“Best EVER!!”
Review of The Balmoral Hotel

The Balmoral Hotel
Ranked #14 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 18 May 2010

This was by far the best service we have ever had in all of our travels. And that is saying a lot - because we have traveled all around the world. The service is so consistent from the second you pull up to the Balmoral until the second you leave. They bend over backwards for you. They treat you like royalty. They spoil you. It was hard to go anywhere else after being there!! The concierge researched every castle for us. The bellman was so friendly and personable and we enjoyed spending time with him. The late night 24 hour room service Italian man was one of a kind. We could have just spent hours with him- talking! We loved him and his personality.

The "people" really made this trip!! The room was wonderful! It exceeded our expectations! It was big and beautiful and SO quiet! And so clean! The hotel has everything you need. An amazing pool and spa, restaurants, little bar, tea time! And did I mention AMAZING STAFF! OH- And it is in the best location you can ask for- it is in the middle of everything. - walking distance from the castle, from every shop under the sun and the Royal mile. I did not want to leave!!!! I cannot wait to go back!!!! I miss it so much!!

Reviewed 17 May 2010

Had a fantastic trip to Edinburgh in December and the Balmoral was just right. In a good central location, easy to get to and the hotel itself more than lived up to expectations. Celebrated our wedding anniversary in the restaurant - expensive but well worth it!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 May 2010

Perfectly located in the heart of the city, the Balmoral is an elegant, exceedingly comfortable place to stay. Service was impeccable -- from the great concierges, to the front desk staff who found us a hot water bottle, to the doorman who offered to return my rental car for me. We stayed in one of the corner suites which was magnificent. Views in every direction. Well appointed. Felt like a private apartment. The bars and restaurants in the hotel are excellent as well. Pool and fitness center downstairs were quite nice. My only gripe: a hotel of this caliber at these prices should offer free in-room internet, not charge a high daily rate for access. Other than that: five stars.

Reviewed 16 May 2010

Excellent service upon my arrival from front desk staff. Carried throughout our stay for every need by attentive conciege. Room was clean and well appointed. Would definitely recommend.

J. Small

Reviewed 13 May 2010

My wife and I chose the Balmoral Hotel as our "base of operations" for our brief wedding trip to Scotland in September of last year. We had originally planned to be married in Santorini, Greece, but the Greek authorities put up too many roadblocks; as such, we had to sort of scramble a bit to put together a trip to Edinburgh, which was also a finalist for us (so no need to feel bad for us for having to "fall back" on Scotland!) I mention all this because the expediency with which we were required to do our planning left us relying very heavily on the concierge at the Balmoral to assist us in finding a photographer, a florist, hair dresser, and a few other very important arrangements. Joseph Winders is the head concierge there, and I can say without hyperbole that he is the most important man you need to communicate with before you go to Edinburgh. He arranged almost everything for us, or helped us to make the arrangements ourselves. And once we were actually there, the staff took very good care of us, particularly on our big day. A staffer on the concierge team was making sure that everything was delivered timely (flowers, etc); she would ask if we needed anything, to help things go smoothly. When we came down to the lobby, they ordered (and payed for) a cab to take us to the registrar. One of the ladies rushed from behind the counter to hug my wife and tell her how beautiful she looked (we were there alone, so this meant a lot to us). Oh, and on the first night while we were napping the staff wheeled in a top-notch bottle of champagne for congratulations on the coming nuptials.

Now, about the room (it's hard to stop fawning over the staff, they were so incredible). The room we had was much larger than I was expecting, and we had a perfect view of the castle. The bed was extremely comfortable, and the room was beautiful and clean. I will attach some photos when I dig them up, but I think "charming" is a good summary term. Oh, and the location could not be more perfect - easy walk to both Old Town and New Town.

I will briefly mention the restaurant, but it really deserves a whole review on its own. The restaurant is called Number One. My wife and I had our wedding night dinner at the restaurant, and it was one of the most fabulous meals of our entire lives. We had the tasting menu, which - no exaggeration - went on for about 4 hours. Course after course of heaven was brought out, and a sommelier would bring us a wine to pair with the food for each course (yeah, we were a little tipsy afterword!) They even made us a special desert slate for congratulations. Don't miss this restaurant even if you decide to stay elsewhere in Edinburgh.

I will mention that it is not the least expensive hotel you will find in Edinburgh, but to my mind they could charge much more than they do for the service they provide. I'll never forget how they took care of us on this seminal trip for me and my wife. If anyone from the hotel reads this: thank you!!!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank thebigpill
balmoraledinburgh, Manager at The Balmoral Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2010

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. We are delighted that you and your wife chose Edinburgh as your wedding venue and I am pleased to read that my colleagues were able to assist you with the preparations for your big day. Your room, one of our Superior Deluxe King rooms, is one of my personal favourites and I am glad that you liked it and enjoyed the magnificent views of this beautiful city.
Having shared your review with my colleagues, they still recall your visit with fondness and were touched by your kind words. We very much hope that you will have the opportunity to return to The Balmoral in the future.

Yours sincerely

Harry Fernandes
Resident Manager

Reviewed 10 May 2010

The Rocco Forte Group's motto is 'The art of simple luxury" and this sums up our experience at the Balmoral perfectly. We stayed at the hotel at the beginning of May and were allocated a lovely room on the 5th floor, overlooking the North Bridge. From the minute we entered the hotel, the attention to detail and customer service was immediately apparent. Each and every member of staff we encountered could not be more helpful, and it was this that really set our experience at the Balmoral ahead of other hotels, such as those in the Hotel du Vin chain, which can in some cases be more style over substance. The Balmoral still retains its old-world charm and is very understated - the art of simple luxury however is evident in the linens, finishings, food, the aforementioned service....
So, what would I recommend if you're staying at the Balmoral? High tea in Palm Court - but book in advance, it's busy at the weekends; a spa treatment (a great way to relax); cocktails in the bar (very imaginative list).
The beds are very comfortable and the late check-out of 12pm is a luxury in itself!

Reviewed 10 May 2010

I stayed there with my family for on night and found it absoloutely brilliant. All the staff were so helpful and kind. The hotel itself was immaculately presented. The pool was great. The pool even had a bar where you could help yourself to drinks from. Because my family has children we had to eat in Hadriens which did lovely food but wasn't so child friendly. We also weren't going to be able to eat there because it was fully booked. Luckily my eldest son was ill so the staff managed to get us into the restaurant. The rooms were beautifully finished and the beds were extremely comfy. On the downside the bathrooms were a little dated and you could here all the traffic from the road.
Overall this is a great hotel and I would definitely recommend it!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family