“Excellent hotel”
Review of The Balmoral Hotel

The Balmoral Hotel
Ranked #13 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We had a wonderful stay at the Balmoral Hotel. A friend recommended it and she did not disappoint! Our room was spacious and well appointed. The concierge team was top notch, arranging several dinner reservations prior to our arrival and tickets to attractions that saved us a wait in line. It is centrally located and an easy walk to the Castle and the Royal Mile. The breakfast each morning had a good variety and is served buffet style. Everything was carefully refreshed, even the morning of the marathon, which was quite busy. My husband also enjoyed the Whiskey Bar for an evening night cap.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Carol G
There are newer reviews for The Balmoral Hotel

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Visited here for afternoon tea and was thoroughly blown away with the choice offered. Varying textures, flavours were on offer. An amuse bouche of gazpacho started off proceedings. This was followed by a collection of savoury items which were lovely and very tasty. After this was the sweet collection and it must be said the pastry chef worked wonders with some absolutely amazing flavour combinations. This was followed by the sweet trolley and once again a collection of tempting offerings were available. We tried the petit fours which were divine. The experience was finished by a small strawberry ice cream cornet. Throughout the afternoon the service was first class and could not be faulted. There was copious amounts of tea and coffee on offer throughout. The price for the afternoon tea is £27 per head and this can be upgraded to a champagne afternoon tea for £42 per head. We would recommend you visit here at least once.

Room Tip: Book in advance as this facility can be very busy
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I recently attended my gradutaion ball at the Balmoral Hotel, this was my first experience of the hotel so i was very excited. I was left disapointed after the money i had paid for my ticket. I currently work in the hotel industry and have worked in hospitality in the past. I really enjoyed my evening but i felt i could of had the same experience at a cheaper rate. The soup i had for starter was cold and disapointing. The table i was sat on only had myself and 4 others, it was one of the smaller tables and we didnt recieve great service for example our water wasnt poured for us, we werent offered anymore coffee like other tables were.

It was disapointing as i had very high expectations from working in a 3 star hotel i expected alot more from the 5 star balmoral hotel, this unfortunately wasnt the case.

It was a beautiful venue which id love to use again in the future but for large banqueting events im not sure i will.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
BalmoralEdinburgh, Manager at The Balmoral Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Dear Guest,

I am sorry to learn that you were left feeling somewhat underwhelmed following your recent Graduation Ball at The Balmoral. We cater for a large variety of events, from small intimate dinners to large gala balls and typically receive very positive feedback regarding both the food and service. Your event organiser has not previously shared your impressions with us but I would like to investigate your comments and understand where we have gone wrong on this occasion. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss you experience personally and would ask that you please contact me directly on the number below at your convenience.

Yours sincerely

Nicolas Schell
Food and Beverage Manager
0131 556 2414

Reviewed 3 July 2014

Visited a friend in Edinburgh following his knee operation, stayed here for 4 days a very impressive hotel from both outside and inside. A grand hotel built in the days of "Grand Style" long gone in the UK now I admit but this place certainly shows how "it used to be done"
The rooms are huge, well presented and stocked and well maintained by the staff.
The breakfast was lovely as was the evening meal we had at the hotel.
Situated at one end of Queens Street it is ideally situated for all activities in Edinburgh - next door to the train station but I must admit you can't here the trains.
car parking is somewhat expensive at £20 per night on time of the room rate - although the car valet service is excellent - I arrived my bags were taken out the boot and the car whisked away to ???, I required the car only 1 night I was there, a simple call to reception and the car was waiting for my wife and I when we arrived at reception.
Overall an outstanding hotel as was the service - would definitely stay again

Room Tip: Perhaps not at the rear of the hotel, although you have a nice sight of Edinburgh you also have the...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Daveoffshore
Reviewed 1 July 2014

My wife and I attended a business event hosted at the Balmoral over 3 days. We ate out at dinners each evening but had breakfasts and lunches at the Balmoral which were all very good (the breakfast was buffet style for those attending our event). The room was large, light and spacious. I was initially disappointed that we had a room facing into the centre of the hotel however I think to avoid street noise at night this was possibly an advantage although we were on the 5th floor so should have been OK. Didn't use the leisure facilities but went for a look and appeared very nicely done. The service is where we thought the Balmoral had the edge: met as we pulled up outside the hotel, luggage carried and check-in efficient. By the time I got out of the car most of my luggage had been unloaded and the events organiser had been told I was here and he came out to greet me. When we checked out the same excellent efficiency. By the time I had paid the bill at reception, the car was fully loaded with our considerable amount of luggage and equipment from the event.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Allan G
BalmoralEdinburgh, General Manager at The Balmoral Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the trouble to review your recent visit to The Balmoral. I am delighted to read that you were able to combine business and leisure to enjoy a memorable stay with us.
Our full Scottish breakfast is a great way to set you up for a busy day and I am glad that you enjoyed the food served throughout your event.
Your comments regarding the quality of service are particularly pleasing and it will be a pleasure to share your review with my colleagues who looked after you during your stay.
I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future, when hopefully you will have more time to enjoy the dining and spa facilities available to our guests.

Yours sincerely

Franck X Arnold

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Husband had booked hotel Missoni for birthday gift, however we were double booked. Hotel Missoni organised for us to stay at the Balmoral and gave us another night with them. The welcome at the Balmoral was good and the room was also good. When we arrived in room however there were birthday goodies of chocolate strawberries and chocolate birthday msg etc.only not for me! We let the staff know and they said they would send someone to get it so we went off for some lunch. When we returned it was still there and we had to once again call to let them know! Hope the birthday boy wadnt disappointed. After a lovely night in the city we went for breakfast in the morning and had to wait 10 minutes for a seat! Hugely disappointed with that....5 star...really? Queuing fir brekkie, which again was simply average once we got our seat. Wont be rushibg back.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank twowheels2010
Reviewed 30 June 2014

For my first trip to England and Scotland, I had to try high tea. I first went to the Ritz in England and was extremely underwhelmed. My Mom's best friend suggested that when we were in Scotland, that we try the Balmoral High Tea experience and boy was she right! This place is beyond excellent. Not only was the food and tea amazing, the service was impeccable. Our server could not have been more gracious, knowledgable and charming. I highly recommend coming here. It was one of the highlights of the trip!

Room Tip: Do not skip high tea!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple