“Truly classic 5 star+ hotel.”
Review of The Balmoral Hotel

The Balmoral Hotel
Ranked #14 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 25 August 2013

We stayed at the Balmoral for one night prior to our flight back to the states. It was absolutely awesome. We requested a suite with a view of the castle and we were lucky to get it. Great hotel whether its for one night or many.

Room Tip: Suite with a view of the castle.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Will H

Reviewed 25 August 2013

This is our third visit to the Balmoral. It's a lovely hotel, our room is great again, the magic unfolding breakfast table in the room was great as always. But the big downside is the delay we had to get into our room. Checkin is supposed to be from 3pm onwards. We drove up shortly after then. Our room was not available until nearly 5pm. Initially we were happy to wait in the bar, but it was rather noisy, and smoke was drifting in from outside on a hot day, making it increasingly unpleasant. After a long journey down we just wanted to check into our room, unpack, freshen up, and get ready for our pre booked dinner. The same thing happened to us a year ago. Then we were given a complimentary Balmoral teddy bear as apology for the room delay. This year we got free alcoholic drinks for our dinner the first night. But I think the hotel needs to sort this out. Yes it is a busy time of the year, with the festival, but it's predictable, and guests should not have to wait nearly two hours for their room. It is a shame, because in every other respect the hotel is quite superb.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Vivienne D
balmoraledinburgh, General Manager at The Balmoral Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the trouble to write a review following your most recent stay with us at The Balmoral. I was pleased to learn that you enjoyed many aspects of your stay, from the room itself to our renowned Scottish breakfast. However, I regret the delay you encountered upon arrival and would like to offer my personal apologies for the inconvenienced this caused. August is extremely busy for us, with many of our guests staying for leisure purposes and often choosing to vacate their rooms at the latest possible time. This does put additional pressure on the team but I agree this should not impact on our arriving guests and I will be working with my management team to find a resolution to avoid similar occurrences in the future.
I sincerely hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future and would ask that you feel free to contact me directly if I can be of any assistance in making your arrangements.

Yours sincerely

Franck X Arnold

Reviewed 23 August 2013

I had heard a lot of The Balmoral Hotel in downtown Edinburgh, but it did exceed my expectations. The hotel is a classic Europen historical establishment that id full of class and elegence. They've done a wonderful job of maintaing the original beauty, with new amentities and services we've come to expect.
Large rooms, great resturants and right in the middle of Edinburgh. A quick walk to the Royal Mile and you've got so much right there.
I would definately stay there again

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Clark W
Reviewed 23 August 2013

We stayed again at the Balmoral dor the Festival. Checking in I was surprised and disappointed to be given a room with an inside view ( not what I expect for £455 a night), but after I complained were were given a lovely room (616) with a view of Princes St and the Castle). Sitting in the window seat looking out at all the activity below was a heady experience and one i can recommend.

We had breakfast a couple of times and supper once in Hadrians Brasserie and it was fine, though my wife's haddock was not very well prepared.

Minor niggles - they need to simply offer every guest free high speed reliable broadband. Because we had booked online we got free broadband but it was low speded and not terribly reliable.
And the water in the pool needs to be a bit warmer.

But we had a great holiday ( the staff are virtually all excellent by the way) and will be returning.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SimonMcG1
Reviewed 21 August 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights as part of our 17 day stay. I will say that the hotel is lovely, we got a beautiful room. I really liked the room, the bathroom was a bit small but very functional and overall ok.

The bigger problem is that the bar at the hotel, the service is slow, no entertainment whatsoever even though it is their busiest time of the year with festival season, the scotch bar was empty most evenings and is very tiny with little to no ambiance in our opinion. The layout of the bar is little odd too. I was just bored at the hotel wishing the bar would have had some kind of piano music or some bit of entertainment after dinner.

The concierges I felt some were a little overwhelmed because of the hotel being fully booked. Although a couple of concierges did do a great job so I can't say all.

Overall it's a nice hotel, with decent service and lives up to the Amex Fine Hotel and Resort program who we booked through.

Johnny the doorman was great, he met us and helped us with our luggage from the train station.

Room Tip: I had room 652 which was amazing, corner room not to far from elevator as well
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Misssweater
balmoraledinburgh, General Manager at The Balmoral Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the trouble to share your impressions following your recent stay with us at The Balmoral. I was delighted to read that you were so impressed with the room allocated for your stay and that you enjoyed the additional benefits of your Amex Fine Hotels program.

Our new whisky bar, Scotch, opened just last week and has been designed to offer an area where our guests can enjoy a quiet dram. It is unfortunate that you did not have the opportunity to visit our Balmoral Bar, which typically offers a lively atmosphere and may have better suited your preferences.

Our concierge experience very high levels of demand during the busy festival period. I regret that the high levels of service offered by some of the team was not consistent throughout your stay and will certainly look at how this can be addressed in the future.

Thank you again for sharing your impressions on Tripadvisor. Given your positive impressions overall I sincerely hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

Yours sincerely

Franck X Arnold

Reviewed 20 August 2013

This hotel is idea for a break on a weekend if you fancy a treat. The staff are welcoming, kind and caring. The rooms are of impeccable standard and very beautiful with lots of nice furnishings. The spa is very swish , relaxing and luxurious. I had a lot of treatments here and was addicted. Enjoy the luxury. Food was also excellent. Good location this hotel too. This hotel has it all, style, luxury and cleanliness.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Barbara D
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We stayed here with my whole family and we indulged in all the facilities of the hotel. We where very well pleased with the concierge services. A tip to others: they can fix tickets to different venues, ask them and skip the queues. There is an own lift down to the spa, just put on the slippers... Breakfest was nice and the staff made even something not on the menu just to please our children. Only minor negative feedback is that it was a little bit too much noise from the hallway outside the room when someone talked or walked outside the door. Also the entrance in to the checkin was a little less grand for a 5 star hotel than perhaps expected.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near or in the J K Rowling room, cool little tip.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family