“Family celebration”
Review of The Balmoral Hotel

The Balmoral Hotel
Ranked #12 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 5 November 2012

What a lovely hotel. The staff were extremely helpful. I had trouble with a floral/gift delivery from an external company for my daughters birthday and the staff went over and above their call of duty to help me resolve it even although the problem was not caused by them.

The spa was fantastic, the treatment could not have been bettered and the therapist make me feel relaxed from the outset and was very knowledgable on products. One little gripe - the sound proofing not good in treatment room and could hear talking from neighbouring room but the therapist turned the background music up a little and that helped.

The bedrooms were nice and very clean with all the little extras - nice products, hair dryer, clothes brush etc. There is a turndown service at night. The bedside lamps a little bright if one person wants to sleep whilst the other reads - -maybe not it all rooms. No kettle in room.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
balmoraledinburgh, General Manager at The Balmoral Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing The Balmoral to celebrate your daughter's birthday and I am delighted that you enjoyed a memorable family celebration with us.

I am also pleased to learn that your Spa experience exceeded your expectations and I have shared this with our Spa team. I am also pleased that our staff stepped in to help you resolve a problem you experienced with an external company regarding a floral gift delivery.

I have taken note of your comment with regard to the bedside lamp being a little bright and when you decide to visit The Balmoral again please let me know as I will arrange for tea and coffee making facilities to be placed in your guest room.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Yours sincerely

Franck X. Arnold

There are newer reviews for The Balmoral Hotel

Reviewed 5 November 2012

Just back from a two night weekend break here. Hotel is a beautiful building with old world charm and grand decor with modern twists which myself and partner thought was beautiful. Our room (610) had a great view of the castle and the scott monument mixed with the bustle of princess street and we liked the layout as it wasnt overly cluttered with furniture. All staff came across as professional, polite and happy which creates a nice ambience. Special mention to housekeeping for always cleaning up perfectly as we can be a bit "messy" so whoever looked after our room ,thankyou.I will stay here again without hesitation and thoroughly recommend it.

Room Tip: We stayed in an executive room but I e-mailed beforehand and requested a view which I find usually w...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 November 2012

In my opinion, The Balmoral is the best hotel in Edinburgh. It is locatec within the walking distance of all majors sights and shopping centre. The hotel building itself is stunning. Very friendly and professional staff. Great restaurants, fast and efficient room service, very good spa. At the same time, very reasonably prices compared to other hktels in tne same cathegory. Simply perfect hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 November 2012

Well situated on Princess street. However only one restaurant that we were aware of and a very unwelcome attitude in the one and only bar, where we were only able to be served if sitting at a table and could not be served at the bar itself. We went across the road to a very friendly and pleasant bar. Children were not permitted in the bar which was unfortunate as we had three children in our wedding party, There was no area where we could be served and be with our children. Reception took nearly 20 minutes to sort out a room mix up which is totally unacceptable in a 5 star hotel. Car parking is extortionate at £27 per night.
One of the more pleasant aspects was the attention and service from all the concierge, they were most helpful and couldn't do enough, but bar staff need retrained in manners.

Room Tip: all very good but rooms on the upper levels are quieter as there is quite a lot of traffic noise an...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Mike P
Reviewed 2 November 2012 via mobile

From the greeting on arrival to the spa to housekeeping to breakfast - all utterly outstanding; even the kettle provided on the tea and coffee tray had been pre-boiled for us!
Slippers and water waiting at your bedside following turndown - no one failed to ensure that we had a sublime experience.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed 1 November 2012

Stayed for one night in the hotel on 8th October for business what an amazing hotel! It is true what they say it isn't the hotel it is the people which makes an amazing hotel. The bar staff, bar manager, concierge,housekeeping, and breakfast waiter are fantastic. We had a few drinks in the hotel after dinner one bartender was in particular amazing. He really is an asset to the hotel I felt I had went for a drink with a friend. In the morning I had a bit of a cold the breakfast waiter really took care of me. The only down side I checked out with a fairly large bill and they forgot to charge my breakfast they then sent it to my home address and never put a stamp on the envelope cost me £2 to collect a bill ! Other than that thank you for a lovely stay. Amazing view

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 November 2012

My husband and I traveled to Edinburgh by train from London and stayed at The Balmoral as part of our vacation. The hotel was right next to the train station, the major shopping district and within walking distance to the castle and everything else we wanted to do and see. The hotel exterior is old and beautiful, and the interior is elegant and lovely. The staff was wonderful and the food was fantastic! Our room was the most comfortable with a fabulous view (try to get a high floor) and the cleanest (I mean SPOTLESS) of all the places we stayed on this particular trip. Our room also had a HUGE bath tub :) This was an fabulous stay and highly recommend this hotel to anyone - one of the best and worth the money!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple