“Every perfect detail”
Review of The Balmoral Hotel

The Balmoral Hotel
Ranked #14 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

I can't enthuse enough about just how good the staff were throughout my stay. Every last detail was anticipated and delivered with a smile. More than that, they all meant it. I've never felt so welcome or looked after in all my travels. I was staying while running the Edinburgh marathon. The banana, energy drink and map delivered to any runner's room the night before was a great touch. Opening the Sunday breakfast service early was also greatly appreciated. As was the flexibility with our individual weird and wonderful breakfast diet routines. It also felt like all the staff were really behind each and every runner as we set off in the morning. And they were all excited to hear how we did when we returned.

The view over the castle is of course lovely. And for such a Victorian hulk of a building there was a lovely feel of intimacy.

Before staying in The Balmoral, the best service levels I've experienced have all been in Asia. I travel every month with my job. This private hotel stay beats everything I've experienced before.

It's a beautiful building, with unrivalled views in a great location. But what really makes The Balmoral outstanding is the brilliant team of people working there. It was a pleasure to interact with every single person person I met.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Abrdngy

Reviewed 25 May 2014

Over rated and over priced . Lovely location but shoddy standards and service.

Checked in to the hotel and found the room to be quite nice, including a king bed. Went for a short walk and came back and the beds had been split into two twin beds. Tried calling but the phone wouldn't work, so we used the second phone in the room. They told us the bed issue had been an error as they got us mixed up with another room and would send someone up to fix it. They also said they would fix the phone the next day. They did fix the bed that evening but it's now 2 days later and the phone still doesn't work.

The next morning, as we settled in to our room service breakfast, a rap at the door saw the server bringing a second room service breakfast to us, albeit with different items. We told him the obvious, that we already had our breakfast, and he apologized and left. Not sure if the people who ordered this one ever saw it.

Later that same day my wife called housekeeping to enquire about a pair of pants she had sent out to be cleaned the day before. They said they would be delivered that afternoon and as it was past 3:00, she was beginning to wonder when they might arrive. She was told they would check and call right back. At 5:00, there was still no reply, so she phoned a second time. They again said they would call right back. This time they did call back and informed her that her pants were delivered to the room and were hanging in the closet. Of course they weren't, so when she informed them of that, they said they would have to check again and call back. They called back apologized and said they would bring them right up, which they did.

All this for almost GBP 300.00 per night.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mhny2525
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed here and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay in this hotel. The room was very nice with a comfortable bed. We loved the whiskey bar. The breakfasts were good with plenty of choice. We had a great stay in Edinburgh and would defiantly stay in this hotel again if we return to Edinburgh.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank klett12
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Returning again to The Balmoral during my third visit to Edinburgh--- this hotel cannot be beat-- prime location, outstanding service and design-focused decor. Their new SCOTCH Whisky Bar is a wonderful new addition with knowledgeable whisky ambassadors. What I love about Rocco Forte Hotels is its stylish & classic connection to a destination, from the tartan sofas to the kilt-clad doormen, this hotel reminds me why I love Edinburgh so much. Thanks for another fabulous stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank dlcuratolo
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Stayed here whilst visiting clients in November. Having stayed in Edinburgh many times over the years I thought I would try the Balmoral. I was not disappointed at all, the whole place is very good indeed with excellent staff. I really enjoyed the spa too.

Only reason it isn’t 5 stars is the place is a little shabby and in need of a refurb, knowing how much this will cost though I cannot hold it against them!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank mag411
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Returning again to The Balmoral after 10 years, we found it unchanged in its basics value : prime location, unbeatable view, updated décor, old world atmosphere, quiet throughout, consistent service, knowledgeable staff, messy Hadrian’s.
We had booked a Superior Deluxe, hoping for an upgrade which did not happen ; we were perfectly happy with the room, boasting fantastic views of the castle, and oh, the piper could not be heard. Lay-out is classic, enhanced with the turret and slot windows. Tartan fabrics are definitely gone. Comfortable bed, large desk, ample storage. Marble bathroom is lacking, at that price level, a separate shower stall ; I now it is an old building, but it has been renovated, and a separate shower stall is a must, especially, when the tub walls are high, and difficult to climb in/out. Classic and not over abundant REN toiletries.

We slept well, enjoyed a glorious sunshine over the city at wake-up, and went down for breakfast. Hadrian’s seemed, as ever bustling, crowded with groups, understaffed, and to say it all disorganized. 2 more people came to check on us while we waited to be seated by the first guy. He got us a table right in front of the kitchen door. I sat down, and stood up again after 15 seconds. He acknowledged the inconvenience, saying that getting us seated was a priority. We might as well got a stool right in the kitchen, it would not have been less noisy. The next table was better, if only marginally. Order taken promptly for cooked food, while we helped ourselves with the buffet. Our waitress was kind and smiling and helpful. Food was good and tasty and fresh.

Helpful concierge, in terms of dinner and shopping recommendations, both out of the tourist crowd.
Very good check out, by cashier who seemed genuinely we had stayed there.
We were advised to request the valeted car 30 minutes before we needed it, which we did. It came out after 20 minutes, to be found being fined. Bellman ensured the hotel would take care of it …

The Balmoral does not seem to be resting on its laurels. It delivers sturdy value.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PASCAL H
Reviewed 19 May 2014

The hotel is quite historic. Service is very attentive & very helpful. I landed in the hotel past midnight but still managed to get my suit pressed for my meetings next day. The hotel is very old & it shows in the room, toilet etc. Room that I got had no views. Wireless internet did not work properly. I am really impressed with the service quality of the staff, but for the prices they charge do not see it as value for money.

Room Tip: not much to choose from.