“Great hotel”
Review of The Balmoral Hotel

The Balmoral Hotel
Ranked #13 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Just returned from a long weekend at The Balmoral for my boyfriend's birthday. It really is a beautiful hotel both inside and out and ideally located for all the sights. Our room was amazing, although boiling and a bit noisy as it was at the front of the hotel and there is some major building work going on over the road. Yummy breakfast, friendly staff, thumbs up.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kristy777
balmoraledinburgh, General Manager at The Balmoral Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for reviewing your experience following your recent stay at The Balmoral to celebrate your boyfriend’s birthday. I am delighted that you left with such a favourable impression of the hotel, including the warmth of service, quality of our breakfast, location and the grandeur of our historic building.
I regret to learn that you found the room overly warm and have asked our engineers to check the air conditioning in your room to ensure it is functioning well. I am also sorry that you were disturbed by some external works. Unfortunately this is out with our control; however, the majority of the work is now complete and we would not expect to experience any further significant disruption.
I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

There are newer reviews for The Balmoral Hotel

Reviewed 12 December 2013

This hotel is great for business or travel. The amenities are first class and the restaurants is fabulous. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff on my visit and I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking to stay in the centre of Edinburgh. Great Location.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I suspect that I shall never be able to afford to stay in a hotel where the base room price is £467 (a room with a view of the Edinburgh Castle is around £550) - and this per night, of course. However, I was with a companion whose company gets a special rate and so the price came down to £180. It is a very good hotel and the situation is excellent for seeing the city. It is a lovely building but, for me, the hotel does not capitalise the room we had with appropriate fittings. Just as an example, the wardrobe was of a high IKEA quality and the right hand door did not fully open because it banged up against the auto door closer to the room. I expected an armoire or something with a bit of quality but did not get it. I did like the chaise longue at the foot of the bed which meant you could sit on it and watch tv, for example, and still have for the back the bottom of the bed. Bathroom was great. Breakfast at £25 is over the top for me - and so we only ate once there, an evening meal and it was very good. Staff were very helpful.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Bryan W
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Had Afternoon Tea for 2 At the Balmoral Hotel This Afternoon, with my Partner.

What More Could we say other than It's An Experience we shall Definitely Repeat.
We were Given a Very Warm Welcome Into the Palm Court in the Balmoral, by a Lovely Young Lady From Latvia.
Although the Place was very Busy & we did have a Reservation, we were Quickly shown a choice off 2 Tables for 2.
we chose one right in the Corner close too the Entrance too the Palm Court.
The Surroundings were Beautiful & as Expected it was very Busy! a Very Good Sign.
The Background Music from the Resident Harpist was Wonderful.
then it just got Better!
The Food Arrived, we were offered an Array of tea or Coffee, all served in Copious Amounts, we could have had a Champagne Afternoon Tea, but at £15 a Glass we found that a Little Pricey.
We were Given an Amuse Bouche as a Starter, which was wonderful
Followed by an Array off Sandwiches with Various Fillings, which were all Delightful.
Then Came the Real Treat off the Day
A Selection off Scones, with a selection of preserves & a Large amount of clotted Cream, as if that wasn't enough, we had a selection off cakes as well which were all to die for.
we thought at that stage we were finished but as part off the Afternoon Tea, we were also given a huge piece of Christmas Cake Or as an Alternative a large Piece of Individually Wrapped Nougat.
before departure, we were full to Capacity, it was amazing.
we needn't have finished everything we were given though, as you could have had a box too take away the cakes etc, if you wished.
on departure we were both given a small Tin Containing Balmoral Hotel, loose leaf Tea, a Nice touch,
all in all a wonderful experience that we would recommend to anyone, it would make a Great Gift, for those who have everything, or who are difficult to buy for!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tom K
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Spent a night at the hotel at a cost of £190 and was left underwhelmed. I have no complaints with regards the staff or employees albeit the girl who checked us in could perhaps smile now and again
. We were shown to our room 253 which was a small, dark, room which looked onto the interior section of the hotel thus the lack of light and a view consisting of white brick walls giving the impression of a prison or sanatorium. When asked if everything was in order with the room I said I was a little disappointed whereby the guest relations officer Sandy phoned the room and arranged for us to be moved to a different room 448. This room was a definite improvement however was still not a 5 star room in that it was small, the quality of fit and finishing was mediocre. The bathroom wall had a large yellow stain, one of the seats in the room had obvious staining marks on the cushion. All these things for me take away from the 5 star rating and the cost of £190 for a night. In fairness to Sandy I am sure that had I complained again he may well have moved us again however I didn't feel comfortable in raising the issues again. We were attending a wedding function and found the bar prices reasonable.
The breakfast was very tasty and had a great selection. The staff serving were friendly and attentive.
Prior to leaving we checked out the room allocated to another couple we travelled with room 250 and found that it was larger, brighter and more in keeping with what I would have expected of the hotel. It may well be that we were unlucky in the rooms we were allocated however in a 5 star hotel when I had paid the same price as my friends I would expect all the rooms to be consistent in their quality and size.
This is the first time I have stayed at a Rocco Forte hotel however have stayed in 5 star Fairmont branded hotels several times and the Fairmont room standards are far higher than the Balmorals.

