“Great hotel with great service”
Review of The Balmoral Hotel

The Balmoral Hotel
Ranked #14 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 12 January 2014

I love this hotel. It is a classic with great service and nice rooms. Unfortunately both restaurants were closed for remodeling when I was there this week but the Whisky Bar was open and in good form. Don't miss the Whisky Bar just off the lobby. The Palm Court is also great for tea or cocktails. I always enjoy staying at this hotel and this trip was not exception. Can't wait to go back.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 12 January 2014

Went here for my wife's birthday. Initially just for a meal with the family but then I decided to book a room for the night for both of us.
Now this is how hotels should be, great reception by the concierges, desk staff and restaurant staff. Car parked for you, bags to the room, everything organised to make the stay an experience.
The rooms are simply sumptuous with huge comfortable hug me beds, very large bathrooms and great views of the best city in the world. Our room was on the corner of the bridges and Princess Street and I was expecting a lot of road noise but there was none. The sound proofing is excellent.
We ate in Hadrians restaurant and it was fantastic from start to finish. The staff could not do enough for us, they even decorated my wife's desert plate with Happy Birthday. Breakfast is equally good with a huge selection of traditional, Scottish and continental foods, no haggis though or Stornaway black pudding.
Loved this place, we will be back - that's a promise.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
balmoraledinburgh, General Manager at The Balmoral Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing to dine in Hadrian’s for your wife’s recent birthday celebrations. I am pleased to read that the restaurant impressed and I am equally glad that you were able to enhance the occasion by incorporating an overnight stay with us in one of our stunning rooms with views across the city – which we would tend to agree is one of the most spectacular views one can find.
We do typically offer black pudding with our breakfast so I am sorry that this was missed on your visit. We can also provide haggis on request so please do let us know next to you are visiting and we will be certain to have this available for you.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Yours sincerely

Franck X Arnold

Reviewed 10 January 2014

Stayed at the Balmoral in December and it was worth every penny. Room lovely, bathroom amazing, pool and spa gorgeous. Special mention to Lisa the therapist and the other staff in the spa who were very brilliant. The hotel is beautiful but its the staff that really make the place, from the receptionist who remembered my husband's name the second time he met him to the staff member who greeted me going down in the lift on Sunday morning, every member of staff we came into contact with was terrific.

Reviewed 9 January 2014 via mobile

Visited the balmoral bar for a pre theatre cocktail tasting menu for 2. Each course was perfection. We later returned as a table of 7. The staff were so accommodating and friendly. A special mention to JD, Carolina and a lovely polish gentleman (his name escapes me). The knowledge and passion they showed in their work was very inspiring. They are a credit to Edinburgh's best hotel.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Visited the new Scotch bar in the Balmoral several times with a group of whiskey nutters. We were not dissapointed! With the group we sampled a fair few rare whiskeys, had some good food to go with it and all our questions were answered by our whiskey expert James behind the bar (in kilt of course). Welcoming and fun, and a great place to sample some of the better whiskeys. And ask about their most expensive bottle, the smell alone...

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 January 2014

My daughter and I stayed at the hotel for 3 nights from 1 January 2014. Everything about our stay was wonderful. Rachael in reservations had organised which room we were to stay in and she did an amazing job as it was super. We had breakfast in our room every morning which came beautifully prepared on a moveable dining table brought in by a member of staff. The table was set to perfection, with even a fresh gerbera flower in place on the table too. A lovely touch. We spent a lot of time in the spa during our stay where I had two treatments. My therapist was Gabi - she had a lovely manner and my treatments were excellent. I had initially booked one treatment before arriving at the hotel but after enjoying it so much I boo ked another for the following day. Very relaxing. We had supper in Hadrians Brasserie on two evenings, both delicious. Kannan looked after us impeccably on both occasions, nothing was too much trouble. The scallops and pork was a super dish and the fillet steak was melt in the mouth. May I also mention that Douglas at the reception was very helpful during our stay as was Sandy. We were sad when our stay came to an end. Brett at the concierge desk kindly carried our cases down to Waverley station for us at that point and even put them onto the train. That was such a help and very much appreciated. We have been going to The Balmoral Hotel for about 8 years now and it just gets better and better. I believe that it is the good customer service that sets it apart from other hotels of this grade. The management clearly invest huge amounts of time training their staff to the high standards they expect and it undoubtedly shows. A truly very special hotel. My favourite hotel in Great Britain. Thank you all. We look forward to our next visit.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 January 2014

The Balmoral is beginning to look a little shabby in places, especially the corridors. Given the prices charged we should be able to expect better. Our last stay was pretty "average", we were given a room looking onto the internal courtyard and were kept awake all night by the constant loud drone of the ventilation system being funnelled up from below. The breakfast is good but not worth £25 pp.

2  Thank Gary290