“Great location but Impersonal”
Review of The Balmoral Hotel

The Balmoral Hotel
Ranked #13 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 26 March 2010

The Balmoral Hotel is a landmark building in Edinburgh, centrally located and fabulous for "stepping out" for shopping, theatre, socialising etc.

Unfortunately I found it soulless though!! Hotel has hundreds of rooms that vary in size and decor. I looked at 3 rooms before i decided on the room I felt was satisfactory for the money paid. I would reccommend an internal room as the ouyside rooms are noisy with street traffic.

I felt the SPA was an afterthought with small "cold" pool and a bit claustrophobic as it is in the basement - I could not get a Spa treatment so cannot comment on that facility.

Overall it is a lovely hotel, I would stay again for convenience but I do think there are lots of other hotels in Edinburgh which have far more warmth and fun!

Roomesa

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (4,005)

Reviewed 26 March 2010

We would just like to thank you very much for the excellent service you and your staff provided on our recent visit to your hotel last weekend. It was a surprise birthday trip arranged by my partner Mr White for me and I could not have wished for anything better. I would like to give a special mention to Gregor Forbes the Hadrians Restaurant Manager because his own personal attention to detail was impeccable and his staff very conscientious. Many Thanks.

Reviewed 25 March 2010

Stayed in March for the weekend. Great location at the end of Princess Street. Valet parking was excellent, it makes travelling much easier. On arrival we asked the concierge to find us a french restaurant for the Saturday night and to their credit they arranged this no problem. The concierge and reception staff were extremely helpful all through the stay.

Reviewed 21 March 2010

My husband spent two night at the Balmoral in mid-March.
We took a shuttle bus from the airport that took us to the city center. The hotel is a 5 minute walk away, so it was convenient. We were greeted warmly upon check-in and shown our rooms. The staff at the Balmoral is excellent!! I have never been treated this kindly and genuinely anywhere. Both reception and the concierge were very helpful.
Our room was a corner room with an outside view. Because it was a corner room, we had a little foyer that connected to the bathroom. The room was nice- no complaints. The couch had two reading lamps and was an excellent place to curl up. The bathroom was clean and spacious enough- the shower was excellent!
Location of the hotel is good, just a short walk to the Royal Mile and restaurants. If you like Thai food, go to Thai Orchid off the Royal Mile. Have the concierge make a reservation for you since it is a small place.

There is also complimentary homemade fudge available at reception whenever you'd like. It was delicious!!

Overall, I'm very pleased with our stay and would definitely stay at the Balmoral again if I return to Scotland.

Reviewed 19 March 2010

only stayed one night so only a snapshot view.location superb,lovely decor,pleasant staff.lighting in bedroom dull,difficult to read in bed.breakfast was ok,but service poor.Had to ask staff for everything,no one checking things ok.table next to us also exasperated when had to ask for pile of plates to be removed.just not up to usual 5 star service. filled in guest satisfaction form in room stating this,left e mail address,but no response nearly 2 weeks later....

Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 March 2010

Very good Hotel with excellent location at 1 Princess Street in the heart of Edinburgh. Service, attention to details superb. You cant go wrong if you want to spend the money for luxury.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank stonecroft
Reviewed 15 March 2010

I was a little hesitant travelling to the balmoral having stayed there years ago (pre refurb!). From the minute we arrived to the minute we left, nothing dissapointed.

Arrival was quick, courteous and most of all just downright friendly. Our room was an executive double (apparently) and did not dissapoint - the decor was lovely and very 'fresh'. Indeed, we were 'apologised' to for the fact that the room was inward facing - I actually found this quite refreshing - the view of the stained glass windows was lovely and we avoided a lot of the Princes St hustle & bustle (and the noise associated with the International weekend!)

Whilst in the hotel, we used the Spa, The Balmoral Bar, Hadrians for Breakfast and the goegeous Number One.

Spa was just as required on a lazy Sunday morning - the pool is immaculate and the steam room and sauna's were well above the usual hotel spa quality. We didn't have treatments as time sadly didn't permit on an already busy weekend - but I am assured that the therapists are world class.

The Balmoral Bar is great for people watching and cocktails......although the Grandmorangie would be best avoided if you want to stay awake to enjoy your evening ;-)

Number One's food rivalled that of many of the London restuarants we have eaten in - my husband commented that his Venison was the best he had eaten anywhere (and he is particularly fussy!). The food was outstanding, service a little too attentive and perhaps slightly rushed - but a quiet word seemed to help!

All in all a great weekend and can't wait to take the kids next time - the sight of little people in their kiddy sized robes almost made me homesick (for about 2 minutes!!)

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
balmoraledinburgh, Resident Manager at The Balmoral Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2010

Dear Guest

I was delighted to read your recent Tripadvisor review and would like to thank you for your kind words.

I am glad to learn that you had the opportunity to take full advantage of the facilities and enjoyed a relaxing weekend with us at The Balmoral.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back in the near future.

Kind regards