“Outstanding service”

Ranked #10 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
Bristol
“Outstanding service”
Reviewed 17 August 2013

I stayed at the Balmoral on a recent visit to the Fringe Festival. We were a party of four, then three, and we were out most of the time at shows. The Balmoral is in an ideal position for such a trip, the food is excellent, the rooms immaculate and very comfortable. More than anything, though, it was the friendliness, attentiveness, and unaffected courtesy of all the staff that I'll remember.

One of our party left her wallet in the safe in her room and only realised on the way to the airport. She was alarmed - but she needn't have worried - the wallet was by that time already in the hotel safe and soon after, it was on its way to her by Fedex. People working at the Balmoral go the extra mile and as far a I could tell, nothing fazes them.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (651)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed 13 August 2013

I recently made a stop to the bar in the Balmoral hotel on a recently trip to Edinburgh for the w end and all I can say is that it was top class. The service was 100% attentive by all the staff, it was a real treat being waited on with table service and being serviced up nibbles!! The cocktails are definitely worth a try. Keep up the good work guys.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2013

We stayed here during the Edinburgh Festival. The prices were suitably inflated for the Festival, but there again, so are the Premier Inns and Novotels in town.

The service is superb, the beds comfortable and the staff unwaveringly pleasant. I thought it may be stuffy, but you can wander around this in the combination of shorts and cagoule (best Fest dress) and not be out of place.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank James B
Reviewed 11 August 2013 via mobile

My wife and I just returned home after a wonderful stay at the Balmoral. This is the first review I felt compelled to write because of the wonderful experience. I would give them ten stars if possible. It all started when we arrived at the hotel and the door men helped us with our vehicle. They went the extra mile to assist us in getting settled after a harrowing drive into Edinburgh during the festivals. We arrived early and were given an early check in. To top it off we were upgraded to a suite with a view of Edinburgh Castle. It was nothing short of spectacular to see the fireworks over the castle on our first evening. We took a road trip one day to Stirling and St. Andrews. The concierge team was exceptional in providing directions, suggested restaurants and places to see. To top it all off they were able to obtain tickets for us to the sold out Royal Edinburgh Tattoo. My wife and I have stayed at some of the best hotels around the world, such as Villa La Masa and the Inn on Spanish Bay, and we would include the Balmoral at the top of our list. We will definitely return one day with the rest our family.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank John S
balmoraledinburgh, General Manager at The Balmoral Hotel, responded to this review, 15 August 2013
Dear Guest,

I am delighted to learn that you felt compelled to write such a wonderful review following your recent stay at The Balmoral and would like to thank you for sharing your impressions. We pride ourselves on our warm Scottish hospitality and I am pleased to read that my colleagues at the concierge enhanced your overall experience with their knowledge and resourcefulness. The Edinburgh Tattoo is often the highlight for many visitors during the Festival period so I am glad to learn that you were able to experience this amazing spectacle first hand.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back in the future.

Yours sincerely

Franck X Arnold
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2013

On my arrival to the hotel I was made to feel like a vip. I had my bags taken to the room for me and there was so many helpful people there to greet me. When I wanted to go out for dinner I was pleased to know that there was a babysitting service that I could use. I met a lovely lady called catriona who knew what she was doing and put my mind at ease. Such a lovely place and I would recommend it to all my friends.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank whistleblower2013
Shepherdstown, West Virginia
Reviewed 10 August 2013 via mobile

My husband and I had the pleasure of staying at the legendary Balmoral for a week this past July. The service was beyond compare. Every staff member we came into contact was pleasant and helpful. The executive king room was perfect! We were in room 453, an interior room which afforded us a respite from the busy streets and trains nearby. We learned from other hotel visitors that the rooms with views were much noisier. Rooms were serviced twice daily. The lobby is stunning with a beautiful display of fresh flowers changed regularly. The Scottish breakfast buffet is delicious and worth every penny. If you're adventurous, try the black pudding. If you want something a little tamer, the Bircher muesli with fresh berries is fabulous! (How I wish I had asked the chef for the recipe!). There is absolutely nothing that would have made our visit there more enjoyable. If you're in Edinburgh, The Balmoral is the place to stay!

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tina C
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at The Balmoral during your recent visit to Edinburgh. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed a memorable experience, appreciating the tranquility offered when stepping in from the bustling streets outside. I am also pleased that you enjoyed our Scottish breakfast, which is extremely popular with our guests and is the perfect way to prepare yourself for a day exploring our beautiful capital city.

We hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

Yours sincerely

Franck X Arnold
Manama, Bahrain
Reviewed 9 August 2013

My review is based on a very quick, unplanned fleeting visit to The Balmoral in Edinburgh. It all happened very quickly- I was on the last inbound King's Cross train into Waverley Station, and due to earlier delays I had missed my connection, meaning that I was now forced to spend the night in Edinburgh. I telephoned The Balmoral Hotel to see if they had any rooms available, and indeed they did. Not only is this an Edinburgh landmark and the city's grandest hotel, but the location right outside the exit of Waverley Station at the heart of the capital made it very convenient, and only a short distance away. As such, I walked, baggage in hand, out of Waverley Station and to the doorstep of The Balmoral, arriving at quite an ungodly hour, well past midnight.

Upon arrival I was greeted by a receptionist, who proceeded to arrange a room for the night. I also asked for a timetable of the next days early morning trains, in order to know at what time I should wake up- this was promptly slid underneath my door soon after I had been escorted up. The hotel's decor was fantastic, and very evocative of the general feel that Rocco Forte hotels tries to achieve. While they have faced much criticism for their refurbishment of Brown's Hotel in London, with the consensus generally being that mixing both modern and old has created a bipolar atmosphere in the hotel, The Balmoral seems to have escaped that fate, with the grand feel of the hotel still very much in tact, with just the right amount of modernity to ensure convenience. The room itself was rather large, with a stunning view across to The Balmoral's old nemesis, the The Scotsman, a comfortable Queen bed, a separate dressing room, and toilet with both a shower and separate bathtub. All in all, what I'd consider very comfortable for a 7 day stay, never mind the 7 or so hours I actually was there.

I did get some room service for dinner, and while unremarkable, there was nothing wrong with the food- it was cooked well, and tasted well. Upon being awoken in the morning, I instructed the reception to finalise check out prior to me coming down, as that would ensure I can get maximum sleep as well as not miss my train- this was all handled well as I spent less than a minute in the grand lobby prior to returning to Waverley station and being whisked off to where I was due for an exam a mere three hours later.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo