all. If I stay at The Balmoral again, I will spend the $ for a higher category of room. But overall, I did enjoy my stay-just be prepared to spend some $!

Room Tip: I recommend a high floor with a view of the castle. Splurge for a higher category of room, the Exec...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jennifer L
Dear Guest

Thank you most sincerely for taking the time to provide your feedback following a 3 night stay at The Balmoral.

I have shared your generous comments with my colleagues who assisted you throughout your stay with impeccable service which we continuously aim to provide for our guests.

We are also delighted that you enjoyed your dining experience in our number one, Michelin Star restaurant with its reputation for world-class cuisine and our stylish Hadrian's Brasserie which provides a mix of Scottish and international dishes.

I was disappointed, however, that your guest room did not meet your expectations in size, although you did enjoy the stunning views of Edinburgh Castle. Please do contact me directly on the occasion of your next visit to The Balmoral in order that I can personally arrange a larger room to suit your requirements.

Thank you once again for your positive comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to Edinburgh and The Balmoral in the future.

Bluffton, South Carolina
Reviewed 11 July 2012

Stayed at the Balmoral during a 3 day stop in Edinburgh. Excellent location within walking distance of restaurants, sites, and castle. The building is stately and historical. You are greeted by a doorman in a kilt as you enter.

Stayed in a junior suite - the room was huge - walk in closet to keep luggage out of the way, a nice sitting area and beautifully appointed bedroom and bathroom. I was a little disappointed with the bed.... not as comfortable as I would expect. But overall, I was very happy with the accommodation.

The concierge and front desk was friendly and helpful and we were happy with the breakfast each morning in Hadrians Brasserie. I was not impressed with the small bites we had at the Balmoral Bar...the cocktail list was extensive but the food was not great and I felt like they were understaffed as things took quite a while.

Overall a wonderful stay with family - would recommend this hotel for a stay in Edinburgh if you are ok with a little splurge in price. Note there is a ton of construction going on nearby and I believe it is long term. Some roads are torn up to build a city tram.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank AP_Phoenix
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Our stay here was fabulous. The hotel is charming and updated, very accommodating towards families with young children, comfortable beds with lovely fluffy down duvets and centrally located for all the sights of Edinburgh. The bar is wonderful. I've recommended this hotel to everyone I know who visits Edinburgh. Three friends have stayed and also enjoyed their stay. Can't wait to stay again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Galveston, Texas
Reviewed 10 July 2012

the balmoral hotel in edinburgh scotland is indeed a treat! my friend and i book this hotel, well in advance and it was worth it! This hotel is pure luxury not an economy location. the staff was impeccable; the facility was beyond our expectations. it was all luxury all the time! the hotel restaurants and bar remembered our names every day. we had high tea in the lobby palm court on our last day. an experience to remember! i would go back again and again. THe Rocco Forte Family of hotels really knows how to treat a guest!

Room Tip: all rooms are appointed luxury. choose a southern or northern exposure. located in the heart of do...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Surfers Paradise, Australia
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Im sorry to say that this did not live up to my expectations, for the price we paid. Staff were great, food was good but the rooms were ordinary....Good location i guess.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends