“Birthday Visit”

Ranked #10 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Kinghorn, United Kingdom
“Birthday Visit”
Reviewed 10 January 2014

Stayed at the Balmoral in December and it was worth every penny. Room lovely, bathroom amazing, pool and spa gorgeous. Special mention to Lisa the therapist and the other staff in the spa who were very brilliant. The hotel is beautiful but its the staff that really make the place, from the receptionist who remembered my husband's name the second time he met him to the staff member who greeted me going down in the lift on Sunday morning, every member of staff we came into contact with was terrific.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (658)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 9 January 2014 via mobile

Visited the balmoral bar for a pre theatre cocktail tasting menu for 2. Each course was perfection. We later returned as a table of 7. The staff were so accommodating and friendly. A special mention to JD, Carolina and a lovely polish gentleman (his name escapes me). The knowledge and passion they showed in their work was very inspiring. They are a credit to Edinburgh's best hotel.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Visited the new Scotch bar in the Balmoral several times with a group of whiskey nutters. We were not dissapointed! With the group we sampled a fair few rare whiskeys, had some good food to go with it and all our questions were answered by our whiskey expert James behind the bar (in kilt of course). Welcoming and fun, and a great place to sample some of the better whiskeys. And ask about their most expensive bottle, the smell alone...

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 January 2014 via mobile

My daughter and I stayed at the hotel for 3 nights from 1 January 2014. Everything about our stay was wonderful. Rachael in reservations had organised which room we were to stay in and she did an amazing job as it was super. We had breakfast in our room every morning which came beautifully prepared on a moveable dining table brought in by a member of staff. The table was set to perfection, with even a fresh gerbera flower in place on the table too. A lovely touch. We spent a lot of time in the spa during our stay where I had two treatments. My therapist was Gabi - she had a lovely manner and my treatments were excellent. I had initially booked one treatment before arriving at the hotel but after enjoying it so much I boo ked another for the following day. Very relaxing. We had supper in Hadrians Brasserie on two evenings, both delicious. Kannan looked after us impeccably on both occasions, nothing was too much trouble. The scallops and pork was a super dish and the fillet steak was melt in the mouth. May I also mention that Douglas at the reception was very helpful during our stay as was Sandy. We were sad when our stay came to an end. Brett at the concierge desk kindly carried our cases down to Waverley station for us at that point and even put them onto the train. That was such a help and very much appreciated. We have been going to The Balmoral Hotel for about 8 years now and it just gets better and better. I believe that it is the good customer service that sets it apart from other hotels of this grade. The management clearly invest huge amounts of time training their staff to the high standards they expect and it undoubtedly shows. A truly very special hotel. My favourite hotel in Great Britain. Thank you all. We look forward to our next visit.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Falkirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 January 2014

The Balmoral is beginning to look a little shabby in places, especially the corridors. Given the prices charged we should be able to expect better. Our last stay was pretty "average", we were given a room looking onto the internal courtyard and were kept awake all night by the constant loud drone of the ventilation system being funnelled up from below. The breakfast is good but not worth £25 pp.

2 Thank Gary290
Shoreham-by-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 January 2014

I stayed at this hotel for a birthday treat the weekend before Christmas. Well appointed room room with large windows & clear view to the castle. Plenty of wardrobe space & large bathroom. Bed was 2 singles pushed together and would have preferred a king size bed but slept soundly. The hotel had arranged "happy birthday" chocolates in my room on arrival. Nice touch! Concierge service is superb, i had the need to call on thier assistane prior to my arrival at the hotel and they managed to fufill my request perfectly & at speed. Hotel decor outside & inside was very good. Nicely decorated for festive season. Drinks in the bar were good & service was excellent. The brassierie was very busy during brakfast on both days but we didnt have to wait long & were not rushed to leave, again excellent service.
Overall a wonderful experience!

Lancashire
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Stayed here 30th and 31st December on their Hogmany package. First thing to say is that it is a beautiful hotel building, well positioned on Princes Street and next to Waverley Station. Look around however and the interior is in need of some renovation. We stayed in a Superior Deluxe King Room with Guaranteed Castle View and the best I can say is that it was acceptable. Housekeeping serviced the room very late on the 31st such that we were struggling for shampoo and also forgot to re-stock the fridge and the turn down service on the second night omitted to leave towels and slippers. The bed was very comfortable however.

The hotel was obviously busy because of the time of year and a large wedding. One of the bars (Hadrians) was actually so full on the 30th that we couldn't go in which was annoying given that we were residents and I am sure not all of those in the bar were. On the morning of the 31st however it became clear that the hotel was too full. We had to queue for 25 minutes to get into the breakfast room (also Hadrians) and we were then presented with poor and unattentive service, luke warm tea, a 15 minute wait for toast, various items missing off the buffet and poached eggs that arrived 30 minutes after sitting down. The overall feeling was one of chaos. The staff to be fair to them are exceptionally polite and apologised profusely but my view was that there simply were not enough of them to cope.

The Gala ball and dinner we attended involved a champagne reception and formal dinner. The food was excellent, as was the service. The event did promise a Michael Buble style singer who never did materialise and so after 2 hours of "Gay Gordons" and "reels" we sought sanctuary elsewhere in the hotel. The staff in the whisky bar deserve a mention for their welcome and service. We wouldn't attend this again and the same was true of guests on our table who had been before.

Breakfast the next morning was moved from the bar to one of the large function rooms. Unfortunately, we were still left waiting 20 minutes in a queue to get into breakfast. I would expect this in a Spanish 5 star but for what the Balmoral charges, it was unacceptable 2 days consecutively, especially when they add a surcharge for room service. The food itself and the breakfast experience once seated was thankfully considerably better than the previous day and more of what I had expected.

Overall, I do not think that this hotel deserves the 5 stars it happily boasts of. If it was a 4 star charging 4 star prices, I would have felt slightly less aggrieved.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
balmoraledinburgh, General Manager at The Balmoral Hotel, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Dear Guest

I am extremely sorry to learn that you left the hotel feeling disappointed with your Hogmanay stay. Our Hogmanay Gala Ball has generally been well received and I am glad that you were impressed with both the service and quality of the food. I appreciate that a full ceilidh does not suit everyone’s preferences. The swing band did play some Michael Bublé favourites but, as advertised, this was during the cocktail reception only. Whilst I regret that you found the ceilidh too much, I am pleased that you were able to enjoy the remainder of your evening in the comfort of our new whisky bar, Scotch, and again found the service of a high standard.
The breakfast service was extremely busy during your stay and I am very sorry for the resulting delays you encountered. I have shared your feedback with our Food and Beverage Manager, who is already looking at how we can improve this aspect of our service for future occasions.
I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you personally to discuss your impressions and can be reached at the hotel on the number below.

Yours sincerely