“Amazing experience”
Review of The Balmoral Hotel

The Balmoral Hotel
Ranked #13 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 23 April 2014

From the moment the Doorman took our bags from the boot of the car, to him putting them back in two days later, we were treated to the kind of service that you only wish other hotels could emulate but miss by a wide mile. The whole team were fantastic, friendly, helpful and nothing was too much trouble, but better than that, they seemed genuinly pleased to help and take a moment to chat. On booking, I requested a castle view and this was duly provided, what better way to start the day than looking towards the castle and along Princes Street with sky that was an amazing blue, just far enough away from the pipers at Princes Street gardens and high enough above the traffic to be not bothered. I contacted the spa asking for a treatment for my wife and I, but wanted us both to receive it at the same time, turned out to be no problem, they juggled some timings and posted a note through the door to confirm the arrangements, excellent service and thank you to the spa staff. So thats it pretty much..... a really nice experience all round!

Room Tip: We had room 608 for an excellent view of the castle and Princes street
There are newer reviews for The Balmoral Hotel

Reviewed 23 April 2014

Staying here for two nights with friends and loving every minute. Had a great breakfast this morning in Hadrian's, which is part of the hotel. The common parts are lovely and the Palm Court in particular is a spectacular room. The bedrooms on the sixth floor have a bit of a feeling of being in the loft, but are very comfortable and of reasonable size. Some have enormous beds and all have very good and practical bathrooms. Views from this top floor are the best. But what really makes this place is the staff. Without exception they are friendly and really helpful - a truly delightful crowd.

Room Tip: Don't ever dream of paying the published rate. If you did you'd go somewhere else and you re...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We stayed at this hotel for my daugters 20th birthday, at first we had a problem with the room, it was not what we expected for the price, but as soon as I spoke to the assistant manger it was sorted with ease. They were very helpful and moved us to a much nicer room. The breakfast was fab, everything you expect from a five star hotel and more the dining room staff were really good. We also dined there which again was brilliant. The only problem was the door man on the bar enterance, he was very rude and would not let us in from the outside he said we had to go through the hotel which was not on at all. The main door man was lovely, very helpful as was all the staff.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a view not internal view
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I spent a couple of nights over Easter. From check in to check out everything worked out perfect. Staff coudn't be any more friendly. I went for a Superior Deluxe Room (512) which was very big and offered nice castle views. Housekeeping, turn down service etc. work faultless.
I received a huuuge basket of fruit and a nice card from the GM upon arrival.
The location of the hotel is best in town (only real competitor locationwise is the brand new 3* "Motel One Princes" ;-) that is just across the street, otherwise noone beats the Balmoral's location).
Front desk, doorman etc. are extremely fast, helpful and attentive.
Also, the staff at the Whisky bar were extremely nice and they seemed to have fun explaining the different Whiskys and how you should drink them etc.
What I didn't like was Hadrian's Brasserie. When you travel a lot, you know that Rocco Forte is not really known for the widest variety of breakfast choices in the hotel industry. But if this comes in combination with a jam packed, loud and hectic brasserie than rather chose the rate that does not include breakfast and go somewhere else to start the day. In my opinion they should not except external guests for breakfast. That would already help a lot and make residents feel better. Paying 338 EUR/night and serving Tea from cheapy tea bags is simply not acceptable.
Spa, pool etc. are nice but in the basement. This part of the hotel could really need some investment and updating. They put in some chairs that you can only reach from the water because it's so narrow around the pool and you would either have to jump over other guests chairs or swim to your seat. Gym okay but not more, locked away in a room that was there.
Otherwise a very fine hotel and my first choice, when I will return to beautiful, beautiful Edinburg!

Room Tip: 512 if you go for Superior Deluxe. Very good views and a lot of space...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank ICSAESJA
Reviewed 19 April 2014

During a recent trip to Edinburgh we were invited to the hotel to have afternoon tea. We were warmly greeted on arrival and shown to our table, which had a good view of the refurbished Palm Court.

We were then introduced to our Waitress Elodie, who was a most charming young lady. We chose our tar, and were then offered a glass of Bollinger Rose champagne which was delicious.

The tea arrived, along with the savoury selection, which rather than sandwiches consisted of brioche rolls, flat bread etc but was a really delicious selection, with the egg and the salmon being particularly notable.

The scones, jam and cream were equally delicious and these were accompanied by a selection of cakes and pastries, all different and all very tasty. To end was a rhubarb compote which was cool and very refreshing.

We were offered fresh tea and refills of the delicious champagne whilst listening to a harpist playing from a gallery above.

Throughout the service we received was excellent, but I must stress thus was because of our lovely waitress, who is a real asset to the hotel, and should be highly praised for her charming, attentive service.

To round off the afternoon we were served sweet treats from the trolley, which included delicious nougat, chocolates and a spicy fruit cake. A lovely box of what we were unable to eat was presented to us as we left.

We both really enjoyed the delicious afternoon, but what will live longest in our memory was the exceptional kindness and attention of the lovely Elodie.

Room Tip: Whilst we were not staying at the hotel I was shown some rooms and I would recommend a Deluxe Suite...
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I have stayed in many Rocco Forte hotels around the world, and the Balmoral is right up there with the best. The staff was wonderful and attentive. Our room was amazing. My wife and I could not believe the views. The location is central to everything, so you can walk everywhere. I could not recommend the Balmoral Hotel any higher.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Dee Suite, and the views were absolutely amazing.
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I slept 2 nights in this hotel during my stay in Edinburgh, and the stay was very pleasant and recommendable. Persons at the door and reception were all very kindm helpful and in an excellent manner. I was frightened that this hotel was built more than 112 years ago, because my room was very clean, convinient and well maintained. This hotel is interesting to stay in because it has nice persons, rooms, and even the beautiful corridors and stairs, nontheless of impressive outside figure. I will definitely consider to use this hotel if I visit Edinburgh again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo