“Afternoon tea”
Review of The Balmoral Hotel

The Balmoral Hotel
Ranked #12 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 15 November 2013

A group of 7 ladies we met up for a pre-Christmas treat. It was exactly that. Having been recently diagnosed coeliac I was a little wary of what I would be given to eat. (We informed them of my requirements at the time of booking). I had absolutely no need to worry, I had the most delicious open sandwiches (gluten free), the only thing that would have made them better for me would have been a bit of butter! The scones again gluten free looked nicer then the regular ones and tasted wonderful. I lost track of how many different pots of tea were brought to our table. A great tasting experience! many thanks to Joana our waitress.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (3,959)

Reviewed 14 November 2013

We got a last minute booking so the room was small, but for 2 of us it was perfect.
High standard of cleanliness, very comfortable beds and ample bedding/storage - everything you need and exactly what you would expect of such a highly recommended hotel.

The building is stunning, inside and out - one of those old-fashioned but well maintained and updated diamonds of Britain.

Valet car service was a nice touch, since parking in Edinburgh is stressful!

The location is superb - on the quiet end of Princes St so incredibly central, with the castle just a short up-hill walk to the rear and all the bars, spas and excellent shops of George St a few minute's walk away.

A must-do if you are in Edinburgh.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 November 2013

As a real treat for ourselves + our son & his partner, we booked a 2 night stay here in this 5* Rocco Forte flagship hotel. Yes it is NICE yes it is EXPENSIVE yes the food is GOOD yes the service is acceptable & the rooms adequately (but not exceptionally for a 5*) decorated & furnished BUT why oh why is it necessary to charge £15.oo/day for internet access? even McDonalds provide it FREE!! and why, instead of having coffee & tea making facilities in the room is it necessary to have to call room service (at a charge of £5.oo) to have the tray delivered? & even then there are NO biscuits (biscuits are charged extra!!) For us it is the little things that matter & a personal touch, ESPECIALLY at these prices in a 5* establishment. All in all a pleasant but not uplifting experience.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank itfcglenn
balmoraledinburgh, General Manager at The Balmoral Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the trouble to review your recent stay with us at The Balmoral. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed many aspects of your stay but regret that you were disappointed with some of the charges for our in room amenities.
I am delighted to advise you that following a review of our internet provision, all Rocco Forte Hotels now offer complimentary access. As you had made your reservation directly with the hotel using our online booking facility, you were in fact entitled to complimentary internet during your stay. I can see that the charge was adjusted for one of your rooms but regrettably an oversight meant that the charge on the second room remained. This has now been refunded to the card used to settle your bill on departure and I would like to offer my sincere apologies for this error.
Tea and coffee making facilities are provided free of charge upon request. Having reviewed your bill, I could not see a tray charge. However, should you believe that you have been incorrectly charged for this service, please do contact me directly so that I can investigate this. Furthermore, we have now updated our records to ensure a tea tray is placed in your room prior to arrival for any future stays.
I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Balmoral in the future.

Yours sincerely

Franck X Arnold

Reviewed 12 November 2013

My mum and I went to the Balmoral Hotel for afternoon tea following a recommendation from a friend and we couldn't have chosen a better location.
From the greeting at the front door to the Palm Court room where afternoon tea is served to the service given by every member of staff we encountered, the attention to detail never ended.
The food was delicious and although, when it was first delivered I was concerned that I was going to be hungry later on (we had afternoon tea before an evening show at the nearby theatre) I needn't have been and couldn't finish my second scone despite trying my best!
The choice of tea was extensive and there were even options for me who doesn't like tea or coffee.
The Palm Court room was beautifully decorated and we had a prime people watching seat in the centre at the side. The staff were friendly, knowledgeable and eager to please.
Not the cheapest of Afternoon Teas but worth every penny - booking is essential too.
Make sure you visit the toilet too - beautiful sinks and lovely scented soap!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Service - Superb standard of service.

Value - Not cheap, but worth it for the quality/location.

Sleep Quality - Perfect night's sleep on a very comfy bed.

Cleanliness - Nothing to complain about.

Location - Amazing. Right at the east end of Edinburgh's central street, with great views.

Rooms - Large and lovely, but a touch dated.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

This was our second stay and equally as good as the first. A very warm welcome from the staff who remembered us, which was lovely as almost a year since our last visit.
Our room was beautiful but as it was at the front of the hotel on Princes St., only downside was the traffic noise (and before Olga Polizzi can say 'you're in a city, what do you expect' I've stayed in a hotel on 5th Avenue, New York and could hear nothing)
I assume it's a listed building. Perhaps they could supply ear plugs :0)
Apart from that, there is nothing to fault the hotel. The staff are brilliant, the food is excellent. All round service is perfect. We will be returning in the NewYear.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 10 November 2013

We stayed at the Balmoral for one night and we were very impressed by the service we received and the standard of the rooms. We stayed in a king delux room which had a small lounge area and a large bathroom. Bed was superb and very comfy. Staff were always polite and consistently showed outstanding customer service. Breakfast was also very good and staff were very attentive. The location is ideal as it is next to the train station and within walking distance to many good bars and restaurants as well as the theatre. We would definitely stay again on our next trip to Edinburgh.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple