The Balmoral Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$207
US$201
  • Restaurant
Apex Grassmarket Hotel(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$150
US$150
US$358
US$325
  • Restaurant
Ibis Edinburgh Centre Royal Mile(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$270
  • Bar/Lounge
Fraser Suites Edinburgh(Edinburgh)
US$182
  • Restaurant
Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$163
US$152
Agoda.com
US$221
US$201
Agoda.com
4,107 results
All reviewsthe palm courthadrian's brasseriescotch barrocco fortemarble bathroomsean conneryconcierge stafftrain stationbeautiful hotelturn down serviceluxury hotelprinces streetbirthday treatedinburgh castlecastle viewroyal milespa
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 May 2010

This hotel was perfect for our brief stay in Edinburgh. The hotel staff, especially Susanna at the front desk, were extremely helpful and very professional...The rooms were immaculate and the beds were very comfortable. I would highly recommend this hotel for its amenities as well as conveniet location to the Edinburgh Castle and many restaurants.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 May 2010

I would love to give this hotel a balanced review, but unfortunately my view was marred on our first night by the poor attitude of one of the maintenance staff. After a long tiring day a bath was in order but I was shocked to find the first bath I ran was very green in colour with black bits on the bottom. I let this water go and ran a second which again was very green. Reception sent up a maintenance person who got very agitated when challenged. Firstly he said it wasn’t green, then he said it was the light, and then he said the water was that colour in his house. When questioned whether he thought it was acceptable, he ended the conversation with ‘well you don’t have to get in it if you don’t want to, but that’s the way it is’. His rude response was enough to reduce me to tears and make me want to go home. Part of Rocco Forte’s statement regarding his hotel philosophy states he wants his guests experience to be like home from home. I certainly don’t bathe in green water at home.
After complaining, we moved rooms, but the water remained green. May be this is the way the water is in Edinburgh, but we felt that this could have been pointed out to us by way of a small notice in the bathroom (as I have experienced in other hotels around the world).
To comment on the hotel as a whole, the public spaces are well presented and the service was good. The meal in the Number One restaurant was excellent. The bathrooms are a little tired and need updating. Breakfast is a chaotic experience which was a disappointment as the buffet choice was very good, just presented on such small tables you felt you were in the way if you wanted to browse what was on offer. The gluten free bread was the best I’ve tasted in any hotel, even though it was delivered to the wrong table initially. We had breakfast in our room the next day which was a much more relaxed affair.
We had cut short our 3 night break on the evening of the 3rd night unexpectedly. In fairness the hotel did not charge us for the 3rd night. I’m not sure if this was their policy or as a token for the water episode, but nothing was mentioned on check out.
Unfortunately, the incident with the water will always be the first thing I remember about our stay here.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
balmoraledinburgh, General Manager at The Balmoral Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2010

Dear Guest

Having read your review, I am glad to learn that in general you encountered high levels of service whilst staying at The Balmoral Hotel recently. Our Michelin starred restaurant, number one, is extremely popular and I am delighted that you enjoyed the experience. We are continuously upgrading our facilities and are currently half way through a refurbishment programme of our bathrooms, which will bring these in line with the levels of decor that you mention you were impressed with in our public areas.

The water in Edinburgh can often appear yellow/green in colour, which is due to the peaty moorland at the water source. (which incidentally also contributes to the distinct flavour of our most famous export, Whisky!) I would like to assure you that this is in no way harmful. I understand that at the time of your stay you spoke with our duty manager who clarified this for you, however, I would like to offer my personal apologies for the poor impression you were left with when you initially reported this issue to our maintenance team.

I sincerely hope that you will consider staying at the Balmoral in the future.

Yours sincerely
Ivan Artolli

Reviewed 2 May 2010

All the other good reviews were not wrong .We stayed here for a special treat and were made most welcome from the first moment. The entrance and reception areas are beautifully kept , all the staff were friendly and very efficient.
Our room overlooked the inner courtyard so not much of a view but very quiet .
Breakfasts were very nice and the service was very good .
We ate in Hadrians one evening and the food was lovely .
The spa pool was lovely and very relaxing after a day walking around .
All in all a hotel worthy of its rating that offered very good service and many nice little touches that make a stay extra special .
We would love to stay here again.

Reviewed 30 April 2010

My partner and I went to Edimburgh for a short break and stayed at the Balmoral, the service is excellent, the staff is genuinely helpful and friendly, the spa treatments are to die for, the products they use are in my bathroom since then. The restaurants are great, specially Number One for dinner, Hadrian's Brasserie is a real treat for breakfast, they have this amazing breakfast menu, with very healthy options, try the Japanese breakfast, they also have the Scottish breakfast option. Concierge desk has the most amazing recommendations from horse riding to short trips to the Higlands and of course great nights in top restaurants. Thumbs up to the Rocco Forte Hotels.

Reviewed 24 April 2010

We went from a small hotel with 2 small rooms in London to a wonderful treat in Edinburgh for almost the same price. The Balmoral has a special family package - one room a full price and adjoining room fro the kids free. You get full, and I mean FULL breakfast, a pool, very large rooms (especially compared to London's moderately priced hotels), great service, huge bath and everything you expect at a top hotel. If you calculate how much a full preakfast costs the cost of a night at Balmoral for 2 rooms was about $50 more a night that the London Hotel (top rated moderate hotel Base2stay). It was a special treat for a couple of nights in Edinburgh. The only annoying thing was the extra cost for Internet -though depending on which side you are on you can get service through Burger King's wireless connection.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family