“Fantastic stay”

Ranked #10 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
UK
“Fantastic stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2009

I spent a wonderful 3 night stay at The Balmoral with my husband. The hotel is a beautiful historic building next to Waverley train station (yes it is next to a train station so there is bound to be a little noise).
From the moment we stepped out of our taxi we were greeted warmly by the staff, from the kilted doorman to the charming receptionist who showed us to our enormous room on the sixth floor. (Room 628 - highly recommend).
The room was beautifully appointed, and although we did not pay for the full on castle view, we could clearly see the castle, the old town, the station, north bridge, and in the distance the Firth of Forth from the panoramic windows. The bathroom was brand new - nice marble, chrome, and black and white tiles, and unusually, a life size picture of Sean Connery who had reopened the hotel after major refurbishment!
We ate dinner at both restaurants - the more informal Hadriens and the Michelin starred Number One. Both were outstanding - Number One was a real gastronomic experience.
Room service breakfast was wonderful - brought to us on a full sized pull out table with white linen and crockery, silver cutlery and delicious food.
The spa was very nice, and I had a lovely and very relaxing Espa treatment - back massage and facial.
In summary, this is a beautiful hotel. It is grand but still feels very welcoming. The staff are friendly and helpful. The rooms are well appointed and spotlessly clean. It is expensive but we felt that it was worth the price. We did ask in advance for a quiet room with a good view and this is exactly what we got. If you like absolute silence you will need to invest in some earplugs, simply because this is a city centre hotel next to a train station! Ask for a room on one of the top floors. I am a light sleeper but I had no trouble getting a good night's sleep at the Balmoral. I went home feeling relaxed and pampered. Thank you very much to all the staff who made our stay so special. A real treat.

• Liked — Beautifully appointed.
  • Disliked — No tea/coffee making faciility.
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank charlie21UK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (634)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Edinburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2009

Amazing!! I've been lucky enough to stay at this hotel twice (wedding night and birthday) I cannot fault any part of my experiences at the Balmoral.
Just discovered this website and thought i'd comment. :-)

• Liked — Everything
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mrsspiro
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2009

My husband booked us a two night stay for my birthday at this hotel and all I can say is AMAZING! We had an absolutely fantastic stay! You cannot help but be impressed when you see the hotel from the outside... and when you enter inside, you are not disappointed either!!

On arriving at the hotel, the staff at the door dressed in full Scottish regalia assisted us with our bags and allowed us to go straight to the check in desk! Check in itself was quick and smooth and the staff extremely courteous!

My husband had said when he booked the stay that it was a birthday break and that as we had just got engaged he wanted to make it extra special... so when we gave our name to check in the manager came over to wish me a happy birthday and congratulations to us both on our engagement and personally showed us to our room (which they had upgraded for us!). In our room the hotel had left us a bottle of Bollinger champagne and engagement card which I really felt was a lovely touch!

Being centrally located at the top of Princes Street it's ideal if you want to spend your day at the shops, exploring the city or sightseeing! We had a lovely day out on the Friday checking out the shops and doing a bit of sightseeing then left a bustling Princes Street and returned to the calm and serenity of our room! I'd read some comments about noise levels from the street and can honestly say we experienced none of this and we stayed on a Friday and Saturday evening!!

We enjoyed some drinks at the Bollinger Bar in Palm Court which was a fantastic start to our evening celebrations and also had some afternoon tea whilst we stayed too - both of which are an absolute must!!

I can honestly not recommend this hotel enough! We had an amazing stay - the staff cannot do enough for you and the location is first class too!
It's expensive but well worth it!!

• Liked — The staff were so helpful and the service was first class! And indulging in some champagne at the Bollinger Bar!!
  • Disliked — Nothing!!
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Scotrocker
balmoraledinburgh, General Manager at The Balmoral Hotel, responded to this review, 3 February 2009
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your kind review, following your recent stay with us at The Balmoral Hotel.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your birthday / engagement stay with us.

We appreciate such positive feedback from our valued guests, as it inspires and motivates us to maintain the high level of service we aim to provide.

Thank you for taking the time to write and we look forward to having the sincere pleasure of welcoming you back to The Balmoral in the future (perhaps on your honeymoon next time!)

Kind regards
Ivan Artolli
Carlisle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2009

I had the pleasure of staying at this hotel for one night with my wife in January and I would just like to say what a wonderful hotel it is, with staff that really do go the extra mile.

Staff are polite and courteous at all times, and try and do as much for you as possible to make your stay a good one. Though the offer of turning my bed down was one I could easily decline, I think I am capable of that at my age!

The room was lovely with high ceilings, with a beautiful bathroom - lovely marble tiles. May i just say that the bath is massive, and with plentiful hot water. While the shower over the bath nearly knocked me off my feet, it really was a power shower. I really am not obssessed with cleanliness, but the room was spotless.

The hotel generally was spotless, from bar areas to toilets to restaurants. All excellent.

The breakfast is well worth getting up for, may i just say that the scrambled eggs are delicious - as was the orange juice.

All in all a great stay, and one I would like to repeat in the very near future.

• Liked — The hotel, staff, massive bath, scambled eggs and OJ
  • Disliked — Having to leave
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank beach_bum1971
Carlisle, Cumbria,
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2009

The Balmoral is the 'business' in Edinburgh, especially if you have a family.
We visited just before Christmas with our 3 children.
It welcomes children, the parents relax and guess what - the children behave!
Everything was great - money well spent.
We will be back next year!

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — the heating - we like it cold
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank notshort
Boston, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2009

We should have written our review sooner! Our stay was wonderful and we're actually planning on returning! The location was great as we could go and explore the city and stop back at the hotel to take a break or drop off purchases.

The accomodations and service were superb!

• Liked — Chic and modern - Location
  • Disliked — love everything!
  • Stayed November 2006
1 Thank Val_in_Boston
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2009

We LOVED our stay at the Balmoral! We arrived the day after we got married and stayed 2 nights in a corner room on the sixth floor with great views of the city-in 2 directions!! The staff were lovely and we enjoyed swimming in the pool, the sauna, and the fluffy bathrobes in the room. The hotel was immaculate in every way and the room was so spacious we could skip around in it (and I did, I was so thrilled with it). I would HIGHLY recommend the Balmoral as the place to stay when you are in Edinburgh.

• Liked — everything!
  • Disliked — nothing!
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple