“Great Scotish Hotel”

Ranked #10 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
MANCHESTER
“Great Scotish Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

We stayed at this hotel for my daugters 20th birthday, at first we had a problem with the room, it was not what we expected for the price, but as soon as I spoke to the assistant manger it was sorted with ease. They were very helpful and moved us to a much nicer room. The breakfast was fab, everything you expect from a five star hotel and more the dining room staff were really good. We also dined there which again was brilliant. The only problem was the door man on the bar enterance, he was very rude and would not let us in from the outside he said we had to go through the hotel which was not on at all. The main door man was lovely, very helpful as was all the staff.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a view not internal view
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (634)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

I spent a couple of nights over Easter. From check in to check out everything worked out perfect. Staff coudn't be any more friendly. I went for a Superior Deluxe Room (512) which was very big and offered nice castle views. Housekeeping, turn down service etc. work faultless.
I received a huuuge basket of fruit and a nice card from the GM upon arrival.
The location of the hotel is best in town (only real competitor locationwise is the brand new 3* "Motel One Princes" ;-) that is just across the street, otherwise noone beats the Balmoral's location).
Front desk, doorman etc. are extremely fast, helpful and attentive.
Also, the staff at the Whisky bar were extremely nice and they seemed to have fun explaining the different Whiskys and how you should drink them etc.
What I didn't like was Hadrian's Brasserie. When you travel a lot, you know that Rocco Forte is not really known for the widest variety of breakfast choices in the hotel industry. But if this comes in combination with a jam packed, loud and hectic brasserie than rather chose the rate that does not include breakfast and go somewhere else to start the day. In my opinion they should not except external guests for breakfast. That would already help a lot and make residents feel better. Paying 338 EUR/night and serving Tea from cheapy tea bags is simply not acceptable.
Spa, pool etc. are nice but in the basement. This part of the hotel could really need some investment and updating. They put in some chairs that you can only reach from the water because it's so narrow around the pool and you would either have to jump over other guests chairs or swim to your seat. Gym okay but not more, locked away in a room that was there.
Otherwise a very fine hotel and my first choice, when I will return to beautiful, beautiful Edinburg!

Room Tip: 512 if you go for Superior Deluxe. Very good views and a lot of space...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank ICSAESJA
Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

During a recent trip to Edinburgh we were invited to the hotel to have afternoon tea. We were warmly greeted on arrival and shown to our table, which had a good view of the refurbished Palm Court.

We were then introduced to our Waitress Elodie, who was a most charming young lady. We chose our tar, and were then offered a glass of Bollinger Rose champagne which was delicious.

The tea arrived, along with the savoury selection, which rather than sandwiches consisted of brioche rolls, flat bread etc but was a really delicious selection, with the egg and the salmon being particularly notable.

The scones, jam and cream were equally delicious and these were accompanied by a selection of cakes and pastries, all different and all very tasty. To end was a rhubarb compote which was cool and very refreshing.

We were offered fresh tea and refills of the delicious champagne whilst listening to a harpist playing from a gallery above.

Throughout the service we received was excellent, but I must stress thus was because of our lovely waitress, who is a real asset to the hotel, and should be highly praised for her charming, attentive service.

To round off the afternoon we were served sweet treats from the trolley, which included delicious nougat, chocolates and a spicy fruit cake. A lovely box of what we were unable to eat was presented to us as we left.

We both really enjoyed the delicious afternoon, but what will live longest in our memory was the exceptional kindness and attention of the lovely Elodie.

Room Tip: Whilst we were not staying at the hotel I was shown some rooms and I would recommend a Deluxe Suite...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

I have stayed in many Rocco Forte hotels around the world, and the Balmoral is right up there with the best. The staff was wonderful and attentive. Our room was amazing. My wife and I could not believe the views. The location is central to everything, so you can walk everywhere. I could not recommend the Balmoral Hotel any higher.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Dee Suite, and the views were absolutely amazing.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Korea
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

I slept 2 nights in this hotel during my stay in Edinburgh, and the stay was very pleasant and recommendable. Persons at the door and reception were all very kindm helpful and in an excellent manner. I was frightened that this hotel was built more than 112 years ago, because my room was very clean, convinient and well maintained. This hotel is interesting to stay in because it has nice persons, rooms, and even the beautiful corridors and stairs, nontheless of impressive outside figure. I will definitely consider to use this hotel if I visit Edinburgh again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank mirinae
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Room on 6th floor single glazed so noisy Saturday night. Nice bathroom but temp control on bath not working. Staff v friendly but note you have to ask for complimentary tea/coffee in room!! Internet free 24 hrs 512kb - compare Tiger Lily's 20Mb free all time.
An imposing building but we could not get tea first day in the tea room.

Not cheap £155 per night - small room okayish Std double bed only thick quilt rather hot.

Breakfasted elsewhere as - £13 for an omelette in room £27 Scottish breakfast - you pay for the location..

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
balmoraledinburgh, General Manager at The Balmoral Hotel, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your impressions following your recent stay and for highlighting the friendly service you received from my colleagues.
I am very sorry to learn that you left the hotel feeling somewhat underwhelmed with other aspects of your stay. Although our city centre location and listed building status can present challenges with insulating some of our rooms from external noise, we have taken steps to minimise any possible disturbance. I would be grateful if you could contact us with your room number so that our maintenance team can check the windows to ensure the seals are fitting correctly as well as checking the bath controls.
Our internet is provided on a complementary basis for all guests throughout the duration of their stay but I regret if you found that the speed restrictive for your requirements.

I do hope that in spite of the above, you will consider returning to The Balmoral and would ask that you feel free to contact me directly if I can be of any assistance in the future.

Yours sincerely

Franck X Arnold
ewellis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014

My 12 year old and I had a lovely stay in one of the hotel's "family suites." The rooms were spacious, well appointed, and comfortable. At turndown, the housekeepers left beautiful treats for me and lovely stuffed bear for my child. We enjoyed a satisfying breakfast and a delicious high tea the following day. All in all, a lovely stay.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family