“Steady value, feels like going back in time”
Review of The Balmoral Hotel

The Balmoral Hotel
Ranked #14 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Beautiful location, Victorian feel. Afternoon tea is delightful. Spent two days here after a business trip and felt warmly welcomed. Rooms are spacious, updated but have an old fashioned "feel", concierge very helpful and directed me to a few site seeing trips that we're just right for a two day stay. Lobby was a nice place to people watch, views are out of this world.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 28 May 2014

this is a 5 star hotel with great facilities palm court is very good and the service is excellent harridans is also a good restaurant to have a meal there rooms are very good and the room service and mini bar is good its a good recommended hotel

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 May 2014

My husband and I got married on March 14th 2012 and it was a lovely day. The service was beautiful and the meal was delicious.

For our wedding night we travelled to Edinburgh and arrived at the stunning 5 star Balmoral Hotel. Even before you walk through the door it oozes class and sophistication.

When we arrived at reception we were greeted by the friendly receptionist, who knew our surname before me even spoke, and she advised us we have been given a free room upgrade. Once we were checked in she showed us to our room and concierge arrived 5 minutes later with our luggage.

Walking into the room I was amazed at how simple yet luxurious the room was. I looked around and could not believe I was lucky enough to be in such a stunning hotel.

Once settled we ordered room service which was delivered quickly and I was amazed at the spread before us! Again given amazing service as the gentleman offered to pour my tea!! Simple pleasures make the experience even better! The food was absolutely beautiful, as expected.

The room was large with a gorgeous king size bed which had rose petals scattered across, a unit in which the tv (cable) was housed, a desk, books, two comfortable seats and a massive wardrobe. The bathroom was AMAZING a huge bath which 2 people could easily fit in and the shower was fantastic I wanted to take the bath home with me!! Robes and slippers were also supplied in the room

After a wonderful nights sleep we went to Hadrian's for breakfast. We were seated quickly and within 10 minutes had our breakfast in front of us. Again the food and the service were out of this world.

I felt rather sad when we checked out but I would go back to the hotel in a heartbeat.

100% recommend this hotel for that bit of luxury. We all deserve it don't we :)

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Stayed at this hotel in Feburary and found all aspects to be very good, the location was ideal for us. The hotel was however over priced slightly. We had a nice spacious room which was also very quiet. Staff were very efficient and polite. If staying in Edinburgh again we will stay here.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank jess w
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

I can't enthuse enough about just how good the staff were throughout my stay. Every last detail was anticipated and delivered with a smile. More than that, they all meant it. I've never felt so welcome or looked after in all my travels. I was staying while running the Edinburgh marathon. The banana, energy drink and map delivered to any runner's room the night before was a great touch. Opening the Sunday breakfast service early was also greatly appreciated. As was the flexibility with our individual weird and wonderful breakfast diet routines. It also felt like all the staff were really behind each and every runner as we set off in the morning. And they were all excited to hear how we did when we returned.

The view over the castle is of course lovely. And for such a Victorian hulk of a building there was a lovely feel of intimacy.

Before staying in The Balmoral, the best service levels I've experienced have all been in Asia. I travel every month with my job. This private hotel stay beats everything I've experienced before.

It's a beautiful building, with unrivalled views in a great location. But what really makes The Balmoral outstanding is the brilliant team of people working there. It was a pleasure to interact with every single person person I met.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Abrdngy
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Over rated and over priced . Lovely location but shoddy standards and service.

Checked in to the hotel and found the room to be quite nice, including a king bed. Went for a short walk and came back and the beds had been split into two twin beds. Tried calling but the phone wouldn't work, so we used the second phone in the room. They told us the bed issue had been an error as they got us mixed up with another room and would send someone up to fix it. They also said they would fix the phone the next day. They did fix the bed that evening but it's now 2 days later and the phone still doesn't work.

The next morning, as we settled in to our room service breakfast, a rap at the door saw the server bringing a second room service breakfast to us, albeit with different items. We told him the obvious, that we already had our breakfast, and he apologized and left. Not sure if the people who ordered this one ever saw it.

Later that same day my wife called housekeeping to enquire about a pair of pants she had sent out to be cleaned the day before. They said they would be delivered that afternoon and as it was past 3:00, she was beginning to wonder when they might arrive. She was told they would check and call right back. At 5:00, there was still no reply, so she phoned a second time. They again said they would call right back. This time they did call back and informed her that her pants were delivered to the room and were hanging in the closet. Of course they weren't, so when she informed them of that, they said they would have to check again and call back. They called back apologized and said they would bring them right up, which they did.

All this for almost GBP 300.00 per night.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mhny2525
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed here and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay in this hotel. The room was very nice with a comfortable bed. We loved the whiskey bar. The breakfasts were good with plenty of choice. We had a great stay in Edinburgh and would defiantly stay in this hotel again if we return to Edinburgh.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple