“Special Hotel”
Review of The Balmoral Hotel

The Balmoral Hotel
Ranked #12 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 29 August 2014

We spent one night a week ago and two more just now and I was stunned at the service we received in a hotel of this type in the UK. NOTHING was too much for the staff. They remembered my name and, although there was a slight hiccup when I checked in, everything was undertaken by the staff with such professionalism I would re comment other hotels in the UK take note.

The hotel is located adjoining Waverley station and is within easy walking distance to all the main sights that Edinburgh has to offer.

Our room was very spacious, we had the Spey Suite, so it is probably not the smallest, our room from a week earlier was smaller but just as nice.

Take my advice if you can afford it and book a high room with Castle views - it is worth the extra!!

If I'm true to note, the only downside was the Concierge. On both occasions I had to call at least twice to get my bags collected after waiting 20 minutes. But if that is the only downside.......carry them down I say.

Stunning stay.....well done to the entire team!

Room Tip: Book a room with Castle view - they are stunning!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,959)

Reviewed 29 August 2014

Simply one of the best...Staff can't do enough, food is great. Worth the expense, I will definitely we visiting this hotel again. Please treat yourself and book the Balmoral Experience, you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 August 2014

We spent one night in a Luxury King Suite, a gift from our son and daughter-in-law, and what a gift it was! Everything was truly superior, and if we could afford to spend a week here, we certainly would. The suite's furnishings were beautiful, the marble bathroom was exquisite, and the amenities were first-rate. The tray of chocolate covered strawberries was a lovely touch, and service was impeccable. Treat yourself to a first-rate experience; or, better yet, find someone else to treat you!

Room Tip: Our rooms, which overlooked the city center, offered a sensational view.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
BalmoralEdinburgh, General Manager at The Balmoral Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the trouble to share your impressions following your recent stay with us at The Balmoral.

I am delighted to learn that you were impressed with every aspect of your stay including the understated luxury of our design and decor, and in particular, the attentive and warm hospitality displayed by my colleagues that left such a positive impression. It will be a pleasure to share your kind words with the team and I very much hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

Yours sincerely

+44 (0)131 556 2414

Reviewed 27 August 2014

Amazing location if you are visiting Edinburgh and want to be at the heart of the city.
Was fortunate to be a guest of my company for the weekend. Welcome , service, attention to detail is faultless. Staff are friendly and helpful. Atmosphere is amazing. Rooms are spacious, well furnished and everything works. Bar, Palm Court , Restaurant are excellent, If you are wanting a special treat this is the place for you. However remember this is busy city centre top end Hotel and is always on the move. Finding a quiet place to relax is not easy unless you wish to use the Spa facilities. First Class. If you find fault here you must be really very fussy.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 August 2014

I can't say enough good things about this hotel. From the moment the gentleman at check in inquired as to any Scottish roots (he is a Fraser and my grandmother's clan were relatives to his) we were treated like family. The rooms were beautiful, afternoon tea was ambrosial, and the concierge had a cab whisk us away to a pre-arranged clinic appointment when my son came down with early symptoms of strep. We have stayed at The Caledonian and it pales in comparison to The Balmoral. One last tidbit...we didn't have a driving map as we were loading up the car headed up north and the concierge ran to a local store to buy us a detailed UK driving atlas. Seriously amazing service. Worth every penny.

Room Tip: The adjoining rooms are perfect for families...privacy for parents and while children are in close p...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest

It is always immensely gratifying to receive positive feedback from our guests and I would like to thank you for posting such a fantastic review following your recent stay. We pride ourselves on our warm Scottish hospitality and I am pleased to read that my colleagues at the concierge and front desk enhanced your overall experience with their knowledge and resourcefulness I will take pleasure in sharing this with team who I know will be delighted to receive such complimentary feedback.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Yours Sincerely,

+44 (0)131 556 2414

Reviewed 26 August 2014

We recently held our wedding day at the Balmoral Hotel and we can't stop talking about how fantastic it was. From the planning stages, right through to the very last dance at the evening reception, we had exceptional service, food quality etc. The staff (especially Sandy at guest relations and Elizabeth in the events team) are just fantastic and will try their best to cater for your every need. The wedding reception rooms are just beautiful and have such lovely views over the castle and Scott Monument. We stayed the night in the JK Rowling Suite and can't recommend it more, it's a very beautiful suite with gorgeous fluffy bathrobes and spacious living room area. Definitely worth paying a bit extra for! I can't recommend the Balmoral enough, just wish we could do it all over again! Thank you to all the staff for making our day so special.

Room Tip: Try an executive room or a grand suite if your budget allows.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 August 2014

This was our 2nd stay at The Balmoral. We last stayed 4/5 years ago. We were bitterly disappointed this time. We won't be staying again. The hotel is tired and shabby. It is not a luxury hotel anymore. The furniture in the bedroom is a disgrace. A nasty cheap glass coffee table, plastic chair. Very cheap. Our beds were thrown together each day. The sheets were never tucked under the mattress. Terrible. In the bar the server told us unbidden how much he liked the festival as he got very large tips. I felt this was inappropriate and felt tacky. The wifi never worked. The TV signal was intermittent. Also the room had a foul smell every time we entered - not sure if this was the air conditioning unit, the rotten strawberries they foisted on us every day or something more sinister. Also, every single room service order we made had a mistake - something missing, random items. We had a horrid, noisy room too! Nothing was a pleasure here. If you're used to true luxury hotels (Fairmont, Maybourne Group, The Dorchester Group etc etc) do not stay here! You'll hate it.

Every hotel in Edinburgh would have to be fully booked for me to come back to The Balmoral. And even then I'm not sure.

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel! If you must stay, pick a room overlooking the castle.
5  Thank MariaFMaria2014
BalmoralEdinburgh, General Manager at The Balmoral Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback. I am sincerely sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations during your recent stay. It is regrettable that we were unaware of your dissatisfaction during your visit. We pride ourselves on providing world class Scottish hospitality at The Balmoral and it appears that we have fallen short on this occasion. I would be extremely grateful to have the opportunity to discuss your impressions further. I can be contacted on the number below at your earliest convenience.

Yours Sincerely