“Awesome hotel”
Review of The Balmoral Hotel

The Balmoral Hotel
Ranked #13 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed in the balmoral for our week in Scotland and it was fantastic! Amazing scottish experience, rooms were amazing and couldn't have asked for better service. Quite expensive but you get what you pay for! Highly recommend it!

• Stayed: June 2014
There are newer reviews for The Balmoral Hotel

Reviewed 26 June 2014

My friends and I stayed for one night at the Balmoral, both of us booking superior rooms. The rooms were fine, very clean and well appointed. However the hotel appears to operate a two-tier system when it comes to the 5* frills with some customers more deserving of complimentary extras than others. My friends did very well and received a complimentary basket of fruit, a souvenir tin of shortbread and a turn down service. I apparently, warranted non of these. And to add insult to injury, they tried to charge me double for breakfast.

My advice would be, stay here for the excellent location but don't waste your money on a room upgrade. You might not get what you thought you were paying for.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Jane1501
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I spent one night in Edinburgh recently while ticking things off my bucket list (in this case a journey on the Flying Scotsman - which departs Edinburgh at 05:40!)

I booked The Balmoral partly because it is literally above Waverley Station, but also because the reviews seemed good.

I always assume the Scottish people don't like the English (for historical reasons) and last time I was in Edinburgh I received a very cold, hostile and homophobic welcome (or rather not welcome).

Anyway, The Balmoral was wonderful. A very warm welcome, a beautiful room with spectacular views of Princes Street and the Castle.

The bed was very comfortable, the bathroom was opulent, what more could I need?

I also had a great dinner at the hotel brasserie which I will review separately.

Overall a lovely hotel and a great stay.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I recently went to the Balmoral on a business trip to Edinburgh and when entering the hotel was welcomed straight away by one of the very friendly staff who showed me to the reception. Checking in was nice and easy and again the staff were very friendly and explained the various facilities. My room was spacious, clean and quiet facing the court yard.
The bathroom also was nice and spacious and with plenty of mirrors.
The only weak point is perhaps the high instep into the shower/bath compartment and I could imagine an elderly person having trouble to get out as there is nothing to hold on.
The breakfast buffet over a wide variety of food and one also could order a la carte. Wifi was free for 24 hours.
The location of the hotel is very good as the Royal Mile is just 3 mins away and one steps out onto Princess Street one of the main shopping areas of Edinburgh.
I enjoyed my stay very much and definately will come back to the Balmoral.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank BHXTraveller55
Reviewed 26 June 2014

What an excellent stay we had!! From the efficient, friendly greeting to the last polite goodbye we couldn't fault anything. We arrived by train so the location just at the top of escalators from the station was brilliant.
Large room and huge bed, Despite being in the middle of several major roads was very quiet. The bathroom was lovely, lots of mirrors and a wonderful shower. Has to be the best hotel breakfast I have ever eaten. Very pleasant bar.
Staff helpful and friendly. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Great location and fabulous view. We had a corner suite overlooking the main street. The service was excellent. Our room was beautifully decorated, had fresh flowers and a large bathroom. Our room was very quiet. The hotel does have a lot of weddings so it could be noisy at times. The hotel met our expectations as a luxury hotel and excellent location. There are some parts of the hotel that are beginning to show some wear. We used the spa and the services were terrific. We especially enjoyed the casual restaurant, Hadrian's where we had several dinners expertly prepared. Had a nice dinner at Number One--great ambiance and food. The bars could use some updating, however, we were there during a marathon which made them more crowded than usual. Enjoyed our stay

Room Tip: Corner Braemor Suite was delightful, very roomy, comfortable and sunny.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 June 2014

This is by any definition a beautiful hotel. We stayed there for one night in a suite. There were several rooms and it was incredibly spacious. We spent part of the evening in a whiskey bar called Scotch. There, we enjoyed several different whiskeys, presented by Fraser. He was very knowledgeable and happy to help us select various scotches to try. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple