“Only hotel for me”

Ranked #9 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Only hotel for me”
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Had a great trip and stayed at the balmoral for two nights.
It is a wonderful location and a classic feel.
We had a small double and it was small but in saying that we had everything we needed and a lovely little bathroom.
We had a turndown service in the first night but not on the second night. Not sure why that was.
This was our second stay at this hotel and we again enjoyed the pool, the balmoral bar and the whiskey bar. We were unable to have pre dinner drinks at Palm Court unfortunately as we did previously because it was closing at 7pm. They must have changed it to being for lunch/high tea only.
Breakfast was lovely. Lots of servers and a great selection. The only thing was that there was a huge shortage of fried eggs on both mornings. Had to wait about 20 minutes on the second morning for them, which kind of ruined my breakfast. Please sort out the eggs!
This is a great hotel however and I can't wait to return. I always recommend it.
I only have one major gripe and it was pretty bad.
The downstairs lavatories were, how can I put it, disgusting.
I visited after my meal at number one around 10pm and the next evening around 11pm. I'm not going to go into details but yuck!!!!!!
Really not on. They obviously hadn't been attended to in quite some time. Not what you want to see after a lovely meal.
Please review cleaning times of these.
Overall a really great stay! Just a few little points to improve on.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (642)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I have had the pleasure of staying at the The Balmoral on a number of occasions, but always on business. This afternoon my wife, daughter and future son and law dropped in for High Tea in the Palm Court ( which we had booked earlier in the week ). I expected a good experience, after all it is a 5 star hotel in the centre of the Scottish capital but what we got was way better than that. From start to finish the attention to detail and professionalism exhibited was of a truly exemplary standard. One of the Palm Court staff ( Victoria ) overheard us discussing the fact that it was indeed my daughters birthday. Note I said overheard. When the sandwiches etc started to arrive it was apparent that she had prepared the plates with "happy Birthday" on them which was a lovely thought. The overall experience was indeed very enjoyable and was topped off when the guest relations manager ( Sandy Fraser ) came over personally to wish my daughter a happy birthday and then give us a short historical overview of the hotel and it's history. He was clearly a very busy man but he also recognised that I had stayed at the hotel before and that it was indeed a special day for my daughter. Thank you sincerely to Sandy, Victoria and the team at the Balmoral. You are most definitely a five star set up

Steve Dunlop

Room Tip: I did not stay at the hotel on this occasion but have always found the rooms to be excellent with a...
2 Thank Steve D
Reviewed 15 August 2014

The Balmoral lived up to its reputation with respect to luxury, location, convenience (next to train station), cleanliness and service. This is our third visit and all three have been great. The cost is reasonable for what you get so we view it as as special stay of a few days during a two week trip. The service is truly superior. The beds were great, it was quiet and comfortable.

Room Tip: call the hotel and discuss what you want. They make every effort to meet you desires.
Newbury, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2014

what a wonderful Hotel, you cannot fault this property, as I work partly in the global travel industry I was looking for at least one fault, there were none! Service here is excellent, first class that would be hard to beat and I have stayed in 5 star Hotels all over the world, this ranks as one of the best in its class! From the porters to the concierge to the bar staff, every member of staff truly know the meaning of customer service, the housekeeping team are also phenomenal! I will be back !!

Room Tip: any room is good but ask for one overlooking the Castle just spectacular!!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
BalmoralEdinburgh, General Manager at The Balmoral Hotel, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the trouble to share your impressions following your recent stay with us at The Balmoral. I am delighted to learn that you were impressed with every aspect of your stay and in particular, that the attentive and warm hospitality displayed by my colleagues left such a positive impression. It will be a pleasure to share your kind words with the team and I very much hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

Yours sincerely

Franck X Arnold
0131 556 2414
Reviewed 13 August 2014

The Balmoral is just about as good as it gets for hotels in the UK. From the moment you arrive and you are greeted by the doorman you are swept into a world of comfort and luxury. Despite living in Edinburgh every now and again the Balmoral is our escape from the city for a weekend and it never fails to impress.

Whichever room you are in there are great views across the city, the beds are super comfy and I think I need to steal one of their bath tubs - I've never found a deeper tub anywhere on my travels.

Entire afternoons of my life have disappeared in the serene happiness that is just sitting by the pool and enjoying the spa. Breakfast in our room is always a real treat and served to perfection.

Even if Edinburgh had nothing else to offer it would be worth coming to stay here, but for anyone coming to the city to explore, you couldn't be more in the centre of everything at the Balmoral whilst also being totally detached from it should you want to be.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Galashiels, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I had birthday afternoon tea at the Balmoral in August. The service was great and the food really nice. The staff were friendly and helpful. There was more than enough food - we left feeling stuffed. As it was my birthday I did get a special piece of cake then a round of applause from the other guests!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
BalmoralEdinburgh, Manager at The Balmoral Hotel, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a generous review following your recent visit for afternoon tea with us. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your birthday celebration in Palm Court including your special slice of birthday cake and the service you encountered from my colleagues.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Yours sincerely

Jenny Laseen
Palm Court Manager
0131 556 2414
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 9 August 2014

My family just stayed at the Balmoral Hotel for a few days when visiting Edinburgh.
We had a great experience from the minute we checked in until our departure at the train station.
The rooms are attractive and comfortable. Excellent room service and dining options,
Afternoon tea was excellent! The Scotch bar was fun to have a drink after walking around the castle and Old Town (a few minutes walk from the hotel). The Concierge got excellent tickets for our large party to attend the Military Tattoo festival. We appreciated the bellman helping us with our luggage to the train station right next to the hotel.
I highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Edinburgh!