“So helpful”
Review of The Balmoral Hotel

The Balmoral Hotel
Ranked #14 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 11 August 2013

On my arrival to the hotel I was made to feel like a vip. I had my bags taken to the room for me and there was so many helpful people there to greet me. When I wanted to go out for dinner I was pleased to know that there was a babysitting service that I could use. I met a lovely lady called catriona who knew what she was doing and put my mind at ease. Such a lovely place and I would recommend it to all my friends.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank whistleblower2013

Reviewed 10 August 2013

My husband and I had the pleasure of staying at the legendary Balmoral for a week this past July. The service was beyond compare. Every staff member we came into contact was pleasant and helpful. The executive king room was perfect! We were in room 453, an interior room which afforded us a respite from the busy streets and trains nearby. We learned from other hotel visitors that the rooms with views were much noisier. Rooms were serviced twice daily. The lobby is stunning with a beautiful display of fresh flowers changed regularly. The Scottish breakfast buffet is delicious and worth every penny. If you're adventurous, try the black pudding. If you want something a little tamer, the Bircher muesli with fresh berries is fabulous! (How I wish I had asked the chef for the recipe!). There is absolutely nothing that would have made our visit there more enjoyable. If you're in Edinburgh, The Balmoral is the place to stay!

2  Thank Tina C
balmoraledinburgh, General Manager at The Balmoral Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at The Balmoral during your recent visit to Edinburgh. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed a memorable experience, appreciating the tranquility offered when stepping in from the bustling streets outside. I am also pleased that you enjoyed our Scottish breakfast, which is extremely popular with our guests and is the perfect way to prepare yourself for a day exploring our beautiful capital city.

We hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

Yours sincerely

Franck X Arnold

Reviewed 9 August 2013

My review is based on a very quick, unplanned fleeting visit to The Balmoral in Edinburgh. It all happened very quickly- I was on the last inbound King's Cross train into Waverley Station, and due to earlier delays I had missed my connection, meaning that I was now forced to spend the night in Edinburgh. I telephoned The Balmoral Hotel to see if they had any rooms available, and indeed they did. Not only is this an Edinburgh landmark and the city's grandest hotel, but the location right outside the exit of Waverley Station at the heart of the capital made it very convenient, and only a short distance away. As such, I walked, baggage in hand, out of Waverley Station and to the doorstep of The Balmoral, arriving at quite an ungodly hour, well past midnight.

Upon arrival I was greeted by a receptionist, who proceeded to arrange a room for the night. I also asked for a timetable of the next days early morning trains, in order to know at what time I should wake up- this was promptly slid underneath my door soon after I had been escorted up. The hotel's decor was fantastic, and very evocative of the general feel that Rocco Forte hotels tries to achieve. While they have faced much criticism for their refurbishment of Brown's Hotel in London, with the consensus generally being that mixing both modern and old has created a bipolar atmosphere in the hotel, The Balmoral seems to have escaped that fate, with the grand feel of the hotel still very much in tact, with just the right amount of modernity to ensure convenience. The room itself was rather large, with a stunning view across to The Balmoral's old nemesis, the The Scotsman, a comfortable Queen bed, a separate dressing room, and toilet with both a shower and separate bathtub. All in all, what I'd consider very comfortable for a 7 day stay, never mind the 7 or so hours I actually was there.

I did get some room service for dinner, and while unremarkable, there was nothing wrong with the food- it was cooked well, and tasted well. Upon being awoken in the morning, I instructed the reception to finalise check out prior to me coming down, as that would ensure I can get maximum sleep as well as not miss my train- this was all handled well as I spent less than a minute in the grand lobby prior to returning to Waverley station and being whisked off to where I was due for an exam a mere three hours later.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank malioil
Reviewed 7 August 2013

It's an institution in Edinburgh. We stay every year during the fringe season, the staff are attentive, the rooms are comfortable, and the breakfast is great- ample selection of all kind of food.
Of course it's not inexpensive but it's a treat.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2013

Just had an excellent stay at the Balmoral hotel whilst visiting the tattoo. All members of staff were very professional and friendly, always a smile. Facilities in room excellent. Enjoyed afternoon tea in Palm court and again service perfect. We got all the goodies we could not manage to eat packed in a wee box to take back to our room for later. The spa was lovely and relaxing and well worth bringing you swimwear. This is an amazing hotel with staff that really go the extra mile to make your visit special. My mum recieved a lovely plate of happy birthday sweets in our room which made it even more special. A truly wonderful experience. Well worth a visit.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
balmoraledinburgh, General Manager at The Balmoral Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the trouble to write such a generous review following your recent visit to Edinburgh and The Balmoral. I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed your experience and it will be a pleasure to share your kind words with my colleagues throughout the hotel who looked after you and your mum during your stay.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Yours sincerely

Franck X Arnold

Reviewed 5 August 2013

My wife and I stayed at the The Balmoral to celebrate our anniversary and can safely say that it is the best hotel we have ever visited. The staff were exceptionally polite, professional and attentive. They anticipated our needs and were always on hand without being intrusive. When I booked the room I had told them that we celebrating our anniversary there and they really made an effort to make us feel special from the amazing room they put us in to the happy anniversary messages they left both in our room and written in chocolate on the top plate of our delicious afternoon tea, their attention to detail really showed how seriously they take customer service. I could go on and on about how brilliant our stay was but simply put the hotel and the staff are a credit to their industry and we will certainly visit again.

3  Thank Stuart W
Reviewed 4 August 2013

This was the first hotel we stayed at in Scotland and our favorite. Room beautiful and good size so we did not feel cramped. Bathroom beautiful. We had a car with us and the valet's/concierege parked our car for us as it is a 15 minute walk. The cost is 25 pounds/day so costly but not their problem. Always people at front desk and concierege all the time. Beautiful flowers in lobby during day and different at night with candles lit. We went to the spa for a massage and wish we had gone sooner as the pool is beautiful and included without having to use spa services.
We loved it. Robe in room as well as slippers.

2  Thank Peter-Janice