Room Tip: Do not get a room which looks onto the interior side of the hotel. It affords a grim/terrible view a...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alistair M
balmoraledinburgh, General Manager at The Balmoral Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the trouble to share your impressions following your recent stay at The Balmoral. I was pleased to read that you found the staff to be both friendly and attentive and that you were impressed with the quality of our breakfast.
Whilst I am glad to read that my colleagues assisted you when you expressed your preference for an external room, it is most regrettable to learn that the room was not presented to its best standard. I have shared this feedback with our Executive Housekeeper, who joins me in apologising for this shortcoming.
I do hope that in spite of the above, you will consider staying with us in the future so that we might have the opportunity to demonstrate our commitment to offering a luxury experience to all our guests, with a high quality of accommodation as recognised by the high ratings for our rooms and cleanliness typically received from our guests.

Reviewed 7 December 2013

We stayed 1 night at this hotel in hotel at the end of our Scotland roundtrip. We selected this hotel due to its membership of the leading hotels of the world franchise since we are members with them.

The hotel could not be better located just inside the picturesque city centre of Edinburgh. From the station there are escalators going climbing almost right in front of the hotel. Its a big property with every that comes with that: big lobby, extensive public areas etc. But this also means its rather busy and a little noisy. Its definitely more a grand than a boutique hotel. You almost get an atmosphere of a castle or a forteresse with the thick stone walls. Check-in was friendly and efficient with a nice surprise: we were upgraded to a junior suite thanks to my LHW membership.

We were guided to the suite and given a little tour: it was wonderful and all Scottish! High ceilings, dark woods, green colours etc. Just like you would imagine luxury in Scotland. It did feature a little lounge area, hallway that lead into a walk-in dressing room, obviously a king bedroom and a nice bathroom with daylight. Everything in great state!

The hotel does also offer a spa area. It does lack a sense of calmness or luxury and has unfortunately more the charm of a simple swimming pool with some added wellness facilities. Yet still a place one can relax and unwind.

We did not have dinner at the hotel yet we tried the bar. Again; rather big and busy and quiet contemporary. I would have wished for something darker, more Scottish coziness.

Breakfast: same story. Rather busy and full yet great selection and good food!

All together we did enjoy our stay a lot at this hotel and obviously mostly due to our complimentary room upgrade yet I would imagine we would have done so even in the standard rooms. I would absolutely recommend this hotel to any Edinburgh traveller and I would stay here again.

+Location
+Value for money
+Decoration and Rooms
-Fairly busy and noisy

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank byswiss
balmoraledinburgh, General Manager at The Balmoral Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for this great review of your recent stay with us at The Balmoral. I am delighted that we were able to upgrade your accommodation and that you were impressed with the décor and sense of space offered in the junior suite.
Since your stay in June, we have recently opened our whisky bar, Scotch, which I think would fulfil your desire for a cosy and inviting ambience.
I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 7 December 2013

Have just been treated (by our daughter) to a loverly birthday afternoon tea in the Palm Court at the Balmoral Hotel. Staff were very attentive with family presents laid out on our table. Service was excellent as was the afternoon tea. Excellent value in the new Palm Court room. Will be back for more!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple