“Gorgeous”
Review of The Balmoral Hotel

The Balmoral Hotel
Ranked #12 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 21 January 2014

This hotel was so, so lovely. We stayed for three nights in January 2014 and had a lovely, huge, room facing out towards the Castle. The staff could not have been more charming and really went out of their way to be helpful - they didn't even mind when we trekked mud through reception (SO SORRY) after having an "interesting" time on Arthur's Seat.

The free bottles of water at turndown service were very much appreciated, as were the magazines in the room and the mini tin of Shortbread. The bed was massive and like sleeping in a marshmallow and despite being practically on top of Waverley Station the room was extremely peaceful. Breakfast was excellent, we had both the a la carte and the buffet and they were both delicious. The staff were attentive without being overbearing and were great at bringing us endless pots of tea.

One absolutely tiny niggle - it would have been nice to have an ipod dock in the room, but that's the only thing I can find fault with.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Joanna S
Write a ReviewReviews (3,952)

Reviewed 21 January 2014

We spent 2 nights at the Balmoral over Hogmanay and attended the Gala dinner and Ball and had a great view of the fireworks. All of the musical entertainment was much enjoyed as well as the dancing! We did this last year and enjoyed it so much we decided to go back. Everything was excellent and we all had a very enjoyable time. The staff, accommodation and food were excellent. We had afternoon tea in the Palm court which was very enjoyable and a lovely way to spend a couple of hours. Our room was on the second floor and overlooked an internal courtyard so it was very quiet. Breakfast on New Years morning was in the function suite we had been in the night before. This worked well and better than last year when we had to queue at Hadrian's. This year there was no queue at 10.30 and we were shown straight to a table.
I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: From my experience our room facing the courtyard was quieter than the room facing Princes street alb...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 January 2014

Special and extraordinary hotel with great Great service and an excellent location. Had a wonderful experience. Basic rooms are quite small with others being outstanding. This is a fine hotel and added much to our visit. Strongly recommend the Balmoral for those traveling and staying in Edinburgh.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Bills2018
Reviewed 16 January 2014

What a fantastic 3 night stay at The Balmoral Hotel. The staff, ambiance, spa and dining was fabulous. The hotel is finished to the highest quality and luxury is really key here. From the concierge to the cocktails by Jide were faultless. Jide's knowledge for blending the spirits and creating some extraordinary tastes showed a talent and flare I have never experienced. Nothing was too much trouble for Jide, a real asset to the hotel and an unforgettable night, thank you. Nuno and Callum from the cocktail bar were also welcoming and professional, and Callum certainly knows his whiskies! The Spa team could not be more helpful and attentive. Lisa was particularly good with my treatments and her manner was a welcome change from other spa's I have visited. Very professional, polite and made me feel an individual. The spa area was well looked after and maintained to a high standard which made the leisurely day we spent here an absolute pleasure. The numerous bars/restaurants within the hotel were well stocked and the decor was stunning. The only slight niggle was breakfast. You need to be VERY specific on what you want if you are ordering from the Al a Carte menu rather than have the buffet provided. Poached egg on toast means poached egg ON toast, not a poached egg in a dish and toast some time later! Cooked lovely, timings off. Our room although lovely, was a little chilly, but was serviced twice daily, and we wanted for nothing, what a treat. This may not be the cheapest hotel in Edinburgh, but it's certainly worth every penny. A lovely end to our honeymoon! Thank you to all.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank joanned907
balmoraledinburgh, General Manager at The Balmoral Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

Dear Guest

I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed your honeymoon stay with us and I would like to take this opportunity to offer my personal congratulations on your recent marriage. It is always a pleasure to receive great feedback from our guests and knowing that so many individual members of the team left such a positive impression is extremely gratifying. It will be a pleasure to share your comments with those colleagues.
I have asked our maintenance team to check the temperature control in your room to ensure it is now working efficiently. Furthermore I regret that the timings were a little off during our breakfast service but I am glad that these aspects did not impair your overall impressions of the hotel and I would like to thank you for taking the trouble to write such a fantastic review. We look forward to welcome you back soon.

Yours sincerely

Franck X Arnold

Reviewed 15 January 2014

My daughter took me to tea here as a treat when we visited for Hogmanay. We were shown to seats in the middle of the Bollinger Bar with comfy seats & cushions. It was great for people watching including the harpist playing on the balcony overlooking the room and the wedding party and their guests passing through to their ceremony. Our waiter described what we were about to be served in case we wanted to substitute anything and we chose our tea from the extensive list. First t arrive was an amuse Bouche of spicy parsnip served in a small cup (delicious), followed by a three tier cake stand of scones & sandwiches. Five types of sandwich & warm scones with jam & cream. By now we were feeling full but with a refilled teapot we moved on to cakes including lemon curd sponge, chocolate brownie & spiced plum mousse served in a shot glass. The atmosphere was relaxed and two hours later we were being offered the cake trolley which was wheeled out containing chocolates, gateaux and fruit loaf. We should have declined but but didn't of course as everything was so delicious. When we were ready to leave our remaining cakes were put in a goody bag for us to take with us! The waiter apologised for any slow service as apparently they were short staffed but we couldn't have eaten any faster! The lady in the foyer who retrieved our coats took our photo next to the enormous Xmas tree decorating the reception area before we left full and happy. All members of staff were extremely polite, efficient & friendly.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 January 2014

The Balmoral is a beautiful, historic hotel with an ideal location (above Waverly, perfect for travelers up from London for the weekend). The rooms are clean, service excellent, but the best part of the Balmoral is massage therapist, Keith. I have had countless sports massages over the years in top spas both in the US and EU, and have never had such a physically demanding yet restorative massage in addition to his quick gauge of my physical and mental needs (spot on). I will definitely be returning to Edinburgh if for no other reason than to see him!
Note: you must specially request him as the spa does not keep male therapists on staff :(

Room Tip: View of old town was spectacular!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank granolatraveler
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I have travelled many places in the world mostly on business and stay in at least 4 star and mostly in 5 star rated hotels.
The Balmoral in Edinburgh is undoubtly one if not the best overall hotel i have used.
The rooms are excellent and very clean, the food was good, the service was the best I have had at any hotel, and the people working the hotel, including reception, bellman, concierge, doorman, room service personnel and housekeeping were the friendliest and most accomodating i have ever experienced.
They knew me and my wife by name withing 15 minutes after we arrived, and knew me by name when I returned to stay again several days later.
I love this hotel, it is one of my favorites if not my favorite. I will make a special trip back to Edinburgh just to have the luxury of staying at this hotel again.

Room Tip: stayed in room 414 which was about the middle of the floor. it was quiet, spacious, well decorated...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank William R
balmoraledinburgh, General Manager at The Balmoral Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for taking the trouble to share your impressions following your recent stay at The Balmoral. I am delighted to learn that you were impressed with every aspect of your stay and in particular, that the attentive and warm hospitality displayed by my colleagues left such a positive impression. It will be a pleasure to share your kind words with the team and I very much hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you and your wife back in the future.

Yours sincerely