The Balmoral Hotel
Ibis Edinburgh Centre Royal Mile(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$193
US$180
  • Bar/Lounge
Ibis Edinburgh Centre South Bridge(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$251
The Scotsman Hotel(Edinburgh)
US$231
US$176
  • Room Service
Cairn Hotel Edinburgh(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$143
US$108
  • Bar/Lounge
Holiday Inn Edinburgh(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$98
US$95
4,105 results
All reviewsthe palm courthadrian's brasseriescotch barrocco fortemarble bathroomsean conneryconcierge stafftrain stationbeautiful hotelturn down serviceluxury hotelprinces streetbirthday treatedinburgh castlecastle viewroyal milespa
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 November 2013

The whole trip to Edinburgh started out as something of an afterthought. We were heading to London to attend a family event and thought it would be interesting to add on a brief stay in Edinburgh, someplace my wife and I had heard great things about but never been. As soon as we arrived at the Balmoral we knew we had made a great decision. The hotel is old-school elegance combined with all the modern conveniences. The staff is wonderful, the rooms extremely comfortable, the location perfect. Everything we wanted to do and see was within an easy walk. Some of those outings ended back at the Balmoral to enjoy afternoon tea (incredible pastries) or the Scotch bar. This afterthought turned out to be the highlight of our trip. Three nights was not enough.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the castle.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 November 2013

The hotel staff called us around three days before our arrival and asked if we would like to be picked up from the airport. We asked specifically how much this service cost and she explicitly stated it was free. So we agreed to be picked up.
When we checked out we were charged with 100 GBP for airport pickup service. We made a complaint at the reception and they said they would look into it. Meanwhile we still had to pay that 100 GBP. The staff called us back one day later and said that the lady who booked the airport pickup service said she had never mentioned the service was free. We disagreed and asked them to verify again. However, we waited for several days and nobody had ever called us back, so we needed to email the General Manager, who then followed up and offered us a 100 GBP discount for our next stay.
This is rather disappointing. I would not expect a five-star hotel to treat their customers this way. Perhaps we may give it another try and use our coupon next time, but I doubt our experience would be any better. Additionally, the breakfast was rather plain and not five-star quality. I've stayed in five star hotels before and had much better breakfast.
Positive sides: good, central location, nice and clean room

Room Tip: Always ask for a written confirmation on what the hotel staff says. After our incident, we do not know if we could trust them next time.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Mai P
balmoraledinburgh, General Manager at The Balmoral Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the trouble to review the hotel and for highlighting the positive aspects of your stay such as the location, cleanliness and quality of the rooms. I am sorry to learn that you remain disappointed with our attempts to resolve the perceived miscommunication regarding your airport transfer. This is the first time that I have encountered this scenario and my investigations following our conversation found that our reservation team were well informed about the charges for this service. The offer of a credit was made as a gesture of goodwill and I do hope that you will take the opportunity to use this on a future stay with us so that we might be able to change your impressions of The Balmoral.

If I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me personally at the hotel.

Yours sincerely

Franck X Arnold

Reviewed 18 November 2013

Stayed here for two nights after staying at the best in London and must say this is definitely a step or three below. Felt more like chain of hotel that is not positioned to compete with the top end hotels in Europe. Rooms are comfortable but sparse; beds adequate but not great; concierge adequate but not great....sent us to restaurant that we left without eating because of unpleasant odor that took away our appetites ...

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Spoek2
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We decided last minute to have a wee treat and book a night in Edinburgh as my partner was at the Rugby on Sunday.

I toyed backwards and forwards as to wether I should pay to stay at the Balmoral (bearing in mind we live in Glasgow, so are fairly regular visitors to Edinburgh, ie. it wasnt a special trip)

There was one room left so I just went for it and I'm glad I did. Everything about it felt like a treat, the rooms were lovely, not huge (basic room) but well maintained and looked like it has had a fresh lick of farrow and ball paint. The bathroom is just fabulous whiote and grey marble with sean connery prints and lots of nice smellies.

Contrary to other reviews there was a coffee tray, and also 24 hours free wifi so for us it was faultless.

There was also a turndown service at night where they leave slippers by your bed on a mat saying good night.

We went out for food to the Dome (xmas decs out of this world) and then went to a few lovely quaint pubs on rose street.

We were then so tired we retired to our room and just enjoyed the view from the window seat!

IN the morning I went to the spa, which I felt was fantastic, hairdryers, toiletries, robes etc provided,

Location is just absolutely perfect, we went out for an early morning walk and beat the crowds which was wonderful.

We cant wait to go back!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your fabulous review of The Balmoral following your recent impromptu visit. It is extremely rewarding for my colleagues and I to receive such fantastic feedback from our guests and it will be a pleasure to share your comments with the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Yours sincerely

Franck X Arnold

Reviewed 17 November 2013

Just experienced afternoon tea at the balmoral hotel, everything was first class, staff couldn't have been any friendlier or more helpful, an experience not to be missed. Food was really excellent and they give you a presentation bag for everything you can't eat.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family